Photo

Where the Big Boys Play #81 - Top 100 Greatest Wrestlers Ever Special, Part 1: 100-41

WTBBP GWE

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 01:40 AM

This show was a blast and got me through 2 hours of mould scrubbing, so kudos for that.

One thing I feel I should say is that you mentioned not knowing how younger people are on Tully since he hasn't been talked about much, but I am pretty high on Tully and he'll do well on my list. Higher than yours, in fact. So there's one.

My other main takeaway is from early on in the show when Parv asked "Do you love everyone on your list Chad?" And it became clear as it went on and certain people were discussed that the answer was no, particularly for Parv given the nature of his system. I kept thinking about that every time a name would come up that Parv would just sigh at, and it made me realise that for me personally, when it comes down to it, I DO want to love everyone on my list. Wrestling is a labour of love for me, and the most fun I've had during this project has been talking about guys I truly love like Cena, Rey, Sheamus, even Kofi Kingston, or in discovering new people I can get excited about, like Akira Hokuto or Mark Rocco. I don't want to put anyone on my list where if I was doing a podcast, I'd sigh when their name came up. That really wouldn't be true to who I am as a wrestling fan.

#22 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 04:48 AM

Thanks for listening Jimmy!

I guess the question is: do I want to be true to myself or true to the nature of a GWE list? If I'm true to myself, honestly, no one who wrestled after about 1997 would rank, period. My list would be pretty narrow and 100% in line with the 7-virtues list I wrote up. Although I will admit that when I listened back to this, the contrast between the guys I love and the guys I don't is pretty obvious. It is more energising to talk about stuff you love. But this list isn't about getting me energised or self-gratification or anything like that, it's about trying to establish who the GWE is, regardless of my personal tastes. For me the core of the project was about trying to see past personal biases and seeing what the kernel of each case was. In some areas (see lucha), I failed dismally, in others I made more headway.

#23 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 05:16 AM

Sure.

Like, I'm not going to entirely love everyone on my list because I'm still going to rank a guy like Hunter, whom I hate a lot of the time. BUT the key for me is that there are times when I absolutely love him as well. When I look back at things like the Taker matches and read what I said about them at the time, I remember the feeling and remember all of the things that someone like Hunter is capable of when he's good. So I'm just choosing to focus on that and ignore how much he shits me when he's not doing good work. I'm kind of like you in that my "system" doesn't factor in negatives. I'm focusing on the positives when I rank people.

In practical terms I think it just means that as I finish the end of my ballot, I'm going to end up going for guys that I really, truly care about. I think I'd regret ranking a guy who I see as like a good worker but have no strong feelings about (or that I dislike) above someone whom I can really get excited about their case.

The difference between Ted DiBiase and Kofi Kingston, basically.

#24 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:10 AM

giphy.gif

#25 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:16 AM

Thought you'd like that one.

#26 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 06:18 AM

Great, you've turned Parv into Johnny.

#27 Cross Face Chicken Wing

Cross Face Chicken Wing
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:25 AM

I thought I'd be the only one w/ Rick Steiner on my list, but turns out Parv's BIGLAV system agrees that Rick Steiner is definitely one of the 100 greatest wrestlers of all time. That's another cool part of this project: Two people who probably compiled their top 100 in completely different ways can still reach a similar conclusion on someone like Rick Steiner.

#28 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7890 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:40 AM

This show convinced me to rank some guys that I was throwing out, because they were still good today. Guys like Hero, Low Ki, Cersaro, Sami Zayn all now have a shot at my list. Thanks Parv and Chad, you just made this harder.

#29 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:42 PM

As much fun as we had picking and poking at BIGLAV, I do think it was good for the overall process, not just for Parv.

I think it was good for the overall process because it got Parv back into participating in it and possibly provided a framework for others to use.

To me it runs completely counter to how I think about wrestling and my base instincts as a humanities person.  I honestly tried to keep it at a distance because I didn't want to be critical of something that had brought a friend back into the project.  That said it seems as if others at least enjoyed the discussion about the particulars of it which is good. 

#30 ohtani's jacket

ohtani's jacket
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 5724 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 04:09 PM

I finished listening to this yesterday. Enjoyed both lists. Chad's list I think is similar to a lot of us who have been around a while and branched out a bit. There was a real Yearbook influence to it, which is a nice little ode to all the work that Loss and GH put into that project. Parv's list was solid. Despite the BIGLAV system being in place (which I've been pronouncing incorrectly in my head all this time), it seemed to reflect where he's at with his viewing. Looking forward to part two.  

#31 TheU_2001

TheU_2001
  • Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 03:28 PM

I finished this episode of the show and am halfway through the second half as of now. This show has been great. I do disagree with where some of the guys are ranked, like Hogan for instance, but to each his own I suppose.

Overall this was a great episode of the show and part 2 has been as well. It's just phenomenal work, on a project that you can tell, Chad and Parv put a lot of effort and thought into. I can't wait to, finish part 2 and also see where everyone ranks at the end of the project. Keep up the great work Chad and Parv.

#32 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11324 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 07:14 AM

Looking back on this, after PWSS, Chad and I blasted through 100 to 41 in two hours! The sprint workers of the PWO podcast scene!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users