Pro Wrestling Only

[1983-08-31-AJPW] Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr vs Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy

cactus

This is Terry's 'retirement' match and this has one of the loudest crowds I have ever heard. You know you have a hot crowd when they are going apeshit for Dory Funk Jr. of all people! The match starts off with Dory being worked over by the heels. They mostly keep him immobilised with an armbar and strikes. Dory gets the crowd pops big whenever he gets in a lucky jab. Terry was sublime in this, egging his brother on and pacing up and down the apron when he's not tagged in and throwing some great punches and doing a marvellous selljob of his leg when he is the legal man. Everything looks snug and not one move looks phoney. This is yet another hellish brawl that we need more of in today's wrestling. Above all the great strikes and well done tag team wrestling, the emotion is off the charts. The crowd is fully invested into EVERYTHING that is going. This is my pick for best match of the 80's.

★★★★★

After the first Abby-Sheik match in 1977, from what I've seen Dory was always very over with the All Japan crowd and always got a good reaction.

Terry was, of course, a superstar, but Dory was basically as over as anyone. If I had to make an analogy, if Terry was someone like Hulk Hogan in WWF 85, Dory was JYD -- that is, phenomenally over in his own right.

My impression is that this continues to be the case right through about 1987. After that, when Dory starts tagging with Baba and essentially transitions into being an old man wrestler in the early 90s, he doesn't get the same sort of reactions.

I wasn't disputing that he wasn't over - he clearly was. I was pointing to the fact that he's probably one of the dullest wrestlers around. Technically he's good, but he never shows any personality. Would it be far to say that he was over because of his association with Terry? I don't remember Dory getting good reactions when he toured Japan in the late 60s/early 70s.

Some related reading: http://prowrestlingonly.com/index.php?/topic/27872-learning-to-love-dory/

My impression is that he was over as a legendary former NWA champion who had go toe to toe with Inoki and Baba, acquitted himself very well against all comers in the 1975 Champion's Carnival and then cemented that legacy battling the evil Sheik / Abby combo and then the fearsome Brody / Hansen combo. He also won the NWA International title a couple of times, now one part of the triple crown.

So I don't think it was purely because of association with Terry. They respect tradition and hierarchy in Japan, and Dory was always announced last.

• 1 month later...

Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy vs Dory & Terry Funk - AJPW 8/31/83 Terry Funk Retirement Match

Terry Funk kills any chance of running for public office in America by proclaiming that "Japan is Number 1 forever, forever, forever, forever, forever, forever". Guess America is just playing for second place.

The crowd loves the Funks like this has to be one of the most over babyface acts of all time. The dichotomy between the brothers is on display here as Dory gives one of the more uninspired face in peril segments in the way of selling compared to Terry basically giving the performance of a lifetime. In Dory's defense, I loved how much he was struggling to get out every armbar and how much fire he had, but could have used some more selling. Stan Hansen is a Terry Funk seeking missile to start and wants to re-open a cut above his eye. Dory is fucking useless trying to save his brother. Love the chaos in the midst of all the streamers. Terry tags out to big brother and they look to double team Hansen, who is wiser than he looks. Hansen grabs Dory by the arm and bullies him over to his corner. This is one of the best Gordy appearances I have ever seen. He was in lockstep with Hansen in terms of strategy, but presented a more vulnerable side. Dory may have not sold well, but he was firing those forearms off with all he had. Loved the heels always grabbing that arm and pulling him back to their corner to prevent the tag. This crowd is going apeshit for Dory Fucking Funk! Terry starts to get pissed about the constant double teaming and says two can play at that game. I love Dory forearming through a Hansen kick. That's what makes pro wrestling look great. This has been nothing, but balls to the wall action. Hot tag to Terry, who is bleeding, but he does not give a fuck as he FINALLY levels Hansen with a series of punches to a huge pop. Unfortunately Gordy cheapshots him and Terry cant press his advantage. This leads to Hansen kicking Terry's leg really fucking hard like really fucking hard. The leg work that ensues is amazing. The heels are vicious and dicks about it. Gordy was constantly holding Terry from the outside by the foot while Hansen would stomp and drop his weight on the knee. You just felt like poor Terry was helpless against these animals and his face showed all the pain. Gordy even went as far to use the Spinning Toehold against him! Terry blasts him in the head and then headbutt. Hot tag to Junior! Melee ensues leaving Terry and Terry in the ring. Gordy belly flops and Funk sunset flips from the middle rope to win his retirement match! Hansen ever the sore loser attacks Terry's leg and murders a young boy with a lariat before being restrained by a school of young boys.

I have always loved this match and again it was a total energetic tour de force. The heels dominate the match and beat the shit out of the Funks, but the Funks are not going down without a fight. I wish Terry got the win over Stan, but Hansen was staying not Terry. At least Terry finally got to knock him off his feet. Still it is a great feel-good moment and balls to the wall action. One of the best tag team matches ever! *****

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

An all-time memorable performance from the “retiring” Terry Funk, with a molten hot Japanese crowd firmly behind him and his brother. The teams start brawling before the young boys can even clear the ring of streamers and there’s a great lariat tease from Hansen with Terry hanging onto the ropes like a squirrel or something. Dory goes a good job playing the FIP early on, trying in vain to punch his way to freedom only to get beaten down by Hansen and Gordy. Quick tags in and out as they wear down the elder Funk brother and at one point, Terry chooses to attack Gordy in the ring, costing him the opportunity to tag in. But when Terry’s in there, that's when the magic happens, with his drunken staggering about and shuffling jabs. Hansen chomps down on his forehead, busting him open, and then he starts destroying Terry’s knee with assistance from Gordy. Terry’s despondent selling is incredible, whether it’s hopping around on one leg, jabbing at Gordy or grabbing Gordy’s hair to avoid the spinning toehold, crawling away toward his corner. Loved the finish, with Terry trying to stand up to get away from Gordy’s top rope splash, managing to just barely roll out of the way before connecting with the sunset flip from the top for the victory. Post-match, a pissed off Hansen continues attacking Terry and lariating young boys before they’re able to finally subdue him.

• 3 weeks later...

I had never seen this famous match, and thought it was great. Terrys performance is out-of-this-world great, his selling of the leg has to be one of the all time great sell jobs. I loved the frenetic pace and how there was no quarter given by either team. Of course, the post match with Hamsen wreaking havoc and the famous forever promo puts this over the top as oneof the best all round presentations of the 80s

• GSR changed the title to [1983-08-31-AJPW] Terry Funk & Dory Funk Jr vs Stan Hansen & Terry Gordy
  • 10 months later...

Tremendous match. Seen the promo a bunch of times but never the match but thank god I did. Amazing. One of the best retirement matches of all time, even if it didn't last. Violent brawl early one, a great FIP section with Dory being ganged up on by Hansen and Gordy. Great performance by Terry on the apron and when he comes in. HOT crowd. Excellent match. ****1/2