Pro Wrestling Only

Best Wrestlers Who Didn't Get Nominated

Dylan Waco

I flirted with the idea of nominating Primo Colon, but in the end decided against it when I realised he realistically wouldn't make my list. There's an alternate reality where he's considered a lock for something like this though.

I feel like he might actually be the most underutilized guy on the WWE roster. So underutilized that no one even seems to realize how good he is to complain that they should be doing more with him. During the time I was watching Superstars to see Chris Masters matches he was the only other guy I would make sure not to skip over if he also had a match on the show.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've no idea how Los Matadores didn't get more over. Really fun gimmick, especially with El Torito running awesome midget-bull highspot interference, easy crowd interaction with the Ole chant, and two really fun workers as the main team. It's kinda goofy, but I thought it was going to get over bigtime. Now, Primo and Epico aren't even making the C-shows. No idea what's happened to them

Sara Del Rey would have made my list if I'd realised she was missing. Her monster heel run on the Indies murdering dollies and getting good stuff out of green future (nxt) stars was too fun to overlook.

That's a good one. I was also kinda surprised when putting my final list together to discover that Awesome Kong was somehow never nominated. There's a lot of pretty damn good female workers in the American Joshi revolution of the past dozen years, between the SHIMMER mainstays and the best Knockouts from that division's golden days and so forth & so on, but pretty much none of them ever got mentioned.

Yoshiko Tamura considering she had that match Loss rated at *****

Which match?

The Bloody - Not enough quality work to justify a top 100 spot, but if people are seriously putting Trish Stratus on their list she at least deserved a nomination.

Ryuji Yamakawa - When I got back into wrestling and saw Honma's name, I immediately thought of Yamakawa. Again, not a massive amount of good matches, but if you're a deathmatch fan he was one of the better workers.

I think if it had been a Top 150, I would have nominated more women. I am all about the US girls but couldn't really justify anyone beyond Trish with only 100 spots, and I don't have much knowledge of the indy-only girls.

Never thought to ask but you rate Trish over Molly?

Hang on, Strike Force weren't nominated? I've got both Tito and Martel in my provisional list but I've not made a tag list simply because of time and other commitments... hugely surprised no one nominated Strike Force though, especially given I became a fan based almost entirely on people pimping them here.

I think if it had been a Top 150, I would have nominated more women. I am all about the US girls but couldn't really justify anyone beyond Trish with only 100 spots, and I don't have much knowledge of the indy-only girls.

Never thought to ask but you rate Trish over Molly?

Yeah definitely.

Molly I like, don't get me wrong, it says more about how much I like Trish than that I don't like Molly. Molly was good. But I think Trish was much, much better at being a heel, better at being a face, better at projecting character and story in her matches, and had better matches. I think the only thing Molly really has over Trish is mechanics.

As an almost aside, I think she gets a bit of a pass with people because she's not a model and is from that early 00s period and thus the instinct is to think she's better than any good looking blonde sheilas who followed, but if I did a deep dive on them I'm not sure that I'd take her body of work over, say, Melina's or Mickie's or even Michelle McCool's. Tiffany and Kelly have higher highs. But on the surface that kind of talk sounds ridiculous, because Tiffany was hired out of a catalogue and Kelly can't run the ropes and what not.

Anyway I don't mean to diss Molly because I like her a lot.

Sometimes I feel like watching every Divas match ever and Ranking the Female Workers like OJ has with Europe.

Great idea for a thread :-) ... I made a prelim list of probably 150 for the singles and about 35 for the teams. All of them were nominated already when I checked, so personally I didn't miss anyone. But I'm sure someone will eventually name someone I would have considered or maybe even forgot. So far none of the suggestions here would rank for me, though I really haven't seen enough women's wrestling from anywhere. At some point I'll have the time to dive more into that. But for now, not so much.

I think Miz is another guy who I'd class in the "if it was Top 150 I'd have nominated him" pile. Guys like that include Swagger, Drew Mac, MVP, Shelton Benjamin.

Shelton actually is someone I seriously considered nominating and now regret not doing so. Not that I really would have voted for him I don't think, but just to have the thread and make a case for him. He's in like at least four of my absolute favourite matches of all time, Top 100 stuff, and he also had a really good TV run on Smackdown in 2008 when nobody was looking. I'd put him in a Top 150 for sure for those highs.

I'd have also considered girls like Awesome Kong, Victoria, Mickie James, Ayako Hamada, Gail Kim, Melina, Beth Phoenix. Fuck it even Michelle and Layla.

Jesus, I'm now getting more excited about my hypothetical 101-150 than I am about finishing my ballot.