Pro Wrestling Only

[2001-05-24-WWF-Smackdown] Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs D-Von & Bubba Ray Dudley vs Matt & Jeff Hardy vs Edge & Christian (TLC)

Superstar Sleeze

WWF World Tag Champs Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs Dudleyz vs Hardyz vs Edge & Christian - WWF Smackdown! 5/24/01

Never seen this before. Holy. Shit. What a fucking spotfest!

Here is a list of the most insane spots of the match:

1. Christian being dumped from the ladder in the ring over the top rope crashing down on the floor. The catch he totally whiffed on grabbing the top rope to slow down his fall. OW!

2. Jeff Hardy scales an 8 foot ladder to straddle vault over a 20' ladder to SEAT DROP Bubba Ray Dudley. Honorable Mention: The Chair shot that plastered Bubba to set up this spot.

3. Christians brains Chris Jericho with a chair. I would be pissed too if I was Christian.

4. Chris Benoit soars spread eagle from the top rope through a table on the outside. Total belly flop. Best Psychology: Edge & Christian do a Conchairto to Benoit's ribs. Brilliant!

5. 3-D on Christian from the ladder through a fucking table!

I thought the first TLC escalates the spots better and really gives a sense of elimination aspect. I thought that was missing from the stretch run of this match. The Edge spear to Jericho was set up really stupidly (Jericho was nowhere near the belts) and looked super safe compared to everything else. Benoit just scaled the ladders to win. Tremendous spotfest, just did not have the finishing power of the original. ****

• 1 year later...

There's things about all three of the first TLC matches I liked. The original built upon the WM 2000 match and was absolutely nuts. TLC 2 added each team having an outside helper and cut down some of the set up time for the big spots. This one adds a fourth team, has even better pacing and I liked the story with Benoit being helped to the back only to come back later and win the match. Jeff's leap frog spot is nuts and will forever be burned into my memory. I think this is probably #2 behind TLC II, but all three of them are worthwhile viewing. ****1/2

• GSR changed the title to [2001-05-24-WWF-Smackdown] Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs D-Von & Bubba Ray Dudley vs Matt & Jeff Hardy vs Edge & Christian
  • 1 year later...

Considering this was the third TLC match that they had done in 9 months, I thought they did a great job in keeping this feeling fresh. Whilst it's not on the levels of the first two, this has it's own thing going for it, and that's not just because of the addition of Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit being added to the mix. There's some new and innovative spots here, such as the 3D off the ladder and Jeff Hardy's iconic leapfrog legdrop getting a scary upgrade. 

★★★★¼

• GSR changed the title to [2001-05-24-WWF-Smackdown] Chris Benoit & Chris Jericho vs D-Von & Bubba Ray Dudley vs Matt & Jeff Hardy vs Edge & Christian (TLC)