Pro Wrestling Only

Room 101 - Wrestlers and Personalities

JaymeFuture

So, for this week's podcast, we're doing a show based off the old Room 101 television show, where we're looking for you to submit one nomination for a wrestler or wrestling personality from any point in history that has annoyed you so much, you wish to banish them to oblivion for good, the figurative "Room 101", and more importantly, why.

You can be as flexible as you like with your pick - it can be a certain period of a wrestler's career (American Bad Ass Undertaker, for example), or if you really dislike someone's body of work you can just toss their entire career in there. You can be obscure as you like in who you choose, it really just comes down to the person (wrestler or personality) that grinds your gears the most, and your explanation will be key in whether or not the panel agrees on the show to banish your suggestion to Room 101.

As always, the best nominations will be read and you'll be credited accordingly. So who has always annoyed you personally enough to go into Room 101, and why?

EDIT - Our Room 101 (Wrestlers and Personalities) show, featuring many of your contributions is now online and available to listen to at the following link: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/mgz6ui/SCG_Radio_76_-_Room_101_Wrestlers_and_Personalities.mp3

Oh good I can say HHH before everyone else. It's worth sacrificing his good run in 2000-2001 to not have to go through everything since then.

Honorary mention to "Mr. Electricity" Steve Regal who is just the most boring do nothing wrestler ever. But he's easily avoidable and had no real lasting impact on wrestling except to disappoint people looking for the good Steve Regal on youtube and finding him instead.

NASH.

Do I really even need to list why? I can't think of a single other person who ever took so much from the business but gave so little in return. Aside from being a horrible wrestler (and he was quite godawful), most bad workers can't also claim "and then my ridiculously awful booking managed to permanently sabotage a major national promotion to the extent that it never turned a profit again".

Jimmy Valiant.

I just really don't like Jimmy Valiant. He is the only wrestler in my current 1986 project that genuinely irritates me when he comes out, and is around for long enough to be a factor on my enjoyment of a show. He is too focal a point of the feuds during that era to be avoided, and nothing he does entertains me.

That's J E Double F J A Double R E Double T.....

Never found his work interesting, always found his mic work lacking, and he introduced the word slapnuts to the pro wrestling lexicon for starters. The only thing I ever liked about his WWE run was him briefly getting Robert Fuller on my television. Then we get to WCW where he is inexplicably pushed way above his station, and becomes a multiple time World Champion while doing absolutely nothing of note other than contributing to the downfall of the company. Then he and his Daddy start the Jeff Jarrett vanity company, where he pushes himself on top for years and kills any shot of WWE having competition, and then he sells the coat hanger abortion of a company to a fucking idiot who has no business being in the wrestling business who keeps the thing on life support years and years after it should have died. No to mention that he's the guy who has pretty much kept Vince Russo in the business (another fine candidate for this thread)

Rob Black. There is at least a positive outcome to the majority of those listed here, as Nash jumping to WCW with Hall gave wrestling a needed boost and we can at least say HHH spearheading NXT is an overall positive (even Jeff Jarrett has some good to his existence since TNA gave us exposure to a few of the bigger names in the past decade), but I cannot think of a lasting positive to come out of XPW and Extreme Associates in general.

BJ Whitmer. Fuck him and fuck his lank greasy ponytail. Don't think I've ever watched anyone with less charisma. Awful in the ring, no idea how to structure a match. Had the occasionally passable garbage match usually involving his immensely punchable face torn open by barbed wire, but other than that you could see him blatantly trying to have these workrate classics as the crowd and viewers gave zero fucks, because he never gave anyone a single reason to care about him.

Couldn't cut a promo to save his life, or have a decent match that didn't involve a ton of props and someone a million times more talented at the other side of the ring. That Jimmy Jacobs feud was wasted on him.

Absolutely Dolph Ziggler. He's just terrible. Horrific overbumping that takes all the attention away from the guy giving the move, offence that either looks weak as shit or is a superkick, the dirt worst smarmy unlikable promo in the entire WWE...everything about him makes me want to cheer his opponent to beat his stupid faux-hair metal, Pot Noodle haired face in. Watching him in the Rusev feud was absolutely unbearable, the guy had no concept on how to come across as a likable human being. All this AND his Twitter handle is @heelziggler, which just makes him look like a tit

Honky Tonk Man. Now, don't me wrong, I like me some Blonde Bombers in Memphis and however dogshit much of his work was as the delusional sub-Elvis, there are a few genuinely memorable and satisfying instances of him getting his comeuppance which still resonate.

But he has since managed to stand out even amongst the incredibly crowded environment of bigmouths for hire that clog up the oversaturated shoot interview market. While he's far from the only wrestler of his generation who makes me feel genuinely skin-crawly, and he's probably only as prominent in my mind because he's carved himself out a niche and if it wasn't him it would be someone else, the way in which he goes about expressing himself in those shoots just seems so incredibly aggressive, snide, mean spirited and bullying. He comes across as the kind of bloke who gets off on twisting the knife and revels in his own proclivity to shock and offend and these days I find that both boring as fuck and supremely pathetic. You can argue he's working us all and playing a part, sure, but I'm genuinely unconvinced a lot of that generation know where their characters end and their real selves begin any more as the Hogan/Gawker trial has only made more clear.

Also, his HAIR freaks me out. I can't comprehend a quiff/mutton chops/shoulder length ponytail combination and I'm a man that likes to adequately comprehend a persons haircut because I'm riddled with anxiety and these things are important.

hqdefault.jpg

VINCE RUSSO

Where do you even begin? David Arquette as the WCW Champion. Vince Russo as the WCW Champion. The Voodoo Kin Mafia. Team Pacman. Beaver Cleavage, GTV. Terri Runnels miscarriage. Judy Bagwell on a forklift.

He tries to take credit for everything that was good, including just recently claiming the Montreal screwjob was his idea! And when something didn't work or get over, then it was somebody else's idea or fault. Hell, try to read his blogs, and you'll see that he doesn't even know English. He says shit like Kevin Dunn is always at Vince McMahon's "BECKON CALL" or talks about the great "SEDIMENTS" he has from remembering the glory days of the attitude era.

I'll nominate Brother Love. I have no opinion about Bruce Prichard himself, but that character is just the absolute worst. I get what it's supposed to parody, but goddamn that voice and makeup is just makes my skin crawl. Why they felt the need to give him so much TV time in the late 80s-early 90s I have no idea.

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/mgz6ui/SCG_Radio_76_-_Room_101_Wrestlers_and_Personalities.mp3

Join us for the first Wrestling Room 101! Taking your suggestions, we discuss a litany of wrestlers and personalities and debate whether they need to be banished to oblivion. We discuss the likes of Jim Duggan, Dino Bravo, Dolph Ziggler, Kurt Angle's TNA run, Mick Foley Post-2004, DX 2006, Bob Holly, Ed Leslie, Chief Jay Strongbow, The Honky Tonk Man, The Nasty Boys, Kevin Nash, Brother Love, Triple H, Vince, Stephanie McMahon and countless others, and debate if should be inducted into the vault never to be seen again. A really fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think~!

Listening to this now. Obviously leaving Ziggler out is a mistake on par with Decca not signing the Beatles, but I'm enjoying this a load. The end result for Kevin Nash made me laugh loud enough to startle my girlfriend's lazy dog.

Thank you very much, glad you like it! It really was the only appropriate outcome.

did the Harris brothers get a mention? because christ those two soaked up way too much camera

Sadly not, which makes me weep. Rick Steiner in 1999/2000 and Harris Boys I was dying to get a vote.