Pro Wrestling Only

Neville/PAC

Grimmas

For what it's worth, he's survived on the main roster for longer than I thought he would. There still seems to be at least a small portion of the audience that cares about him and besides Owens, Cena and Cesaro, he's been my favorite main roster worker over the past year. He also benefits from having a 2011 that was out of this world. Ricochet would not be what he is today without working PAC in 2011. There's a huge difference between December 2010 Ricochet and December 2011 Ricochet.

I love Neville and I think he's really good in a variety of settings, but he's someone who I can't justify in my Top 100. 105-110, I could buy an argument. He just doesn't click with me enough to call him one of the 100 best workers ever.

• 5 years later...

I’m a little surprised PAC isn’t getting more discussion here, since he’s killing it in AEW right now, but I think he’s worthy of consideration. Nearly every time I watch a PAC match I find something enjoyable about it, and whenever I’m getting burned out researching a particular style for this project, I take a break and watch a few PAC matches and am always glad I did.

Whether it was as a fresh-faced, up-and-coming high-flyer in PWG in '07 or the arrogant, bullying Bastard in RevPro in ‘19, he always brings something interesting to the table. The fact that he can play both characters and tell good stories as he’s evolved as a worker is a big point in his favor in my book. As he’s bulked up, he’s added more power moves to his arsenal, but maintained his athleticism and can still break out his aerial moves. Check out the match against Michael Oku below for a good example.

I haven’t even mentioned his NXT stint, which included a classic against Sami Zayn, again telling a great in-ring story to go along with the athleticism. And he’s still going strong as his AEW work, particularly the match against Andrade, shows. I think he deserves consideration now, but the Bastard could add significantly to his case before 2026.

I’ve included a few match suggestions that I find interesting and enjoyable. I’ve got more research to do, so this isn’t a complete list or anything. I notably didn’t include or mention his work in DragonGate since I’m not familiar with it (but will do what I can to change that before ballots are due) and I know there are many on here that are well-versed in DragonGate, so I’d welcome any other match recommendations.

• Vs. Kevin Steen- PWG Holy Diver Down- 2/24/07

• w/Roderick Strong vs. Briscoe Brothers- PWG DDT4- 5/20/07 (I think this is a tremendous, fast-paced tag match)

• w/Roderick Strong vs. Kevin Steen & El Generico- PWG Giant Sized Annual #4- 7/29/07

• Vs. Sami Zayn vs. Tyler Breeze vs. Tyson Kidd- NXT Takeover Fatal Four-Way-9/11/14

• Vs. Sami Zayn- NXT- R-Evolution- 12/11/14

• PAC vs. Pentagon Jr. - TNT Extreme Wrestling - 4/18/19

• PAC vs. Michael Oku- RevPro Live at the Cockpit 42- 6/2/19 (I love the story they tell here and PAC really helps get the crowd behind Oku)

• PAC vs. Kenny Omega- AEW All Out 2019- 8/31/19

• PAC vs. Amazing Red- RevPro British J Cup 2019- 11/24/19

• Andrade El Idolo vs. PAC- AEW Rampage-10/22/21

• PAC & Penta El Zero Miedo vs. FTR-  AEW Dynamite 12/3/21

He's criminaly underrated, in a sense that most people will agree is great when asked about him, but nobody will bring his name to the conversation in the first place, when he's such an obvious pick for one of the greatest wrestlers of today. I need to dive deep in his first indie run, but his work as Neville at peak NXT is fucking amazing and his title run specially felt huge. His main roster run was a hit or miss when it came to booking, but he strongly delivered any time. He was a random midcarder by mid-2015, yet he managed to make everybody believe he could won the WWE Title against Seth Rollins in an open challenge (that match is soooo good, underrated gem). His Cena US Title match is one of my favourites of that reign (and god knows that title reign has aged poorly as hell). Fuck, his King of the Cruiserweights stuff was great, carrying an almost dead division (his matches against Gallagher and Aries are the highlights here, but he worked great with everyone on that roster and even carried Enzo to his best matches).

Then he left WWE and had anither fucking crazy awesome title run, but this time not as a top babyface like in NXT, but as THE BASTARD gaijin of Dragon Gate. He also has the only Cara Noir match I really like. His AEW run is been limited by him being British in the pandemic era, and to me is a real shame he isn't one of the main heels of the company because he's a full package and is way better than anybody in The Elite has been. Help build Hangman as a top guy with a pretty cool series of matches early on the company's history, gave Omega great matches where he hadn't anything scheduled between the Moxley feud and the tag titles run, the Andrade matches are a DELIGHT even with shitty overbooking... Man, he's been consistently great throughout so much time right now, at many different points in his career and against a cool variety of opponents, a lot of them not even close to his level.

One of the all time great bumpers, crazy mix of athleticism and ruthless agression, he can be a great underdog, dominant babyface top guy, dominant top heel, he can be a dirty scumbag or the biggest underdog in the world for one night, super unappreciated at elevating others, has the longevity... Maybe he doesn't have as much all time elite level matches as so many other contenders (right now I would only rank his match with Sami in a top 100 for GME), but he's the king of the very good to great matches and one of the strongest workers in any company and/or division he's been.

• 1 month later...

I was watching PAC this week on Dynamite and it struck me that he's been one of their best workers since the start of the promotion, and that's saying something considering Omega (GOAT contender) and the Young Bucks (GOAT tag team contenders) are right there. I haven't seen much of him elsewhere (seen some NXT stuff, which was already great), but from this sample of the last three years alone, I can't think why he's not making it. Let's be real, transpose him in WCW in the mid to late 90's, and he's talked about to this day as the very elite of the company along with Eddie, Rey and you-know-who. Considering he's not done at all and he had quite a few years of being just as great before, yeah, PAC probably ends up on the list when all is said and done.

I have noticed in AEW how he does stuff faster and more crisp than anyone that I've seen. Like, half the time I expect this dude to collide against his opponent and get fucked up because he was doing too much, too fast but he manages to execute perfectly, not hurt anyone and make shit look legit. I don't think he was this good in DG or WWE, am I being victim of recency bias or nah?

• 1 month later...