Pro Wrestling Only

Gorgeous George

Dylan Waco

I watched three Gorgeous George matches today. I plan on watching a lot more. If I see another 5-6 matches where he impresses me at that level, he's guaranteed a spot somewhere on my list. He really does come across as the guy who invented modern heeling. He also has a nice combination of schtick and grit -- kind of a proto Adrian Street in that regard. For whatever reason, when people reflect on the greats of that era, he often gets forgotten. There's still way more footage to peruse than what I've seen so far, but what I have seen just looks brilliant. Flair, Hogan, Savage, Lawler, Goldust, Jimmy Garvin, Michael Hayes, Shawn Michaels -- any heel with larger than life charisma owes at least some of their act to this guy, whether they know it or not. We are blessed to have plenty of his matches on tape too. Search YouTube and you'll find tons of stuff. I've always thought it odd that such a famous wrestler has largely gone so undiscovered by fans like us.

What do you mean by a lot ?

I watch all of his taped matches (10) from youtube.

His personal performance was great in all of his matches. Old William Regal has similiar facial expressions and he borrows the robes from him.

His only stinker was the match against Woddy Strode : a good athlete but a very green wrestler.

His only stinker was the match against Woddy Strode : a good athlete but a very green wrestler.

I don't remember anyone named Woddy from back then.

Wait a minute...

(google google google)

...WOODY FUCKING STRODE WRESTLED?!

This guy? (Pictured moments before putting a bullet in Charles Bronson at the beginning of Sergio Leone's finest spaghetti-Western masterpiece, Once Upon a Time in the West.)

How the HELL have I never heard this before?

Glancing at the match now, I'm surprised to see that it's 1.an interracial match, 2.probably in the early 50s, and the black guy 3.is the babyface and 4.goes over clean, while 5.the presumably mostly-white audience rabidly cheers him the whole time. Yeah, this was in Los Angeles so it's not like this was in Alabama, but still it's not something I'd expect to see from that time.

• 6 years later...

I don’t get it. I like his whole prematch routine but I don’t really like the actual work. He comes across as a much less enjoyable version of Buddy Rogers to me, less fun to watch be all stoogy and cowardly and also not as good being vicious/aggressive. His weird combination of headlock takeovers he uses as a finish is kinda cool, I guess. Also conker in the thread didn’t like the Woody Strode match but I thought it was the best one I watched (despite the commentator presenting it as 3 separate one fall matches for some reason)

What I watched for this and my match ratings
Gorgeous George vs Frankie Talaber (14/4/50) **
Gorgeous George vs Cyclone Anaya (23/5/50) **¼
Gorgeous George vs Hans Schnabel (3/11/50) **¾
Gorgeous George vs Woody Strode (unknown date) ***

Gorgeous George vs Jesse James (4/9/51) **