Pro Wrestling Only

Ivan Putski

Grimmas

For those that have talked seriously about being "anti-workrate" and think about things like late-Andre as being an all-time great wrestler because he know what to do with limited tools, Ivan Putski presents an interesting test case.

Some things to consider:

- Putski was arguably more over than any current member of the WWE roster despite having virtually no detectable "tools" at his disposal, atheltic or technical.

- He was the number #2 babyface in the largest and most financially successful US territtory in the 1970s, in an era when wrestling was doing very well around the country.

- People talk about being able to generate maximum crowd response from minimal input.

I am not even being facecious when I say this, but consider the levels of psychology and crowd control in this arm-wrestling match with Jesse Ventura:

An anti-workrate classic?

- Despite all of the above, Putski did have some good matches to his name. The one with the Funks that cropped up on NWA classics was perfectly fine, but his real standout came against Larry Zbyszko in 1980 at the Spectrum, a match that totally took us by surprise on Titans and is genuinely about ****

He also has a decent match or two against Ken Patera out there.

For those people who really believe that pro wrestling isn't about how many suplexes you can throw and who say psychology is ALL, Putski is a guy at least to consider. Say what you will about him, he "got it", and if you consider crowd response vs. actual input into a match, I'm not sure if there is a guy in history who has a more efficient ratio.

• 7 years later...

Watching 70s & early 80s WWF, Putski has become a real guilty pleasure. Super charisma, throws an insane haymaker and a sweet bearhug. There's not much to him, but he's authentic & that crowd buys him & with a good heel he could have an entertaining match. Good stuff with Superstar Graham in 77, teaming with Backlund vs the Valiants, and with Patera. I like him more than quite a few people nominated. 

The Zbyszko match from Philly (8/23/80) is another one for those considering Putski. He just wallops Zbyszko all over the place and people are going nuts. To be honest it's more of a Zbyszko case-builder because he's amazing in it getting his clock cleaned and selling and punching Putski in the nuts, but Putski's there and he does his thing and his charisma and overness are certainly factors in the match working so well. 

Their earlier Spectrum match (7/26/80) showed that the August match wasn't just a one off. It's not as good as the August match, but it's still a solid 3*+ match in my book, with a lot of the same stuff that made the latter one so good. And I wouldn't say it's all Larry either. Those matches wouldn't have been what they were without the kinetic energy that Putski brought on offense or how much the crowd bought into and got behind him.

Putski has always been one of those "Oh, I thought this guy was supposed to suck" wrestlers that I've enjoyed every time I've watched him. Just a fun ball of charisma and power. Didn't realise he was nominated for GWE, might see if I can make a case for him at #99, given that Iron Mike Sharpe is my working #100

17 hours ago, SAMS said:

how much the crowd bought into and got behind him.

I watched the Philly match and that was 98% crowd, 2% punch kick choke nutshots. I've seen good/great matches in front of dead crowds, but if you took away the audience this match wouldn't be one of them.

The steroid world owes a lot to guinea pigs trailblazers like Putski, for certain.

Putski matches may be 98% crowd as you've said, but those reactions happen 100% of the time. He managed to get a raucous crowd reaction on a shitty All Star Wrestling taping. I think there's something to be said for that. At worst he's at least making his matches a fun watch even if they aren't necessarily good, and that's more than a lot of guys can say.

Ultimately, I don't see Putski sniffing a top 100 list, but watching a bunch of Putski matches in the process isn't wasted effort.

If you're judging matches & wrestlers by counting up moves, Putski isn't someone you're going to appreciate. Of course nobody ever pimped a Putski match or him as a wrestler in that way. The crowd connection & (as @SAMSsaid) the kinetic energy he brings are what stands out. 

I think he's a good comparative tool because although he's limited, he's extremely over, knows his limitations & has some consistent positives a good heel should be able to do something with. So it's fun to see how Larry or Slaughter or Patera or Superstar Graham approach a match with him. He went from someone I dreaded to a real "Oh hey, this guy is pretty fun!"
He won't be on my top 100 Greatest WRestler Ever, but a top 100 "I Thought This Guy Was Supposed to Suck But Doesn't" is a good place for him. If someone wanted to vote for him, I'd support them in that battle. :D