Pro Wrestling Only

Where the Big Boys Play #80 - Clash of the Champions 20

http://placetobenation.com/where-the-big-boys-play-80-clash-of-the-champions-20/

artworks-000148652069-9o3rst-t500x500.jp

Chad and Parv review the Clash of the Champions TBS 20th Anniversary Special from September 1992.

[01:36] Wrestling Observer roundup: wild rumours, Ron Simmons wins the world title, Meltzer goes to Japan, and the 1992 readers send in their top moments, matches and workers in TBS history.

[48:44] Review of Clash of the Champions 20: let's play spot the WCW executives, TBS memories packages, Brian Pillman's heel turn, the mysterious return of Butch Reed, and the laser eyes of Sting and Jake Roberts.

[2:05:05] End of Show Awards

Chad,

Fair enough that the Sting-Vader title switches during the March '93 tour didn't resonate with you. I can tell you, however, that LittleBadMick was thrilled to make his way to the big city (Belfast) on the 16th and watch Sting defend the title against Orndorff. Vader demolished Hayes too.

For the record, the switches were to Sting in London (11th, I think) and back to Vader on St Paddy's Day in Dublin.

It isnt about Hogan necessarily defending the title but more that it is brought up from time to time that Hogan was "gone" from the show a lot to film Attack of Devils Island and whatever. In watching the footage, even on the weeks when he wasn't at the arena, you would get footage of Hogan on set most weeks to remind people who the main big bad was. This was mainly an argument I got into with a lot of PTB contingent when we were hashing out the Real World Champion winner for 1997.

I remeber this being first show I ever taped as it was the first day of school, and my parents wanted me in bed early. Does the network cut out the girl singing the National Anthem with Johnny B Badd? I always found it weird that they brought out Steamboat and Austin and then had her come out to sing.

I may have missed hearing you guys discuss it, but Jimmy Garvin I think had his contract bought out over the summer, which is why Hayes is now a manager/part time wrestler. Except for a one off appearance at Superbrawl 1994, I think Garvin is gone permanently.

FYI you forgot to put the ad break in

I think you must have been a super-early downloader Timothy! There's probably no intro or outro music either cos I uploaded the raws by mistake and then re-upped it.

Hold onto that limited-edition version of WTBBP #80, could be a collector's item one day! ;)

Makes sense my podcatcher auto downloads as soon as it goes up on the feed I'll treasure it forever

Chad,

Fair enough that the Sting-Vader title switches during the March '93 tour didn't resonate with you. I can tell you, however, that LittleBadMick was thrilled to make his way to the big city (Belfast) on the 16th and watch Sting defend the title against Orndorff. Vader demolished Hayes too.

For the record, the switches were to Sting in London (11th, I think) and back to Vader on St Paddy's Day in Dublin.

Absolutely. I was at the show in Aberdeen Scotland on the 14th and was really excited to hear of Sting's big win a few days before. It was awesome to see Sting's successful defence live too. I went back to school the next day and told my friends about it and was very gutted weeks later when I found out Sting hadn't held it beyond the end of the week!