Pro Wrestling Only

Donald Trump: The Art of the Draw

tim

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-republican-debate-fox-news-20160304-story.html

FOX News drew 16.9 million viewers for the last debate to see the follow up to the slow-burn Trump vs. Megyn Kelly angle from last August. This was their second highest viewed broadcast ever -- second only to that August debate which drew 24 million viewers.

Conclusive proof that the key to a boom is finding one megastar and building around him. It helps that he is in a particularly hot angle that has involved the whole promotion.

The cross-promotional Trump vs. Hillary Clinton angle planned for this Fall is sure to draw huge ratings.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...

Watching the RNC...not because I'm a fan, but because it's in my city (Cleveland). A few thoughts so far...

I liked Scott Baio in his Chachi and Charles gimmicks, loved Bob Loblaw run, but this aging Hollywood Republican schtick is not nearly as interesting as it could be. Maybe a diva on his arm would've helped?

The Lone Survivor got huge pops. Makes me wonder how long it is before one of the GOP bookers thinks about giving him his own push in a small local territory to see if he could ever be a national star...based on the current nominee, a lack of political experience does not seem to be an issue.

Like most RAWs, I feel myself getting bored and turning this off before the main event.

I think most pro wrestling thing about this season is how Bernie Sanders and Daniel Bryan are so similar. Bernie isn't quite the draw of his establishment counterparts, but is hugely over with live crowds and has threatened the top of the card even though he was never the establishment pick. He has gotten the ball rolling toward a different version of Democratic politics just like Daniel Bryan got the ball rolling toward a different version of WWE. There is still some resistance in both cases, but in both cases, we know where it's ultimately going. And Debbie Wasserman Schultz has turned out to be an even better heel authority figure than Stephanie McMahon, actually getting some measure of comeuppance.

I think most pro wrestling thing about this season is how Bernie Sanders and Daniel Bryan are so similar. Bernie isn't quite the draw of his establishment counterparts, but is hugely over with live crowds and has threatened the top of the card even though he was never the establishment pick. He has gotten the ball rolling toward a different version of Democratic politics just like Daniel Bryan got the ball rolling toward a different version of WWE. There is still some resistance in both cases, but in both cases, we know where it's ultimately going. And Debbie Wasserman Schultz has turned out to be an even better heel authority figure than Stephanie McMahon, actually getting some measure of comeuppance.

Bernie has been more like CM Punk in that he's attracted THOSE PEOPLE as fans that annoyingly hijack other perfectly good segments and they think they are "helping".

Incredible that Biden wasn't even the best promo last night. My one concern about them passing the torch to Hillary and... that other guy, whoever he is, is that neither of them is really an all time great on the stick the way Biden and Obama are. Both incredibly strong public speakers that know how to control an audience.

Also the ex-CIA man last night was great. He looks like this nice little old man with glasses. Then he starts to talk and he's FIRED UP about the Russians and by the time he's done you're ready to do what must be done to prevent Red Dawn.

Bernie Sanders is the Zack Ryder of presidential politics. He got himself over by appealing to the smarks, but he doesn't have the goods to be a main event player.

Also, how long will it be before Trump starts getting X-Pac heat from the voting public? Cutting a heel promo on a Gold Star Mother has to be the last straw, right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to come up with a good match comparison for what we're going to see tonight.

I thought about Foley vs HHH from the Rumble with HHHillary looking like a best in the world candidate simply by existing near someone jumping face first into tacks for our sick pleasure. But I don't like the idea of comparing Foley to Trump and comparing HHH to Hillary kinda freaks me out because there's some similarities.

I also considered Shane vs Taker for the same reasons and because the debate has the potential (certainty) to be laugh out loud hysterical. Foley vs HHH wasn't funny. But maybe that's just me hoping the debate has the comedy of Taker/Shane and not the brutality of Foley/HHH.

WWE should really just show the debate.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...