Pro Wrestling Only

Jerry Saggs

Grimmas

Totally disagree with that. Greatly prefer Saggs, in part because his wild unprofessionalism actually enhanced his matches. Would actually have loved to see him work Necro Butcher, Super Dragon, Nick Gage, and some of the other crazier indie brawlers of the last fifteen years.

I like The Nasty Boys more than most, but neither one of them is a serious contender for a singles GWE project.

What separates Saggs from Knobbs for me is that Saggs was totally unafraid to bust out some weirdly advanced bomb move that you wouldn't expect, like a pumphandle slam. He wasn't always Mr. Smooth when it comes to execution, obviously, but you sometimes had to admire his effort. I too agree that the Nasties have quite a few hidden good performances outside of their famous brawls, but that neither guy is a serious top-100 contender and I really don't see a top-25 tag case, either.

• 7 years later...

Saggs is legit in consideration for my #100 spot both as a personal pick but also as someone I think is deserving. If I could vote for the Nasty Boys as a unit I would feel better about it but since Saggs is the more well rounded on the team he would get my vote. 

I think there's a broad case that can be made - Saggs was the best worker on one of the best tag teams of the 90s. I think the Nasty's are probably a top 5 male tag team of the 90s. (We're doing Greatest Tag Team Ever in 2024 so I'll figure it out before then) 

I think there's an output case that can be made - Saggs is in some of the very best tag matches of the decade vs Cactus & Partner, vs Steiner Brothers, War Games 94. He's part of a consistent tag team that has good/quality matches with a variety of different opponents of varying skill. They do extremely well in a Random Match Theory experiment as they know how to work with anyone. 

There's an input case that can be made - Saggs was the bomb thrower of the team. He'd throw out the pump handle slam or gut wrench powerbomb or flying elbow. Was a crazy bumper. Great puncher. 

There's a character work/knowing his role case - Saggs was a very specific wrestler & he wrestled to the character. He worked like a Nasty Boy should work but could work traditional southern style tags  as well as crazy brawls & was able to do it as a babyface and a heel. 

Jerry Saggs is better than Mick Foley for most of the 1990s.