Pro Wrestling Only

[1972-03-06-NJPW] Karl Gotch vs Antonio Inoki

GOTNW

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwxas_njpw-1972-karl-gotch-vs-antonio-ino_sport

The main event of New Japan's first ever show. No idea how I'd rate it but I had a blast watching it and was particularly fascinated with how the crowd reacted to the action. Gotch's selling of Inoki's Forearms was amusing for what it was and it made me wonder how selling styles changed throughout history. Honestly the work here seems flashy and quite accessible to me, and Gotch showed he was a solid showman as well in his headscissors escape.

• GSR changed the title to [1972-03-06-NJPW] Karl Gotch vs Antonio Inoki
  • 4 years later...

I was a little disappointed by this match as I know what both guys can do, but there were stretches in the match they showed that off. I really wish there was more film available on Karl Gotch because every time I see him I am blown away by the style he brings to his mat wrestling and his ability to land his suplexes out of nowhere. He is a guy that without a doubt would be a great wrestler in any era. I give this match **1/2 as there is nothing bad about it at all but it never really impresses. 

Obviously a fascinating piece of historical footage, but the match itself is pretty good as well. While there's no real narrative hook, the mat work is competitive and they gradually ramp things up in the closing stretch. The highlight was Gotch busting out a sweet bridging German suplex to win the first fall.

• 2 months later...

Not bad, but very underwhelming given the participants. I actually watched this both yesterday and today as I was a little shocked at how little I enjoyed it the first time, but it's just not that good. "Never got out of first gear" seems a good phrase to describe it. Matwork seemed kind of basic and somewhat sloppy, like with Inoki missing a headscissors but Gotch selling anyway. Inoki also seems weirdly dry here despite how charismatic he'd become in the coming years. Finish came out of nowhere and was actually a bit of a surprise as I could have sworn Gotch's beautiful German suplex was the finish. To respond to the person who thought that's the finish to the first fall, this was only a 1 fall match and Inoki's foot was on the ropes so it wasn't counted.