kevinmcfl

USWA WRESTLING: TEXAS

Mv9xG5Ms.jpg?1

7/7/1984: WTBS

7:05-8:05

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to USWA Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer gives a rundown of tonight’s show but says he would first like to show everyone the ending from the title match at the Cotton Bowl between Kerry Von Erich and Jerry Lawler.

The crowd begins to get nervous and really tried to get behind the “modern day warrior” and it worked. He blocks another right hand by Lawler and gives it right back to the champ. The two exchange blows in the center of the ring until Von Erich nails a Tornado Punch and Lawler went down. This was almost the end. Not because Lawler was seriously hurt but because the count by Hayes was lightening quick. Hayes really starts to use his referee power against Lawler now and actually seemed to be helping Kerry. Von Erich clamps in the Iron Claw right in the center of the ring but Lawler refuses to submit. With Lawler basically out on his feet, Kerry Von Erich climbed to the top of the cage and leaped off with a flying cross body block. Somehow Hayes was too close to Lawler and he took as much of the blow as The King. Hayes and Lawler were both down but that was not a problem as Kerry could win by simply walking through the cage and Terry Gordy as in charge of opening the door.

All of a sudden, the Memphis Bounty Hunter, the man in the red and blue mask who has been helping Lawler of late comes charging to the ring and he and Gordy begin to go at it. The fans are going wild and hoping Gordy can stop this man from saving Lawler and his title.

Gordy is able to knock the masked man down and unlocks the cage door as Kerry is about to walk out and become World Champion.

WHAM!

Bam Bam slams the door right off the head of Kerry Von Erich and down goes Von Erich. Gordy relocks the door as the masked man and Gordy begin to hug as the masked man pulls off the mask and it is none other than BUDDY JACK ROBERTS!

Inside the ring, Hayes and Lawler are beating Kerry from pillar to post. Kevin Von Erich and Michael Von Erich rush out to try and help their brother but there is nothing they can do as they have to battle the Freebirds on the outside.

After a few minutes of knocking Von Erich around, Lawler rams Kerry’s head off the cage one more time and then covers him for what might have been the fastest count in wrestling history.

Lawler and the 3 Freebirds embrace in the center of the ring as the Von Erichs try to help their brother who is a bloody mess.

When the video ends, we see that Fritz Von Erich has joined Mercer at the interview desk and Mercer asks him to comment on what we have just seen.

Fritz Von Erich: “Watching that makes me sick”. First and foremost, Michael Hayes and the rest of the Freebirds. I mean to set Kerry up like that. Pretending to care about the death of my son, David and then turning on us on the most emotional night of our lives. Next, Jerry Lawler. You are a disgusting, self-centered human being who just uses his wealth to get what he wants. There is no denying you have skill but it is your actions outside the ring that infuriates me. In fact, I demanded Jerry Lawler be here tonight and now I demand that he comes out here right now!”

ggWhh3n.jpg?2

Lawler struts out to maybe the loudest boos the Sportatorium has ever heard but Lawler is all smiles. Fritz threatens to suspend him for one year for his actions at the David Von Erich Memorial.

Lawler responds: “Listen up old man. I know that most people don’t stand up to you and just let you run this promotion to aid the careers of your talentless sons but I am not most people. I am the King! I know you already went to the rest of the members of the USWA Board of Directors and were not given the permission to suspend me. You were informed that the match was a no disqualification match and that it doesn’t matter that I paid the Freebirds a large sum of money to set up that dumb boy of yours.”

Fritz: “You arrogant, pompous ass. You may be right. I can’t suspend you. I can’t even fine you but I can demand that you work to the contract that you have with the USWA and that allows me to put you in any match, anytime I like and if you run back home to Memphis and miss a title matches, trust you me. I will fine you! I will suspend you. I will strip you of that USWA Title that you have. I know you don’t really care about that World Title. You say the USWA is a second rate organization. We hear all you say when you are back home in Memphis but for some reason you keep coming back. My guess it is for the money or because Memphis is not all it is cracked up to be. Remember, miss one match and I will fine you the largest sum of money in the history of professional wrestling.

Lawler: “Threats and more threats. I can beat anyone you put in front of me. This is a one horse town and I am the only horse you got.”

Fritz: “Well I am glad to hear you say that. Tonight, you will wrestle Kerry in a real match. No Special Bought Referee. No interference from the outside. If you happen to win by disqualification. I will strip you of that title and one thing is certain. If you are not the champ, you will no longer be paid like the champ.”

Fritz: “Last thing. I will DEAL with the Freebirds later tonight.”

Fritz stomps off and Lawler is left speechless for once in his life as Bill Mercer tells him he better go get ready for his title shot with Kerry Von Erich.

Mercer hands it off to ring announcer Marc Lawrence for our first bout.

MATCH:

WAHOO MCDANIEL & DICK MURDOCH VS THE NIGHTMARES

Mercer puts over the fact that Wahoo was here just here to do a quick interview but Dusty Rhodes, Murdoch’s normal partner is running late due to car trouble. Wahoo comes to the ring in his full Native American gear while Murdoch comes out Cowboy hat and all.

Mercer makes a little joke about Cowboys and Indians being on the same side and then the match is underway. It is a good opening bout going about 5 minutes where Wahoo shows off some nasty Tomahawk chops and the end comes with a Brain Buster by Murdoch on Nightmare #1.

The most interesting thing about this match was that when it was over, The Red Assassins (Alexis Smirnoff in a Russian Mask and Fidel Sierra, the Cuban Assassin) come to ring side and have a little stare-off with Wahoo and Murdoch but nothing really comes of it.

------------------------------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS------------------------------------------

When we come out of break, Bobby Duncum and the rest of the Outlaws, Ron Bass and Black Bart are standing at the interview desk. Bobby Duncum is hot and screaming that something needs to be done about Dusty Rhodes who knocked each of them in the head with a cowbell the other day in the Cotton Bowl. He demands that Rhodes be suspended and how hypocritical the USWA is. He continues by saying if it was any of his men that did this, they would be suspended for at least a year.

Bill Mercer responds by asking who threw the cowbell into the ring in the first place. (It was Duncum if anyone had missed it)

Duncum refused to answer the question and just keeps rambling on about the corruption of Dusty Rhodes. Mercer has tired of the interview and sends the Outlaws to the ring for their match with PYT.

MATCH:

THE OUTLAWS (RON BASS AND BLACK BART) with BOBBY DUNCUM

VS PYT (BRICKHOUSE BROWN AND SWEET BROWN SUGAR)

PYT had the fans dancing in their seats as the came out to the sounds of Michael Jackson and “PYT”. Brickhouse and Sugar can really dance and the fans were loving it.

As for the match, it was a dandy. It is back and forth for about 8 minutes when Bobby Duncum tried to get involved by getting up on the apron. PYT double drop kicked him off the apron to the delight of the fans. But this gave Black Bart time to recover and clothesline line Sweet Brown Sugar. He went for the running leg drop which he believed would have given them the victory.

WHAM!

Brickhouse had climbed to the top rope and made a perfectly timed jump and drop kicked Bart right in the face when he leaped for the leg drop. There was some confusion as to who was the legal man in the ring but Brickhouse covered Bart for the 3 count. Ron Bass could not make the save as he was tending to Duncum on the outside and was surprised when the ref raised the hand of PYT!

------------------------------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS------------------------------------------

INTERVIEW: ARMAND HUSSEIN

Hussein comes out in some type of Saudi robe, white towel around his head and rounded tip leather boots. This is the first time the fans of Texas have seen him and they do not like what they see.

Hussein seems very comfortable being booed by the fans and just says that each and every one of you will rue the day that the H&H Corporation was formed. He goes on to remind us that the H&H is the joining together of Humperdink and himself.

Bill Mercer reminds him that he promised every one that you would unveil his wrestling stable to us tonight.

Hussein says that members of The Machine are not here tonight but would love to show a quick video of 2 of them. SUPER STRONG MACHINE and SUPER GIANT MACHINE

The video shows two really impressive wrestlers in blue masks with a silver lining instead of holes for the eyes. One of the wrestlers appears to be about 6’0 tall and extremely muscular while the other is a giant who looks to be nearly 7 foot tall.

The footage shows them basically decapitating one Japanese wrestler after another. The muscular one hits all kinds of crazy suplexes, powerbombs DDT’s and lariats while the most impressive thing might have been a Missile Dropkick from the 7’0 giant.

V1tAipl.jpg?1

Bill Mercer really hypes up what he saw and asks if he thinks these wrestlers will be able to handle Texas wrestling. He continues saying that Japan is one thing but Texas is a completely different ball game.

Hussein just laughs and walks away.

Bill Mercer again sends it over to Marc Lawrence who introduces our next bout which is a women’s contest.

MATCH: MADUSA MICELI VS VELVET McINTYRE

Now these girls can really wrestle and the fans love the action but the most interesting thing was that the Texas Heavyweight Champion, Curt Hennig joined Madusa at ringside. At one point during the match, Hennig went over to Bill Mercer and Mercer asks why he was out here. Hennig says that Madusa had agreed to help him in the Cotton Bowl to stop that skank, Sherri Martel and now he is out here to pay back the favor.

Hennig goes back over to ringside and sees Madusa gain the victory with an Airplane Spin.

Just as the match ends, we see Hussein and the two men from the video rush out and attack Curt Hennig. The beating they give him answers all questions as to their size, strength and ability. Madusa could do nothing to slow these two men down.

Ma9Dk0Z.jpg?1

The crowd is awed at these two monsters. PYT rushes out to try and stop the attack and now it is 3 on 2 in favor of the fan favorites but there is still nothing they can do. The Machines throw around PYT like they are little gnats. Brown tried to dropkick Super Giant but he shrugged it off like it never happened. Then Super Giant connected with a standing dropkick of his own right to the temple of Sugar. To the relieve of all in the Sportatorium, the Machines walked off set.

Mercer really hypes up how scary those two men were.

As we come out of break, Fritz Von Erich is in the center of the ring

Fritz: “And now to deal with the Freebirds.” The crowd goes wild. “Hayes, Gordy and Roberts, get your butts down to this ring right now!”

There is a moment’s pause before we hear Lynard Skinnard and “Freebird” blare from the speakers. The crowd is really agitated now and can’t wait to see Fritz hammer the “Birds.”

The Freebirds make their way to the ring and when they get there, they have smug smiles cross their faces and are wearing their newly won World Title belts.

qRSzEtq.jpg?2

Fritz begins by going through what happened in the Cotton Bowl and then explains that since all three of you were involved, you are each being fined $10,000.

The crowd goes wild as Hayes begins to argue. He tries using Lawler’s reason that this was a No DQ match and anything goes and therefore they can’t be suspended.

Fritz is not buying it and says that since Hayes was acting as a referee who was an agent of the USWA and therefore must be held to higher standard. THE FINES STAY.

Hayes responds that nobody treats the Freebirds that way and if you want $10,000 from each of us, you are going to have to come and collect it and that might be hard as you might not be going anywhere for a while.

Hayes motions to the back as if to call out more people as Buddy Roberts pulls a pair of handcuffs from his pocket. The three quickly grab Fritz and handcuff him to the rope and begin to beat on him.

All of a sudden the crowd moans as Lawler is running to the ring and we also hear Jim Mercer screaming he can’t believe his eyes. Coming to the ring with Lawler is none other than the 6’9, 320 pound Ernie Ladd.

Lawler and Ladd stand guard outside the ring as the beating continues inside the ring. The crowd explodes as the 3 Von Erich brothers rush to their father’s. Bam Bam Gordy leaves the ring and joins Lawler and Ladd on the outside. The Von Erichs can’t even get into the ring as they are met half way up the ramp and there is a 3 on 3 battle raging.

Hayes and Roberts just continue the beat down of Fritz on the inside. Hayes has his boot off and is beating him in the head with it. Fritz is busted wide open. Once again the crowd explodes as Wahoo and Murdoch head to the ring. Hayes and Roberts leave the ring and now it is 5 on 5 outside on the Sportatorium floor. Fritz is just slumped over, blood all over the place and is still handcuffed to the ropes.

All of a sudden, we hear Bill Mercer explode “and here comes the American Dream, Dusty Rhodes.

The Dream gives the fan favorites the advantage and he is like a house a fire. Rhodes is throwing wild haymakers and elbows and soon the villains leave the floor. Everybody rushes into the ring to aid Fritz who is in a bad way. Somehow they get the cuffs off him and we see Kerry yelling for a doctor. They try to get Fritz to his feet but he just collapses.

Mercer is heard saying that the ambulance has just arrived. They carry Fritz to the back and it is obvious that Fritz will be accompanied by his sons to the local hospital.

All of a sudden we see Jerry Lawler in the ring with a microphone. “Mission accomplished. I guess we won’t be having a title match here tonight.”

Kerry looks at Dream and with one nod of his head gives Rhodes permission to take his title match. Rhodes rushes to the ring and from out of nowhere, referee Rick Manning is in the ring calling for the bell.

Bill Mercer is wild on the microphone as Rhodes doesn’t care about winning and is just beating Lawler like he has never been beat before. With TV time running out, Rhodes hits Lawler with repeated Bionic Elbows to the top of the head. Lawler just crumples to the mat but Rhodes drags him up by the hair and connects with a Stardust Piledriver.

Rhodes looks at the fans for their approval and they basically give him permission to take the World Title that rightfully belonged to Kerry Von Erich.

Rhodes covers Lawler and gets the 1…2…3.

Rhodes doesn’t celebrate as we here Mercer saying we have a new USWA World Champion.

L31q40N.jpg?1

Mercer signs off and hopes that Fritz is okay. So long from Dallas, Texas.”

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that was one helluva final segment to close this show. Exactly what I'd picture out of this territory. Love to see the Dream come in to save the day for the Von Erichs. It's gonna make now for a very interesting dynamic between Dusty, Lawler & Kerry!

USWA WRESTLING: MID-SOUTH

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

7/21/1984: WTBS

6:05-7:05

TAPED IN SHREVEPORT, LOUISIANA

BhI95rG.png?4

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to Mid-South Wrestling from Shreveport, Louisiana and the Irish McNeil’s Boys Club here on WTBS. I am Jim Ross and my partner and President of Mid-South Wrestling is Cowboy Bill Watts.”

The show starts with Jim Ross turning it over to Cowboy Bill Watts who has some major announcements about USWA Wrestling.

Watts begins by informing us that Championship Wrestling from Florida will no longer be a member of USWA. He cites conflicts of interests as to the reason why.

Watts explains that while USWA is always looking toward expansion, it will consist of Mid-South Wrestling and World Class Championship Wrestling. He explains that you will continue to see all your Mid-South favorites and some new wrestling superstar’s right here on Mid-South Wrestling on WTBS every Saturday from 5:35-7:05. Watts does a little promoting of the USWA sister show, World Class by informing us that WCCW can also be seen right here on WTBS on Sundays from 5:05-6:35.

Watts goes on to explain that in order to keep the integrity of USWA Championships, the USWA National Title is going to be currently suspended until further USWA expansion occurs.

He does explain that each USWA Show will have a gauntlet match and here are the rules for THE GAUNTLET

CMZwt5R.jpg?3

1. The winner of the Gauntlet Match will be given a Medieval Gauntlet Glove as recognition for their accomplishment.

2. Any wrestler who wins 5 Gauntlet Match in a row will get a shot at the USWA World Champion on the next TV show.

3. The opponent of the Gauntlet will be picked randomly each week.

Jim Ross interrupts and asks when do the Gauntlet Matches start?

Bill Watts say tonight and he is about to pick the names out of the hat. The first name he pulls out is Tommy “Wildfire” Rich and the second name he pulls out is Mid-South newcomer, “BAD BAD LeRoy Brown

Ross admits that he doesn’t know too much about this LeRoy Brown when all of a sudden Sir Oliver Humperdink comes out.

Ross: “What are you doing out here Humperdink. This is not your time.”

Humperdink: I was just coming out to inform you that LeRoy Brown is the first winner of the Gauntlet Glove.”

Ross: “And how do you know this”

Humperdink: “Just take a look at this video”

A 3 minute video plays showing a huge 300 pound black man just throwing wrestlers pillar to post.

0Io6NRp.jpg?1

Ross: “Very impressive but I do have one question for you. Why do you have this video?

Humperdink: “Oh I didn’t tell you. He is the latest member of the House of Humperdink.

Humperdink walks off laughing as Jim Ross is heard saying “Good God almighty. Tommy Rich better be on his toes.

Cowboy Bill Watts finishes by announcing that the USWA National Tag Team Titles must be defended today or Ole and Arn Anderson will be stripped of those belts as it has been 30 days since they last defended those belts.

Arn Anderson now comes out to the interview desk and Jim Ross appears annoyed at all the interruptions.

Arn Anderson says that he has not seen hid nor hair of Ole in weeks and is asking for an extension of the 30 day limit.

Cowboy Watts denies this request but says that if Arn can find a new partner who is in the studio tonight, they can wrestle the #1 contenders for those belts right here tonight.

Arn says that he is sure that he can find someone and asks “by the way, who are the #1 contenders?

Watts announces “The Fabulous Ones” and the crowd really explodes.

Jim Ross really hypes up tonight’s action including the Wildfire vs LeRoy Brown match and the USWA National Tag Team match.

------------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------------

As we come out of break, the Sheepherders are at the interview table and they are fuming mad about why they are not the #1 contenders for the USWA National Tag Belts.

Jim Ross informs us that you have lost your lost two matches against the Fabulous Freebirds and the USWA Board has decided you are not inline for a title shot.

Both Sheepherders act as if they were robbed by crooked referees in Texas and that these unfair decisions should not impact their ranking.

Watts continues by explaining that we have video of that match and says that they were indeed beaten fairly.

Watts takes us to a tape of the last few moments of that title match from the HemisFair Arena in San Antonio, Texas.

The video shows a wild brawl that had all 4 men in the ring when Butch Miller stumbles backwards and Bam Bam Gordy caught him with a huge powerslam. Bronco Lubich makes the 3 count as the Freebirds retained their titles.

The Sheepherders march off mumbling something as Jim Ross carries us through the rest of the segment that included two short matches.

MATCH: THE OUTLAWS (Ron Bass & Black Bart) VS TED ALLEN & JOSH STROUD

A quick 4 minute domination that say the Outlaws get the victory after Black Bart nailed Ted Allen with a running leg drop.

Watts and Ross hype up just how tough these Outlaws are.

MATCH: TTIM HORNER VS JR HOGG

Ross and Watts are both convinced that newcomer Tim Horner might be in some trouble against the 350 pound JR Hogg. The match went on for 5 minutes where Jim Ross just kept telling us about all the heart Tim Horner was showing as he took a pretty good beating. Somehow, Horner caught Hogg in a roll up and his energy and excitement really got the crowd going.

----------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS---------------

Jim Ross takes us right back to the ring where he reminds us that this is the first time we have seen the North American Heavyweight Champion, Hacksaw Butch Reed since the Parade of Champions.

MATCH: HACKSAW BUTCH REED VS JOE LIGHTFOOT

llHMQtn.jpg

A nice showcase of the champion’s power. The match lasts only about 3 minutes when Reed followed up a Gorilla Press Slam with a football tackle for the victory.

MusOQ2Q.jpg

As Reed is about to leave the ring, the crowd pops as Junk Yard Dog comes to the ring. We see Dog ask Reed something and Reed just pulls away and is about to go through the middle ropes. JYD grabs him again and asks him something and Reed just throws his hands in the air and continues to leave. JYD again grabs him and by this time, Cowboy Watts has gotten to the ring with a microphone and asks JYD what’s going on.

JYD: “I just want to know why Hacksaw turned on me in the Cotton Bowl when all I was trying to do was calm him down after his match with Ernie Ladd.

Hacksaw: I don’t owe this sucker any explanation. I am the man here in Mid-South. I mean has anyone seen Ernie Ladd since the Cotton Bowl. The answer is no. I beat that goof so bad he has run for the hills and what thanks to I get for getting rid of that sucker who was a thorn in all your sides. I get asked by each of you fans “Where is JYD? How is JYD? I keep telling then every time the going gets rough JYD runs and hides but they don’t want to hear it. JYD, JYD. Come on, you all know I am the man.

JYD: I aint never run and hid in my life. I don’t know what you tawking bout.

Hacksaw: You just a sucker man. In the last year, you done wrestled in like 6 different promotions cause every time you get pushed a bit, you put your head between your tail and head for the hills. You try and come back here after I do all the dirty work and these fans yes and scream your name like you some kind of savior. I am the savior. I am Mid-South. From now on I run alone. I don’t need nobody by my side.

JYD: If that’s the way you want it, have it your way but this is one fight you better believe I aint runnin from.

Hacksaw Reed again turns to walk away and Dog grabs him by the shoulder and tells him “Don’t you disrespect me by walkin away when I’s taking to you.

WHAM!!!!!

Hacksaw Reed nails JYD with a huge right hand and just continues to walk off. JYD takes a moment to get to his feet and you could see he is hot under the collar.

JYD: Mr. Watts, I want to promise you one thing right here today. The Dog is ready for Hacksaw Reed. He might have put me down today but I am ready for him. Boy, you better get ready for the fight of your life.

Cowboy Watts really hypes up this situation and the fans are stunned that Hacksaw seems to have once again turned to the dark side.

-------------COMMERCIAL BREAK/PROMOS-----------

MATCH: THE FABULOUS ONES VS ARN ANDERSON & ?

As the Fabulous Ones finish off their entrance, Ross is really wondering if Arn Anderson has found a tag team partner or if the title will just be handed over to the Fabulous Ones.

All of a sudden Baby Doll appears on the set and again Ross is confused. Baby Doll says she is the manager of the next USWA National Tag Team Champions and she is just out here to congratulate them.

Bill Watts says he did not know that she was the manager of the Fabulous Ones and Baby Doll informs us that she is not.

kemkfXF.jpg?3

All of a sudden we hear some great techno music blaring from the speakers and Baby Doll takes the microphone and asks the fans to put their hands together for the greatest tag team in professional wrestling today…. The Perfect Alliance. The music is catchy and the fans seem into it and love to see the Perfect 10 climbing up to the ring and holding the ropes down for her new team.

First Arn Anderson comes down to the ring and then Jim Ross can’t believe his eyes.

Ross: Not only did Arn Anderson get a tag team partner, he may have gotten the best tag team wrestler in the industry today. Joining Arn in the ring is none other than “Beautiful” Bobby Eaton.

PId9vDz.jpg?2

The match is a 10 minute classic with both teams having their run with the momentum. With Beautiful Bobby in a little trouble, he threw Steve Keirn through the middle ropes out onto the floor. As ref Scrappy McGowan admonished him, Baby Doll got involved as the amazon nailed Keirn with a huge uppercut that left him wobbly. Arn rolled him back in the ring where Beautiful Bobby nailed him with a huge Suplex. Bobby climbed to the top rope where Jim Ross hyped up what he called the most amazing finishing move in wrestling…. The Alabama Jam.

But just before Eaton leaped off the rope, the Sheepherders hit the ring. Nobody was sure who they were after but all six men where in the ring brawling it out. Sheepherders were hitting Fab Ones. The Perfect Alliance was hitting Sheepherders. Fab Ones were trying to battle everyone. It was a wild seen with Scrappy McGowan calling repeatedly for the bell.

Jim Ross explains that this match has been declared a No Contest and he guesses the USWA Board of Directors will have to get together and come up with a solution to the USWA National Tag Titles.

GAUNTLET MATCH

MATCH: TOMMY RICH VS Leroy BROWN with SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK

Jim Croce’s Bad Bad Leroy Brown blares as Humperdink leads Brown to the ring. Humperdink is strutting around waving his walking stick like a proud father while Ross and Watts really hype up how big and powerful this man looks. The crowd has a nervous murmur for Tommy Rich but everybody knows that Wildfire will never back down.

As for the match, Brown takes control early as he attacked before the bell and he has his way with Rich for the first 5 minutes. Finally, Wildfire ducks under a right hand and the two exchange blows until Rich finally knocks down Brown. The crowd goes crazy as Rich is on a roll. He catches Brown in a sleeper as Humperdink jumps up on the apron. Ref Pee Wee Anderson goes right at him and orders him down but the two are now involved in a heated argument.

The crowd starts to moan as Jim Ross announces the arrival of the Devil as Kevin Sullivan hits the ring. He is going wild on Rich and to the dismay of the crowd, Buzz Sawyer is right behind them. Pee Wee Anderson senses something is wrong and turns around to the chaotic scene. He quickly calls for the bell and disqualifies Brown but Rich needs help as he is being beaten all over the ring.

Ross announces the arrival of the cavalry as Mike Graham, The Fab Ones and JYD hit the scene. Sullivan and his Army of Darkness scatter and it seems like Rich is going to be okay. The fan favorites dare Sullivan to enter the ring but he thinks better of it as they leave the ring area.

Ross announces that Wildfire has won the first ever gauntlet match and now is just 4 victories away from a World Title Shot on National TV.

Jim Ross says “sorry folks, we are out of time. So long from Shreveport, Louisiana.

While I'm guilty in a lot of ways in following with history, one of the great things about this sort of fantasy writing is changing things up....I'm looking forward to seeing the progression of Arn/Bobby as a team because while they did team up in '92 in WCW....I think they could have been a Hall of Fame tag team had they hooked up this early in their career IRL. Great stuff going on in the USWA as always...one of my favorite reads!

Arn Anderson AND Bobby Eaton. That's it, I quit. I love it. Such a fun team in '92, can't wait to see what happens here in '84! It also kills any hopes of forming the real Horsemen in MACW! Haha! I know I just spoke of the roster in Memphis, but damn does this roster have a lot to work with too. Another really fun read, keeping up with USWA is fun, things happening so fast and quick here.

7/22/1984: WTBS

5:305-7:05

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas.

Mercer really hypes up the fact that once again the program is going to be called World Class Championship Wrestling.

Mercer really reviews the attack on Fritz Von Erich by the Freebirds from last time and shows the video of the event. He continues to explain the Fritz is in an area hospital recovering but will be just fine. In fact, Fritz is hard at work and has sent in a video type for all of us.

The video begins with Fritz sitting up in a hospital bed with his head bandaged and he is speaking very slowly but clearly and straightforward enough that everyone knows he means business.

Fritz begins by thanking the United States Wrestling Association for allowing him to go back to the old name, World Class Championship Wrestling.

Fritz continues by explaining that Jerry Lawler has lodged a complaint stating that Dusty Rhodes should not be the new USWA World Champion as the match was never sanctioned by Fritz. For those of you that missed it, Fritz was unconscious and Kerry accompanied his father to the hospital instead of taking his title match against Lawler. Kerry actually told Rhodes to take the match. Fritz says as much as he hated to admit it but Lawler is correct. Nobody in the USWA sanctioned that match and therefore, in effect, it did not take place. Jerry Lawler is reinstated as the World Champion but I am sticking to my guns. He is going to have to defend his title each and every week in the USWA or else he will be stripped of that belt. So Jerry Lawler get ready because tonight, my son, Kerry Von Erich is wrestling for your World Title. If you do happen to win tonight, you will meet the American Dream Thursday night at the Frank Irwin Center in Austin, Texas.

Fritz now heads into the next order of business which is Curt Hennig. Fritz informs us that Hennig was seriously injured at the hands of the SuperStrong Machine and the Super Giant Machine. Doctors have informed the USWA that he will not be able to defend his Texas Heavyweight Title in the mandatory 30 days so he has decided to vacate that belt. We will be holding an 8 man, one night tournament to fill the championship. Some of the wrestlers will include Kevin Von Erich, Dick Murdoch, The Great Kabuki, Terry Gordy, and Ron Bass. This tournament will also be on that same card in Austin.

Fritz sits up a bit and asks the camera man to come in closer. He looks right into the center of the camera and finishes with. “And to the Freebirds. If it is the last thing I do on the face of this earth, I will get my revenge on you for what you did.

The video ends and Mercer really hypes up what they just saw. He reviews some of the points and then gives the run-down of tonight’s show. He really hypes up World Title Match but he also hypes up the fact that Tommy Rich is here tonight attempting to get his second win in the Gauntlet Challenge.

Mercer pulls out a Cowboy hat and says he is going to pull out the name for Tommy Rich’s opponent…… and it is none other than Freebird Buddy Robert. Wow that is going to be some match

Mercer now hands it over to Marc Lawrence who introduces our first match.

MATCH:

DUSTY RHODES & DICK MURDOCH VS THE WILD HOGS (King Harley & JR Hogg)

rKUTiID.jpg?1

The fan favorites control most of the bout and get the victory after Rhodes connected a Piledriver on JR Hogg.

The winners head to the interview desk where Murdoch takes the lead……”Where are the Outlaws? Where is Bobby Duncum? Gone! I mean one match with the Texas Outlaws and those sissys ran for the hills. Nobody can mess with Texas! Freebirds, you say you from Bad Street. Well Dusty and I didn’t even have streets. We grew up on dirt paths and worked our fingers to the bone to get to where we are today. Anytime you girls want us to take those titles, we are ready for you.

Rhodes….”Freebirds! Lemme tell you somtin baaaaby! We are coming to Bad Street. You can’t go around sucker punchin and stompin whoever you choose. When you hit Fritz, you set off the American Dream. Let me tell you, I am as angry as lion on a hunger strike. You Freebirds got no respect. When we all said and done with cha, you will have respect but you won’t have any tag team titles. And now for Mr. Jeeeery Lawwwler. You escaped with that title of yours on a technicality. Well you won’t be so lucky this week. I mean either Kerry’s gone a get ya tonight or I am going to get ya in Austin. Your days are numbered!

dp0wejE.jpg?1

When we come out of break, none other than Playboy Gary Hart is at the interview desk where he announces he is back in Texas to take complete control of World Class Wrestling. He says that he is not here to make friends. He is not here to appease the Von Erich family. He is here to simply control the Sport of Kings. He announces that you are familiar with two of his wrestlers, The Great Kabuki and Mr. Saito but that tonight you will see his newest acquisition.

Mercer: “and who might that be?”

Hart: “None other than the Iron Sheik.”

WmCwAkT.jpg?1

Mercer: “Have you no respect. No Patriotism. You take a man from Iran and this point in history!

Hart: “I just told you that I was here for one reason only, to win championships and as you are about to see, the Iron Sheik is capable of winning many championships.

MATCH: The Iron Sheik with Gary Hart vs Tony Garea

Sheik is waving that Iranian flag it is a surprise that there was not a riot in the Sportatorium. Sheik is yelling, “Tehran, Iran…. Tehran, Iran and the fans are letting him have it.

As for the match. Garea does his best but the Sheik is just too tough. The match was a 5 minute contest that ended with the Camel Clutch.

Mercer get us right back to the ring for our next bout.

MATCH: GENTLEMAN CHRIS ADAMS VS TRACY SMOTHERS

GpUnquO.jpg?1

The fans where really surprised to see Adams back in Texas and they see the number of Von Erich foes just mounting. This match goes about 4 minutes as Adams carries all the action as he just tries to teach the rookie the ropes. Adams does whack him around a bit and the ends comes with a nasty Superkick.

Adams heads over to the interview desk and the fans are really giving it to him. Adams says that this “American Class” is exactly what brought him back down here. He goes on to say that wrestlers are talking about how Fritz Von Erich continues to ty and give his sons every advantage in this company. He looks right in the camera and says, “It doesn’t matter. He can give them every short cut he can find but when I hit a Von Erich with a Superkick, they are not getting up. Adams also says he is here to be the next Texas Heavyweight Champion and is looking forward to the upcoming tournament in Austin, Texas.

Bill Mercer explains to us that we now know 7 of the 8 entries into that tournament. “I wonder who the 8th will be.”

4f43LYy.jpg?1

When we come out of the break we see the World Tag Team Champions, The Fabulous Freebirds are at the interview desk.

Michael Hayes takes the microphone and begins…

“Fritz, it might be hard for you to talk and all right now. I am sure your mouth is wired shut and you are drinking your dinner through a star but be honest. Walking down BAD STREET is one nasty trip. I mean you only reached the first house and ended up in the hospital. You are angry because we out suckered you. You tried to fix a World Championship bout for your spoiled son, Kerry. All I did was make sure that was not going to happen. Then you have the nerve to fine us $30,000. I mean the money is no big deal. We make that in one night! Oh, and by the way. We made more than that at the Cotton Bowl thanks to Jerry Lawler. He paid us well to wrap that steel cage door around Kerry’s head. He bad us well to handcuff you to the ropes and beat the snot out of you.”

Bill Mercer….”Enough of this topic, I mean I am disgusted. So what plan to you have for tonight. I mean Buddy Robert got Tommy “Wildfire” Rich in the ring next and then if you interfere in the World Championship match tonight, Lawler will lose the title.”

Hayes: First of all jack, Buddy don’t need no plan to beat Rich and Lawler has it all under control.”

The Freebirds walk to the ring for the Gauntlet Match.

GAUNTLET MATCH:

BUDDY ROBERTS VS TOMMY RICH

Even though Rich has not spend much time in Texas, the fans are behind him and hopes he puts Roberts in his place. As for the match, it is a great for TV as it has it all. Rich has to deal with not only Roberts but Hayes and Bam Bam on the outside. Rich took control of the match and then surprised Buddy Roberts with a Lou Thesz Press for the victory.

As soon as the three count was made, Hayes and Gordy hit the ring and went after Tommy Rich. It was like the Von Erichs new this was coming and they hit the ring immediately. Kevin, Kerry, Mike and Tommy Rich took it to the Freebirds who were all thrown from the ring.

They were all furious and Terry Gordy tried to get back in the ring but Hayes pulled him down as he thought it was better to fight another day. Tommy Rich thanked the Von Erichs as Bill Mercer reminds us that Rich is now just 3 victories away from a World Title shot.

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

JERRY LAWLER VS KERRY VON ERICH

As we come out of break, we go right to Marc Lawrence who introduces the World Champion who struts out to a chorus of boos.

As “Tom Sawyer” by Rush begins to blare from the speakers, the fans at the Sportatorium are all on their feet.

Lawler plays coy for a few minutes as he hopes to delay as he knows there are only a few minutes left. Kerry loses patience and rushes in too quickly and the King caught him with a knee to the gut. Lawler now used his “skills” to harass the champion for a few minutes but somehow Kerry managed to escape a second rope fist drop for a momentum changer. It was now Kerry’s turn to go wild. He used the Iron Claw to weaken Lawler and then went for his Tornado Punch but Lawler was smart enough to fall out of the ring out onto the floor.

Bill Mercer explains that there is only about one minute left. Kerry follows him out by Lawler is able to throw a shoulder block into Kerry’s gut and knocks the wind out of him. Lawler now picks him up and drops Kerry neck first across the apron and Kerry hits hard right at the base of the ring. Lawler quickly goes to pick him up but suddenly jumps backwards.

Bill Mercer: Oh my God, what is that…..? A giant snake is crawled out from under the ring and is slithering around Kerry. We need to get some help out here. I am sorry folks but we are out of time.

As the camera peers in, we see the snake starting to wrap itself around Kerry and a long face with a mustache peering out hiding the ring. Mercer begins to sign off but stops. “Who is that man? We will get to the bottom of this. So long from Dallas, Texas.”

KxhkNjS.jpg?1

HOUSE SHOW OF THE WEEK

7/26 – Ft. Worth, Texas – Will Rodgers Center

do6tnsw.jpg?1

ONE NIGHT TOURNAMENT TO CROWN A NEW AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

RD 1:

Kevin Von Erich defeats The Great Kabuki with the Von Erich Frog Splash

Terry Bam Bam Gordy defeats Sweet Brown Sugar with the Oriental Spike

Chris Adams defeats Wahoo McDaniel with a Superkick

Dick Murdoch defeats “Cowboy“ Ron Bass with the Brainbuster

SEMIFINFALS

Terry Bam Bam Gordy defeats Kevin Von Erich with help from Michael Hayes

Chris Adams defeats Dick Murdoch with the Superkick

NON TOURNAMENT MATCH:

Kerry Von Erich defeated the Iron Sheik when he followed up the Iron Claw with a Tornado Punch.

FINALS

In a wild finish, Chris Adams defeats Terry Gordy to become the new American (Texas) Heavyweight Champion. While the ref was knocked down, Michael Hayes entered the ring and actually rubbed some sort of cream into the eyes of Chris Adams and blinded him. Gordy now fighting a man who couldn’t see, began to toy with him. Once the ref was back on his feet, Hayes gave Gordy the sign to finish him off with the piledriver. Hayes turned to play to the crown but as Gordy moved in

WHAM…..

Adams blindly threw a Superkick connecting with Gordy and Adams was able to find him for the three count. Hayes and Roberts rushed in and began to beat on Adams. It looked like nobody was going to help Chris as he has burned a lot of bridges in WCCW of late but then the crowd erupted as all three Von Erichs rushed to the ring. The Freebirds high tailed it out of the ring and it appears as if Adams and the Von Erichs are back on the same page.

A5wJwFO.jpg?2

USWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH

Jerry Lawler and Dusty Rhodes fought to a 30 minute wild, brawling draw. It was a crazy match but to the fans surprise, Lawler played it on the up and up for the most part.

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

7/28/1984: WTBS

BhI95rGs.jpg?3

“Hello again everybody. Welcome to Mid-South Wrestling from Shreveport, Louisiana and the Irish McNeil’s Boys Club here on WTBS. I am Jim Ross and my partner and President of Mid-South Wrestling is Cowboy Bill Watts.”

The show starts with Jim Ross taking us to a video from the Lake Front Arena in New Orleans and a World Tag Team Title Match between The Fabulous Freebirds and The Fabulous Ones. The end came with Michael Hayes getting involved in the match. Terry Gordy was in control of the action in the ring and he tossed Stan Lane through the ropes. Michael Hayes went over and gave a good kick to the gut of Lane and then he rolled him quickly back into the ring. Ref Pee Wee Anderson went to admonish Hayes and this allowed for a quick double teaming of Lane which ended in a running power slam by Gordy. The Freebirds all looked out at the New Orleans crowd and mocked them with their “We got the belts” hand gesture. While this was going on, Keirn quickly ran in the ring and dragged Lane over to the corner, then legally tagged himself in and then pulled Lane out onto the floor. Keirn quickly laid down right where Lane had been power slammed.

Pee Wee Anderson and Hayes end their little spat and Hayes orders Gordy to finish him off with a Piledriver even though it should have been unnecessary. Gordy picks up who he thought was his victim when all of a sudden, Keirn rolled him up for the 1….2….3.

The crowd goes wild as Tommy Rich and JYD rush out to join in the celebration.

When the video ends, The Fabulous Ones are at the desk with their new tag titles and the fans are excited.

The Fabulous Ones thank them for their support and say they are going to be fighting champs.

All of a sudden the Sheepherders appear and say they are the rightful owners of those titles and demand a title shot.

As soon as that is done, Baby Doll leads out the “Perfect Alliance”, Arn Anderson and Beautiful Bobby Eaton and they go right after the Sheepherders saying they are the best team in the Mid-South and they should get the next title shot.

The Fab Ones just sit back and smile as the two heel teams are having a war of words.

oIZzNRF.jpg?1

Finally, Jim Ross ends the interview and says it is time to get to the ring and we are going to kick it off with a bang. It is the USWA Gauntlet Match where Tommy Rich is looking for his third straight victory. He reminds the fans that if Wildfire reaches 5, he will earn a Televised World Title Match.

Ross has the hat on the table with all the other Mid-South wrestlers’ names in it and he reaches in to pick Rich’s opponent….. Tim Horner.

GAUNTLET MATCH

MATCH: TOMMY RICH VS TIM HORNER

The match pits Rich against newcomer and fan favorite Tim Horner. In a nice change of pace, the two shake hands at the opening bell. Rich controls most of the match but Horner shows good technical skill and a lot of heart. The end comes after Rich connects with a Lou Thesz Press. After the match, the two shake hands again.

As we go to break, Jim Ross hypes the fact that Wildfire is just two matches away from a World Title Shot!

As we come out of break, Sir Oliver Humperdink and Kevin Sullivan are at the interview desk and Sullivan is ranting that he cannot believe who he saw entering the arena.

Sullivan: I leave Championship Wrestling in Florida cause of the sins of Eddie Graham. In just weeks since I leave, the whole company goes belly up. What does that tell you I carried that company. Now I see Eddie Graham’s son coming into this arena with a wrestling bag. Well, I have said it before and I will say it again. The sins of the father are the sins of the son. Michael Graham, if you step foot into that ring, I am warning you that it may be the last thing you do. Your father suspended me. He fined me. He tried to run me out of wrestling. Now I will take it upon myself to end your career.

Humperdink: We know all you people got each other’s backs. Someone like Eddie Graham hits some bad times. Cowboy Bill Watts gives his son a job. Well this time, the House of Humperdink is sticking together. Mike Graham, we are coming for you.

Jim Ross: Well I do not think that this is what this sport is about and I believe this interview is over. Let’s get back to the ring.

MATCH:

THE OUTLAWS (Ron Bass & Black Bart) VS MIKE REED & JOHNNY MANTLELL

A quick 4 minute domination that saw the Outlaws get the victory after Ron Bass nailed Mike Reed with a massive lariat.

Watts and Ross hype up just how tough these Outlaws are.

MATCH: BILLY JACK HAYES VS JOE LIGHTFOOT

Ross and Watts both hype up the muscular Billy Jack in his first appearance here in the Mid-South. The women in the audience really seem to like him as he enters the ring. Jack is one strong hombre and the end comes rather quickly by submission after a nasty swinging full nelson.

Haynes goes over to the interview desk where he is welcomed to area and Billy Jack hypes up all the stars in the area and says that he just to compete against the best. He does add that he likes to play it on the up and up and doesn’t like what he has seen out of Humperdink and Sullivan.

pii2UiT.jpg?1

Jim Ross takes us right back to the ring where we see the North American Champion in action.

MATCH: HACKSAW BUTCH REED VS TED ALLEN

A nice showcase of the champion’s power. The match lasts only about 3 minutes when Reed followed up a Gorilla Press Slam with a football tackle for the victory.

Reed comes over to the interview desk where Jim Ross asks Reed if he thinks he went a little far in punching JYD last week. It seemed like he just asked you a question.

Reed: “I warned that sucker to get out of my face and who does he think he is asking me anything! I am the man in Mid-South and I do what I want and right now I want to walk alone. If that sucker gets in my face again it will be the last thing that fool does!

The crowd explodes as JYD comes out.

JYD: You think I’m afraid of you boy! You just said that the next time I get in your face you goin to do sometin about it. Well here I am. Let’s get in the ring right now and settle this!

JYD heads right to the ring and Hacksaw follows him. Jim Ross hypes up that we are about to see an unexpected main event. As soon as the two are in the ring the brawl is on. After about a minute of a slugfest. The Dog grabs him by the back of the neck as gives him one of those massive headbutts. He then whips him into the ropes and catches him with a THUMP (powerslam)

Reed quickly rolls out of the ring as the Dog begins howling to the moon as the crowd pops. Reed starts to get up on the apron but thinks better of it and heads to the locker room.

MATCH: MIKE GRAHAM VS JR. HOGG

Just before the match, Graham quickly goes over to the interview desk where he thanks Watts for bringing him into the Mid-South and make no mistake about, he is not afraid of Sullivan or any other member of the House of Humperdink. He adds that while Sullivan may have a bunch of goons with him, Graham says he has lots of friends who have his back.

As for the match, it lasts only about two minutes with Graham controlling the tempo before Sullivan, Buzz Saywer and Bad Leroy Brown hit the ring. As they begin to throw Graham around the ring and beat him from pillar to post, you can hear Sullivan screaming, “The sins of the faaather are the sins of the son!”

It only takes about 30 seconds before Jim Ross is heard, “Here comes the cavalry….. it is Tommy Rich, JYD, newcomer Billy Jack Haynes and yes by God it is BIG BLACKJACK MULLIGAN.

The fan favorites quickly take control of the ring and toss the evil ones out except for Humperdink who has been caught by Mulligan in a nasty Brian Claw and he is writhing in pain.

J5MdPU1.jpg?2

Jim Ross says “sorry folks, we are out of time. So long from Shreveport, Louisiana.

As the screen fades to black we see one last promo for the upcoming card at the River Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Key Matches include:

Tommy Rich vs Buzz Sawyer

Mike Graham and Blackjack Mulligan vs Leroy Brown and Kevin Sullivan

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE: Freebirds vs The Fabulous Ones

NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: HACKSAW REED VS JYD

Much like the current day brand split, there is some definite competitor inside the USWA between World Class and Mid South. I am interested to see what happens with some sleeper but great guys like Adams and Butch Reed. I could see them both being top tops in the USWA to go against someone like Lawler and the JYD. I am still amazed to see how well you are balancing the two rosters and all the talent. Keep doin work!

KxhkNjS.jpg?1

uipx84L.jpg?1

7/29/1984: WTBS

5:305-7:05

TAPED IN DALLAS, TEXAS

jcysDrs.jpg?1

02NQn1Us.jpg?1

BILL MERCER welcomes all the fans to World Class Championship Wrestling here in Texas from the World’s most Famous Wrestling Arena, the Sportatorium in downtown Dallas. Mercer hypes up tonight’s show that includes a World Title Match between Jerry Lawler and Dusty Rhodes, The Gauntlet Match where Tommy Rich goes for victory #4 and much more.

Mercer calls out the new Texas Heavyweight Champion, Chris Adams and Adams comes out with a bandage over one eye and Mercer explains to those that were not at the Will Rodgers Center that Chris sustained this injury at the hands of Michael Hayes who blinded him by sticking some sort of cream into his eyes.

Adams says that he would like to first thank the Von Erichs for coming out and helping him. He understands that they have not always seen eye to eye of late but he is grateful and as soon as his eye heals, he will have the Von Erichs back in the fight against all the evils in World Class.

Next Adams says that he is sick and tired of the Freebirds and vows revenge.

All of a sudden Playboy Gary Hart comes out to the interview desk where he warns Adams that it is not the Freebirds who should be on his mind. He announces that he has signed another great wrestler and his entire stable has set their focus on taking that title away from you.

Adams says he will be a fighting champion and for Hart to bring it on.

Hart tells him to be careful what he asks for and to watch this first match before he decides if he wants to fight.

MATCH:

THE GREAT KABUKI & THE IRON SHEIK with GARY HART

VS Steve Simpson and Kelly Kiniski

Mercer can’t believe how violent Hart’s men where as they made quick but brutal work of their opponents. The end came when The Iron Sheik caught Simpson in the Camel Clutch and Kabuki made sure that Kiniski couldn’t make the save as he nailed him with a thrust kick.

As the match comes to an end, Bill Mercer says it is time to find out who Tommy Rich will face in tonight’s Gauntlet match. He takes out the hat and pulls out a name….. Jake “The Snake” Roberts.

Bill Mercer: Wow. That explains things. I thought we caught a glimpse of Jake Roberts last week under the ring when that snake wrapped itself around Kerry Von Erich. Tommy Rich better be ready for anything. That match is coming up next.

When we come out of break, Playboy Gary Hart is back at the interview desk and Mercer asks him why he is back?

Hart: I told you that later tonight you would meet the newest member of my stable and the time has come.

None other than Jake the Snake comes out with that large snake around his neck.

Mercer starts to warn him to get that thing out of here and Snake asks “Why? Damien just wants to give you a little hug.

Snake laughs as he puts the snake into a large bag and then ties it as he brings it with him to the ring

GAUNTLET MATCH:

JAKE “THE SNAKE” ROBERTS VS TOMMY RICH

The match is a good back and forth for about 8 minutes when all of a sudden Gary Hart tripped Wildfire Rich. Rich went out to the floor and was in hot pursuit of Hart.

WHAM……

Roberts snuck out the other side and caught Rich coming around the corner with a boot to the face. Snake pulled Rich up by the hair and nails Rich with a DDT on the concrete floor. Rich never made it into the ring again as Bronco Lubich made the 10 count.

Snake slithers back out of the ring and unties the bag and let’s Damien slither all over the body of Tommy Rich.

Bill Mercer says “Thank God this is Texas where we are used to snakes or there would be a lot more screaming in the Sportatorium tonight. Jake the Snake is now is possession of the Gauntlet Glove and is just 4 more wins away from a World Title Shot!

Mercer get us right back to the ring for our next bout.

YMRwDl3.jpg?2

MATCH: PYT VS THE WILD HOGS (King Harley Hog and JR Hogg)

The fans where really excited as we hear Michael Jackson and “PYT” blaring from the speakers. They were out of their seats dancing as they love the way Brickhouse Brown and Sweet Brown Sugar move.

All of a sudden we hear Mercer say “Hey that’s not Sweet Brown Sugar with Brickhouse Brown. It’s former Midnight Express member Norvell Austin. The crowd is also a bit confused but keep on dancing in the aisles.

As for the match, it is all PYT. The end comes about 4 minutes in as Brickhouse nails JR Hogg with 2 quick Missile drop kicks and gained the pin.

PYT goes over to Mercer who asks “Where is Sweet Brown Sugar.”

Brickhouse Brown: ”Forget that jive turkey. I was getting nowhere with him as a partner. I now got myself a winner and World Class Championship Wrestling beware. We are coming for the Tag Titles. We don’t care if it’s the Von Erich, the Texas Outlaws (Rhodes and Murdoch) or any other of your loser teams.

PYT walks off ad Mercer brings us to break by saying “Well that was very interesting. We will have to see what Sweet Brown Sugar has to say about it all.”

MATCH: MICHAEL HAYES VS MIKE VON ERICH

When we come out of the break we see the Fabulous Freebirds are at the interview desk. Bill Mercer asked the Freebirds what happened to their World Titles.

Michael Hayes takes the microphone and begins…

“I know there are a lot of people that don’t like us. That includes the fans. The wrestlers. The promoters. And of course the referees. They are all jealous. They all want to live on Bad Street. They want the money. They want the women. They want the fame. Well, this time the ref cheated us out of our belts. I mean many of you saw the video. Steve Keirn illegally entered the ring. The belts are rightfully ours and we are going to take them back this week in Baton Rouge.

One more thing. Fritz, is it right to send a boy to do a man’s job? I mean are you kidding me. Sending in your son Mike to try and get even with me. He is just going to end up in the hospital bed next to you.

The Freebirds head to the ring as the crowd explodes for the Mike who is running to the ring in an attempt to get even for what the Freebirds have done to Kerry and his father.

As for the match, the crowd gets everything it wants. That is except the victory. Mike Von Erich really took it to Hayes but just couldn’t get the victory. In the end, Hayes surprised Von Erich with a thumb to the eye and then turned into a running bull dog for the pin.

After the match, the other Freebirds jumped in the ring and began to taunt Mike but the crowd roared as his brothers came to his rescue. The Von Erichs and The Freebirds really went at it in a pier six brawl until Bill Mercer took us to break.

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH

JERRY LAWLER VS DUSTY RHODES

As we come out of break, we go right to Marc Lowrence who introduces the World Champion who struts out to a chorus of boos. These boos all change to cheers as the American Dream comes out to the ring.

Mercer really gives both Lawler and Rhodes a lot of credit for their recent match at the Will Rodgers Center that ended in a draw. This match is another classic and the fans are really surprised at how clean Lawler plays it. While it was a bit of a brawl, there was no outside interference. No paid off refs. No nothing. Just a wonderful match. Both wrestlers nailed their signature moves including the second rope fist drop by Lawler and the Stardust Piledriver by Rhodes but neither could get the victory. It was another time limit draw as Mercer says we are just about out of time.

All of a sudden, Gary Hart’s stable rush to the ring. Kabuki and Jake the Snake go right for Rhodes. Instead of beating him, they more contain him. On the other hand, The Iron Sheik is all over Jerry Lawler who is just too exhausted to fight back. The Sheik is able to strap in the Camel Clutch and we see Lawler in pure agony. As much as the fans of the USWA has been against Lawler, they do not want to see the Iron Sheik do that to any American. We hear Sheik screaming, Tehran, and Iran over and over again.

Bill Mercer says this is one of the worst things he has ever seen in World Class. So long from

Dallas, Texas.”

As the screen fades to black we see one last promo for the upcoming card at the HemisFair Arena in San Antonio, Texas. Key Matches include

TEXAS HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Chris Adams vs Mr. Saito with Gary Hart

6 Man Tag Action: The Von Erichs vs The Freebirds

Dusty Rhodes & Jerry Lawler vs The Iron Sheik & the Great Kabuki

PYT (Norvell Austin & Brickhouse Brown) vs Brian Adias & Al Madril

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

MID-SOUTH WRESTLING: HOUSE SHOW OF THE WEEK

7/29 – Baton Rouge, Louisiana – Baton Rouge Centroplex

9rzBxdE.jpg?2

Wahoo McDanel defeated Kelly Kiniski with the Indian Death Lock

The Sheepherders defeated Tony Garea and Tracy Smothers by just beating the rookie Smothers from pillar to post. The interesting thing here was that there was some pushing and shoving between the Sheepherders and the Perfect Alliance as one team was leaving the ring and the other was entering.

The Perfect Alliance (Arn Anderson & Bobby Eaton) with Baby Doll defeated Ted Allen and Joe Lightfoot after Arn caught Lightfoot with a spinebuster followed by Beautiful Bobby and the Alabama Jam!

Kevin Sullivan and Leroy Brown defeated Mike Graham and Billy Jack when Humperdink interfered with the cane to Graham’s head.

Tommy Rich defeated Buzz Sawyer by DQ when the rest of Sullivan’s Army interfered.

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP

The Fabulous Ones defeated The Freebirds in a chaotic ending that saw The Sheepherders come to ringside and distracted Buddy Roberts who was caught with a Russian Leg Sweep by Steve Keirn. Roberts appeared to have injured his head on the final move.

MAIN EVENT: NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT TITE MATCH

JYD defeated Hacksaw Reed via DQ when Reed used a chair.

XL1ejom.jpg?1

WORLD CLASS CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING

HOUSE SHOW OF THE WEEK

8/2/1984 – San Antonio, Texas – HemisFair Arena

19gx8r3.jpg?1

Sweet Brown Sugar defeats Johnny Mantell with a missile drop kick.

Rocky Johnson defeats Moondog Cujo by turning the match into a boxing match

PTY (Norvell Austin and Brickhouse Brown) defeats Al Madril and Brian Adias. Sweet Brown Sugar comes out to confront his former partner, Brickhouse Brown about why he left him high and dry. Brickhouse and Austin attacked Sugar and tossed him around the ring for a minute or so until Adias and Madril came to his rescue.

Jake “The Snake” Roberts pinned Rufus Jones after a nasty DDT.

Jerry Lawler & Dusty Rhodes defeat Gary Hart’s Army (The Iron Sheik and The Great Kabuki) when Lawler caught the Sheik in a second rope fist drop. This came as there was chaos outside on the arena floor with Kabuki and Rhodes going at it. The ref was distracted and Gary Hart attempted to hit Lawler with a foreign object but swung and accidently hit Sheik. Lawler quickly climbed the ropes and connected with his finisher.

MAIN EVENT: 6 MAN TAG MATCH: The Freebirds vs The Von Erichs

As if this match needed anything more, Buddy Roberts came to the ring wearing some sort of head gear that he claims was necessary due to an injury he suffered the other night at the hands of the Fabulous Ones. Even the Von Erichs protested, ref Rick Manning allowed it. As for the match itself, it was wild! Mike Von Erich was trapped in the Freebirds corner and really taking a beating. Somehow he fought his way out and made a diving tag to his brother Kerry. All hell broke loose now as all 6 men were brawling in the ring. Kerry tossed Roberts through the middle ropes out onto the floor. Now the three Von Erichs had their way with the remaining two Freebirds. As Roberts finally got up on the apron, he adjusted that head gear and then entered the ring. Roberts went full speed with a diving headbutt with that headgear to kidneys of Kerry Von Erich. Kerry went down like he was shot and while the other wrestlers were at each other’s throats, Buddy calmly covered Kerry for the 1…2…3. The fans could not believe it.

8hfWQP9.jpg?3

8/4/1984: WTBS

BhI95rGs.jpg?3

The show starts with Jim Ross giving us some very exciting news that the USWA is going to add a 6 Man World Championship to its list of titles and there will be an organization wide tournament to decide the first ever champions.

Ross goes on to announce that the tournament will be starting right here tonight and culminate with the finals at the next USWA Super Card on Labor Day.

Ross also explains that Tommy Rich lost the Gauntlet Glove to Jake Roberts who is here tonight going for his second win.

Jake Roberts comes out to the interview desk with that large snake wrapped around his neck and he has a sly grin on his face.

Ross is very nervous around the snake but he wants to know why Roberts is grinning.

Roberts: I am in Haven man! I been wondering around the swamps here in Louisiana all day long and seen snake after snake slithering around. This place is like paradise. Then I come in here tonight and I see more snakes. Snakes like JYD. Snakes like Tommy Rich. Snakes like Big Blackjack Mullingan. The best part of all this is I aint afraid of no snakes! Damien and me are going to crush the life out of whoever is next on the Gauntlet! I am 4 wins away from a title shot. Just 4 wins away from wrapping Damien around Jerry Lawler. Just 4 wins away from being World champ.

Ross wanting Damien and Roberts to both go away says it’s time for the Gauntlet Match and let’s see who you will be facing. Ross pulls out the hat and choices Roberts opponent………. Blackjack Mulligan!

As Roberts heads to the ring, he is still got the sly grin on his face.

GAUNTLET MATCH

MATCH: JAKE “THE SNAKE” ROBERTS VS BLACKJACK MULLIGAN

The match is an entertaining one from the get go. Blackjack controls the early momentum but Jake slithers away each time he tries to get him in the Brain Claw. Mulligan rushed in one too many times and Roberts caught him with an uppercut. Roberts shoved Mulligan into Pee Wee Anderson and as Mulligan went to get Anderson up, Roberts caught him in a front face lock. Before Mulligan even knew what hit him. Roberts turned that front face lock into a match ending DDT.

Mulligan laid on the mat and Roberts released Damien who crawled all over Big Mulligan as Jake just kept that evil grin going from ear to ear.

As we go to break, Jim Ross hypes the fact that Roberts is just three matches away from a World Title Shot!

As we come out of break, we see Wahoo McDaniel at the interview desk and he is red hot about recent remarks made by Cowboy Ron Bass about his Native American Heritage. Bass had said that Wahoo was no different than most Indians and was just a fall down drunk who hops around on one foot whenever his crops need rain.

When Wahoo is done yelling, he challenges Bass to a match right now and he heads to the ring and to the delight of all the fans, Bass comes out and is ready to fight.

MATCH:

COWBOY RON BASS VS WAHOO McDANIEL

Wahoo takes off his Headdress and Bass takes off his black cowboy hat and the two are after each other. Wahoo is really laying in those huge Tomahawk Chops and they are echoing all over the studio. Just as the crowd is getting into it, Black Bart comes running out with some kind of paint can and his trusted bull rope. He enters the ring and whips Wahoo a few times. This gives Bass and Bart control and they hog tie Wahoo with those bull ropes. Bart goes for the paint can and then dumps it all on Wahoo.

Jim Ross: “Good God almighty, they have just dumped some sort of tar substance on Wahoo. Bass now has the Indian Headdress and they are ripping it a part feather by feather. No… I can’t believe what I am watching. They are tar and feathering Wahoo with his own headdress. We need to get some help out here right now!”

Wildfire, Billy Jack and JYD rush out to help Wahoo. The Outlaws high tail it back to the locker room as the fan favorites aid Wahoo. As soon as he is untied, he heads back to the locker room in hot pursuit of Bass and Bart.

Jim Ross: Well this will not be the last of this. I can guarantee you that. Wahoo is way too proud to let this score go unsettled.

MATCH: THE PERFECT ALLIANCE (ARN ANDERSON & BOBBY EATON)

VS

TONY GAREA & JOE SALVALDI

A perfect match for the Perfect Alliance. They control it from start to finish with the end coming when “Beautiful” Bobby followed up Arn’s Spinebuster with the Alabama Jam. (A top rope leg drop)

The Perfect Alliance heads over to the interview desk where Baby Doll does most of the speaking.

Baby Doll: We all know who the best tag team in the USWA is. I mean forget the Fabulous Ones. Forget the Sheepherders. It’s The Perfect Alliance and we have been showing that week after week and we deserve a shot at the World Titles. Those uneducated, smelly Sheepherders go around saying they are the number one contenders. That just proves how nut they are. They got no shot at beating the Perfect Team and if we need to prove that, we are ready!

Jim Ross takes us right back to the ring as we hear Queen and “Another One Bites the Dust blaring from the speakers and see JYD entering the ring.

MATCH: JUNK YARD DOG VS NICK KINISKI

A nice showcase of the Dog. The match lasts only about 3 minutes when JYD followed up a series of headbutts with an Irish Whip followed up by a THUMP! (Powerslam)

All of a sudden, the fans erupt into a chorus of boos as a well-dressed Ernie Ladd comes to the ring with a microphone.

ERNIE LADD’S LAIR

Ernie Ladd: SHUT UP AND SIT BACK FOR THE GREATEST SEGMENT IN WRESTLING TODAY. You fans should consider yourself lucky to witness the first ever Ernie Ladd’s Lair where I will bring you the truth each and every week. I will interview some of the best and some of the worst wrestlers that Mid-South has to offer. It is obvious from the start that Cowboy Bill Watts, the racist owner of this company, is trying to have me fail as he has lined up none other than Junk Yard Dog as my first interview.

JYD who was already in the ring from his last bout looks ready to pounce on Ladd

JYD: Ladd, you aint nothing! You are not even a has-been. You are a never was! You can’t handle it in the ring no more so you scheme your way back on TV. Now we have to continue to listen to your bull! I mean right now Hacksaw Butch Reed and I aint getting on to well but he did one thing right. He ran you out of wrestling.

Ernie Ladd: Nobody ran me out of wrestling. I am working right now on building my army back up and a no good Uncle Tom’s like you got no place in this business. I agree with you on one thing. Hacksaw did give me a beating in the Cotton Bowl but I know one thing for sure. If I couldn’t beat that muscled bound freak of nature, then you got no shot! I also know that on the rare occasion I do take a beating, I have the guts to show my face again. Not like you. You are nothing but a yellow bellied coward. I remember you running around here last year under some stupid mask calling yourself Stagger Lee! More like DUMB JYD!

JYD can’t take it anymore and walks out of the ring.

Ernie Ladd: Well there he goes again. Is it JYD or Stagger Lee? It doesn’t matter. When Hacksaw Reed is done with him, he is going to be DEAD!

Ladd drops the microphone ending the first ever segment of Ernie Ladd’s Liar but as he begins to leave the ring Hacksaw Reed comes out. Reed gets right in the face of Ernie Ladd.

Hacksaw Reed: Listen to me Ladd. You a sucker and I don’t want my name coming out of your mouth again. I whooped you in the Cotton Bowl and I will whoop you again. You say you are retired. Then stay home. I am the man in Mid-South. I don’t need you. I don’t need the fans. I just need the North American Heavyweight Title.

Reed begins to walk away and then turns back.

Reed: Oh, I forgot one thing. I need my new manager……

Out walks the one and only Baby Doll who quickly takes the microphone.

Baby Doll: ”Not only does the Perfect 10 now control the Perfect Tag Team. I now will guide the perfectly athlete. The Perfect Alliance would like to welcome Hacksaw Butch Reed to the best wrestling stable in industry today!

MATCH: 6 MAN TAG MATCH

FIRST ROUND OF THE 6 MAN TOURNAMENT

TOMMY RICH, BILLY JACK HAYNES & MIKE GRAHAM

VS

KEVIN SULLIVN, BUZZ SAWYER & BAD LEROY BROWN with SIR OLIVER HUMPERDINK

A wild one from the beginning where neither team waits for the bell. The match begins with all 6 men in the ring in a Pier 6 Brawl. With all the craziness, it was hard for Pee Wee Anderson to maintain order. In the end, it looked like the fan favorites were going to come away with the victory but Sir Oliver Humperdink did everything he could to make sure that did not happen. With 4 men out on the floor, Billy Jack locked in the Full Nelson on Buzz Sawyer. With the ref focused on the action outside the ring, Humperdink entered and swung his walking stick with all his might,

WHAM!!!!!

Somehow Billy Jack must have had eyes in the back of his head as he released the full nelson and ducked at the last second and Sawyer got nailed with the walking stick!

Just as the ref turned back, Billy Jack covered Sawyer for the 1…2…3.

As we are running out of time, Ross hypes up the 6 man Tag Team Tournament and announces that Rich, Billy Jack and Mike Graham have advanced into the second round. He also announces that next week, the full brackets of the tournament will be revealed.

SCREEN FADES TO BLACK /PROMO

CAJUNDOME IN LAFAYETTE, LOUISIANA

Key Matches include:

The Perfect Alliance (Arn and Eaton) with Baby Doll vs Mike Graham & Rufus Jones

Ron Bass vs Wahoo McDaniel

Leroy Brown vs Blackjack Mulligan

Tommy Rich vs Buzz Sawyer

USWA WORLD TITLE MATCH: Kevin Sullivan vs Jerry Lawler

USWA WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE: The Fabulous Ones vs The Sheepherders

NORTH AMERICAN HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: HACKSAW REED VS JYD in a Louisiana Street Fight