Pro Wrestling Only

Doug Williams

Dylan Waco

Doug is a guy I'm considering for the bottom part of my list. He's been ever so consistent over the past 15 years, and he's been a mainstay in the UK scene for most of that time - It was once said that you could go to any BritWres show in the country and you could be guaranteed two things: a pre-main event raffle and Doug Williams in the main. He reminds me of James Mason, in that you can put Doug Williams in a match against anyone, veteran, import or rookie, and he'll put on a good match.

What he has over Mason is that a lot of his better matches have made tape, which helps his case. His RoH run was fun, he was the most reliable competitior in 1PW, putting on some great matches against Nigel McGuinness and Lance Storm, and he's a rare guy who isn't hurt by spending a few years in TNA. He made the British Invasion into an enjoyable faction, despite being paired with two green guys, his run as non-flying X-Division saw good matches against Kendrick and Kazarian, and even his brief TV title run saw him put on a cracker with AJ Styles to win the belt. He's a real contender for my list.

An interesting guy to me because he's really the forgotten founding father of Ring of Honor. I haven't watched early stuff involving him in ages, but I loved him when I first saw him because he felt distinct from the other guys who were a part of that scene, and his finisher was exciting/fresh. I am almost afraid to go back and watch that stuff now, but if someone wants to rattle off a top 10 Williams matches on YouTube or something of that ilk, he's someone I'd be willing to reexamine in the next month or two.

As Dylan mentioned, his early ROH run gets overlooked a lot. He was great in 2002 and up through 2004. He stood out, more so than Ki or Dragon or Danielson and I think that added to a lot of his matches. Love his series of matches with Danielson, his performance in the hour long four-way at Crowning a Champion, and his 7/17 Pure Title match with Alex Shelley.

I highly doubt he'll end up on my list, but he's someone that I considered at the beginning of the project. Very talented wrestler.

Has anyone seen his early Hammerlock stuff? I've got a bunch of compilations but the quality on the DVD conversions are very hit and miss that it makes them a trial to get through. His stuff against Andre used to get tons of praise, but they may have been of the time (were ECW influenced (frying pan ladder anyone!)) and may not hold up well. Still that gives him nigh on two decades working a variety of styles, in various places all over the world against a whole variety of different opponents.

I remember the Eddy match and liking it, although I think I was a bit disappointed because I wanted to see a bit more from Williams. I think what makes him a stronger candidate than most is that he's one of the few guys that can show up and have a decent/good match basically at any time over the last 15 years. He didn't do it that consistently, but when he was on, he was fun to watch.

Has anyone seen his early Hammerlock stuff? I've got a bunch of compilations but the quality on the DVD conversions are very hit and miss that it makes them a trial to get through. His stuff against Andre used to get tons of praise, but they may have been of the time (were ECW influenced (frying pan ladder anyone!)) and may not hold up well. Still that gives him nigh on two decades working a variety of styles, in various places all over the world against a whole variety of different opponents.

Someone's bound to have something.

Really enjoyed the All-Star tag match, there's something about the All Star style I really love. There's not enough places in wrestling where the face will move away from their corner to persuade an audience of kids to yell "cheat" at the heel. I've always kinda thought that All Star would be a perfect place for the WWE to send guys who aren't quite NXT-ready, having good simple matches night after night, and the stage set-up is perfect for getting used to wrestling to the hard camera.