Pro Wrestling Only

Doug Somers

Grimmas

Essentially nominated on the strength of the tagteam with Rose and feud with The Rockers.

What confuses me most about Somers is that that run appears to be such a COMPLETE anomoly in his career. I mean what else did he do? What other footage do we have?

Without that run, his career would look more like Dennis Stamp's -- random runs in smaller places. And we don't have a huge amount of Stamp of tape to my knowledge.

Just a weird guy in the overall scheme of things. You look at him and think "journeyman", but where did he actually work and what did he actually do?

I absolutely love his run teaming with Buddy, which also includes some really fun trios, a good Doug v. Shawn Michaels match, and an inexplicably great Somers v. Mike Rotundo match which is the best Rotundo match ever and a match where Somers seemingly shit his pants. He is excellent in his role as the fugly, would be stud, who rakes, and punches and cheats non-stop while sauntering around like he's not a disastrously sleazy looking motherfucker. Somers as the Pretty Boy inspiring a late era Montreal rip off in Chuck Simms is one of my absolute favorite things in wrestling ever, and he might have the best standard back body drop bump of all time. The Rockers series is an all time great tag feud, and in at least two of their matches Somers is the best guy in the match (including one that very few people have seen).

I honestly have zero doubts that Somers is one of the best 100 wrestlers I've ever seen judging by peak alone, and I also have zero doubts that if he was given chances he would easily make my list. The problem is he really didn't get them. He did some jobs for WCW and WWF. During the fanless era of the AWA he had at least one or two fun t.v. matches, but Doug not being able to antagonize a crowd takes a lot of the act. He was actually a staple of the Georgia/Bama indie scene for a while a few years back, and had a few matches and performances I absolutely loved including this one

and this one where he takes a lunatic bump off the top of a cage if memory serves

He's a guy I'd love to include, but I just don't think there is enough.