Best Wrestlers Who Didn't Get Nominated

• Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#41 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 06:24 PM

I think if it had been a Top 150, I would have nominated more women. I am all about the US girls but couldn't really justify anyone beyond Trish with only 100 spots, and I don't have much knowledge of the indy-only girls.

#42 Jimmy James

Jimmy James
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 08:57 PM

The Usos have a solid-enough resume in the current tag scene that I'm surprised nobody gave them a nod.

#43 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:00 PM

I think if it had been a Top 150, I would have nominated more women. I am all about the US girls but couldn't really justify anyone beyond Trish with only 100 spots, and I don't have much knowledge of the indy-only girls.

Never thought to ask but you rate Trish over Molly?

#44 Ship Canal

Ship Canal
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:34 PM

Hang on, Strike Force weren't nominated? I've got both Tito and Martel in my provisional list but I've not made a tag list simply because of time and other commitments... hugely surprised no one nominated Strike Force though, especially given I became a fan based almost entirely on people pimping them here.

#45 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 09:56 PM

Never thought to ask but you rate Trish over Molly?

Yeah definitely.

Molly I like, don't get me wrong, it says more about how much I like Trish than that I don't like Molly. Molly was good. But I think Trish was much, much better at being a heel, better at being a face, better at projecting character and story in her matches, and had better matches. I think the only thing Molly really has over Trish is mechanics.

As an almost aside, I think she gets a bit of a pass with people because she's not a model and is from that early 00s period and thus the instinct is to think she's better than any good looking blonde sheilas who followed, but if I did a deep dive on them I'm not sure that I'd take her body of work over, say, Melina's or Mickie's or even Michelle McCool's. Tiffany and Kelly have higher highs. But on the surface that kind of talk sounds ridiculous, because Tiffany was hired out of a catalogue and Kelly can't run the ropes and what not.

Anyway I don't mean to diss Molly because I like her a lot.

Sometimes I feel like watching every Divas match ever and Ranking the Female Workers like OJ has with Europe.

#46 Ship Canal

Ship Canal
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 10:25 PM

Sometimes I feel like watching every Divas match ever and Ranking the Female Workers like OJ has with Europe.

I for one would read the shit out of that

#47 andrew79

andrew79
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 11:30 PM

Jungle Jack are a surprising omission.

#48 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:16 PM

Great idea for a thread :-) ... I made a prelim list of probably 150 for the singles and about 35 for the teams. All of them were nominated already when I checked, so personally I didn't miss anyone. But I'm sure someone will eventually name someone I would have considered or maybe even forgot. So far none of the suggestions here would rank for me, though I really haven't seen enough women's wrestling from anywhere. At some point I'll have the time to dive more into that. But for now, not so much.

#49 DMJ

DMJ
  • Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:55 PM

The Miz

#50 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:16 PM

I think Miz is another guy who I'd class in the "if it was Top 150 I'd have nominated him" pile. Guys like that include Swagger, Drew Mac, MVP, Shelton Benjamin.

Shelton actually is someone I seriously considered nominating and now regret not doing so. Not that I really would have voted for him I don't think, but just to have the thread and make a case for him. He's in like at least four of my absolute favourite matches of all time, Top 100 stuff, and he also had a really good TV run on Smackdown in 2008 when nobody was looking. I'd put him in a Top 150 for sure for those highs.

I'd have also considered girls like Awesome Kong, Victoria, Mickie James, Ayako Hamada, Gail Kim, Melina, Beth Phoenix. Fuck it even Michelle and Layla.

Jesus, I'm now getting more excited about my hypothetical 101-150 than I am about finishing my ballot.

#51 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:20 PM

Dark Angel is probably better than any the other women mentioned in this thread, but I didn't nominate her because I never dug deep into her work in Mexico. During her run in Shimmer she was clearly the best worker there at that time.

#52 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:22 PM

Dark Angel is Sarah Stock is Sarita right?

I enjoyed her in TNA from memory, don't think I've seen anything else of hers.

#53 Jingus

Jingus
  • Members
  • 2583 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 08:32 PM

Dark Angel is Sarah Stock is Sarita right?

Yep. I called one or two matches with her, way back in the day (including laying English-language commentary over the Mexican house show fancam where Dark Angel was apparently unmasked for the first time, oddly enough, and I have no idea how the copyright situation on that footage worked) and I have vague but generally positive memories of her being pretty good.

I'm surprised Miz wasn't on the list; he's had his fun stooging heel tag teams and the Lawler feud and other stuff that people here liked. Is he the only Wrestlemania main eventer (barring celebrities) who didn't make the cut?

EDIT: nope, checking the list, I see at least a couple other main-Mania omissions: King Kong Bundy and SID~! and I'm honestly rather surprised that nobody even ironically nominated Sid.

#54 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

La Sombra is someone who I think was really quite good by 2010 or so and also had a good last couple of years, in two wildly different roles. If he thrives in NXT, he's someone that I could see having a case even in just a few years. That's a big if though.

#55 Rah

Rah
  • Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:23 PM

La Sombra is someone who I think was really quite good by 2010 or so and also had a good last couple of years, in two wildly different roles. If he thrives in NXT, he's someone that I could see having a case even in just a few years. That's a big if though.

If you're one for evaluating on a completist basis, there's still eight years before 2010 where Sombra isn't at that level to be voted for. I do agree that he would be on track for strong(er) consideration if he stuck in CMLL - as, like you say, WWE is a big if for him. Out of interest, did Hechicero rank for you?

#56 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 01:44 PM

Hechicero has performances I love. Hechicero has performances I don't like. I much prefer him as a rudo. A lot of the pre-CMLL indy matches we have of him are as a local hero tecnico. That's just an awkward fit for me.

#57 Scarlet-Left

Scarlet-Left
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

Harry Smith, Sara Del Ray, Shelton Benjamin and Madusa Micelli. They were all people I just assumed would be nominated. That's a bummer but I've only got myself to blame.

#58 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 11:40 AM

TJP is now jumping off the page to me. I really should've revisited his early PWG work and his NJPW run. He'd be a 90-100 guy, but I hate the idea of him not being nominated because he's been so great in a number of different companies. Super glad he's tearing it up with Gabe right now. 

#59 Scarlet-Left

Scarlet-Left
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:53 PM

Lance Storm.

Oh my god, I hate myself. I'm submitting my ballot and I've only just realised. That's number seventeen gone, and Billy Robinson makes his way onto my ballot, at the coveted number one hundred spot.

#60 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:57 PM

You had Lance Storm at 17 and Billy
Robinson at 101?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users