Pro Wrestling Only

Outrageous real-life heeling it up

Made this thread in honour of Ian McShane's recent antics spoiling Game of Thrones willy nilly. I haven't read the spoiler, but I loved the heel promo he cut on internet nerds:

You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape. I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a fucking life. Its only tits and dragons.

Tremendous heeling.

spencer_murphy_1-large_trans++Rii_NIEKBS

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TURBONERD POST WARNING

king of kong is kinda BS, actually, aside from the general notion that twin galaxies was and is all kinds of sketchy. i know a fair number of people from that community who won't try to defend TG, but have met billy mitchell IRL and will vouch for him. definitely some fake drama in that film...

also, neither of the main characters are even in the top 10 donkey kong scores anymore so maybe that has something to do with it. hard to get mad over anything that happened there when the scene has moved so far beyond it

TURBONERD POST WARNING

king of kong is kinda BS, actually, aside from the general notion that twin galaxies was and is all kinds of sketchy. i know a fair number of people from that community who won't try to defend TG, but have met billy mitchell IRL and will vouch for him. definitely some fake drama in that film...

also, neither of the main characters are even in the top 10 donkey kong scores anymore so maybe that has something to do with it. hard to get mad over anything that happened there when the scene has moved so far beyond it

The funny thing about that movie is that it is very clear that the Twin Galaxies people love Billy and don't realize that he is a giant tool. There is some sort of crazy hero worship thing going on with him, that just feels creepy from the outside looking in.

TURBONERD POST WARNING

The funny thing about that movie is that it is very clear that the Twin Galaxies people love Billy and don't realize that he is a giant tool. There is some sort of crazy hero worship thing going on with him, that just feels creepy from the outside looking in.

No doubt its outdated and infused with as much fiction as fact... many documentaries are after all. But that shouldn't take away from the HoF level heeling that goes on therein. If memory serves doesn't he engage in some absolutely stellar shithousery straight out of the most nefarious of playbooks when he actually goes to the trouble of doctoring a video of himself beating Steve Wiebe's most recent score which he sends in via post just to make the whole thing even more preposterously moustache twirling? Its absolutely next level stuff.

And the bit where he just turns up with his valet on his arm and saunters through the players in a transparent attempt to put Wiebe off as he closes in on his record too.

Print the legend etc...

If this is edging into the territory that PWO was set up to avoid then by all means let me know and I'll delete it if its going to cause too much aggro in terms of politics, but Martin Shkreli is surely the worlds number one outrageous real life heelster right now...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5UVVS5eh4Y

One of my favorite wrestling promos from a non-wrestling personality of all time goes to Little Richard and his 1980 something induction of Otis Redding into the R&R HOF. I believe its from the same ceremony that FlyOnTheWall posted. Its worth checking out. What makes it a heel promo is the fact that Little Richard is shamelessly self-promoting himself like there is no tomorrow, singing his own songs, calling people out for not laughing at his jokes, and getting annoyed with the audience at times all while trying to INDUCT SOMEONE ELSE INTO THE HALL OF FAME. Its fucking classic.

The McShane quote is hilarious. I wouldn't even really call what he revealed to be a complete spoiler. As a mark for A Song of Ice & Fire and Game of Thrones I've spent hours on Westeros.org reading theories & such. I mean what he says is a spoiler but it's not really a surprise if it's what people think he's talking about.

TURBONERD POST WARNING

No doubt its outdated and infused with as much fiction as fact... many documentaries are after all. But that shouldn't take away from the HoF level heeling that goes on therein. If memory serves doesn't he engage in some absolutely stellar shithousery straight out of the most nefarious of playbooks when he actually goes to the trouble of doctoring a video of himself beating Steve Wiebe's most recent score which he sends in via post just to make the whole thing even more preposterously moustache twirling? Its absolutely next level stuff.

And the bit where he just turns up with his valet on his arm and saunters through the players in a transparent attempt to put Wiebe off as he closes in on his record too.

Print the legend etc...

What I love about that whole deal so much is that he has a stooge heel stable behind him too. Minions who do his bidding. Sycophants and snitches and spies. All-time movie villain.

What really makes it for me is the pathetically small scale of it all.

Vaguely current! In the ESPN oral history Those Guys Have All The Fun, Michelle Beadle addresses the Erin Andrews privacy invasion and says something like "It was a nightmare scenario. Obviously she looked great, but it was so frightening for all of us." I was pretty amazed by that.

Made this thread in honour of Ian McShane's recent antics spoiling Game of Thrones willy nilly. I haven't read the spoiler, but I loved the heel promo he cut on internet nerds:

You say the slightest thing and the internet goes ape. I was accused of giving the plot away, but I just think get a fucking life. Its only tits and dragons.

Tremendous heeling.

spencer_murphy_1-large_trans++Rii_NIEKBS

How is he being a heel? He's right. 😆

Half right. Game of Thrones does indeed come equipped with endless mountains of tits, so much gratuitous female nudity that it made the South Park episodes' weird obsession with the comparatively rare male nudity on the show to be outright homophobia. But it feels like the entire series has maybe thirty seconds' worth of dragons. We spend more time watching Dany worrying about the plight of her offscreen dragons than we ever do actually watching footage of the wyrms themselves.

As for King of Kong: it's a fantastically-made movie, but I have read several articles which listed a number of various real-life facts that the filmmakers fudged or manipulated in order to make the story more compelling. Billy Mitchell was less of a heartless dick in real life than he's portrayed in the movie's cherry-picked version of his life, while the movie apparently went out of its way to gloss over the fact that Steve Wiebe was kind of an obsessive antisocial loner. In the end; hey, there's a reason why I tend to read books rather than watching documentaries when it comes to consuming nonfiction, because it tends to be easier to distort the truth with video than with print.

And I feel kinda weird about including Martin Shkreli in with these other harmless examples. Everyone else listed here is just being mischievous about stuff which doesn't really matter. THAT piece of shit is committing massive financial fraud and denying lifesaving drugs to sick people and doing it all with pride. If he was suddenly killed tomorrow in a tragic piano-fell-off-a-roof-and-squashed-him-flat accident, I would legitimately celebrate his demise. Fuck that guy and everything he stands for.

And I feel kinda weird about including Martin Shkreli in with these other harmless examples. Everyone else listed here is just being mischievous about stuff which doesn't really matter. THAT piece of shit is committing massive financial fraud and denying lifesaving drugs to sick people and doing it all with pride. If he was suddenly killed tomorrow in a tragic piano-fell-off-a-roof-and-squashed-him-flat accident, I would legitimately celebrate his demise. Fuck that guy and everything he stands for.

OK then, didn't realize the criteria was that specific.

I mentioned him because the specific act of smirking his way through that hearing strikes me as just about the most obvious example of needlessly outrageous heeling I could think of off the top of my head. It was in no way meant to belittle the complete shithousery of his actions. If we are only supposed to be including more inoffensive and inane stuff, stuff that is suffused with an astounding lack of self consciousness that is cringesome but not necessarily morally repugnant then my mistake. But I figured a couple of relevant contemporary examples of more genuinely awful stuff to sit alongside less heinous examples might make sense. Real life heeling is a spectrum, after all. So long as the whole thread doesn't just become people tossing out stuff as extreme as Shkreli I figured we'd be fine. I reckon we all have the ability to keep a lid on that but apologies anyway.

And for the record I feel exactly the same way as you do about Shkreli, so no disagreements there.

Anyway, as you were...

Oh yeah, in terms of him being such a morally bankrupt human being who revels so gleefully in the misery of human suffering and treats all the very worst aspects of capitalistic selfishness to be sacred virtues, he's certainly effective as a "heel". Especially since you know he's the kind of chickenshit who would be left laying in a pool of his own blood, if some heroic babyface could manage to lock him in a steel cage away from all the cronies and toadies who protect him from the righteous wrath of society's justice. For the record, nobody laid down any official criteria for what counts and what doesn't.

It's just that at a certain level of real-world damage caused by someone, I think that could disqualify them from being a love-to-hate-them villain. Like, we'd probably all agree that Bin Ladin wouldn't be seriously namedropped as "he was a great monster heel who really knew how to work the marks in his particular territory, and even though he only knew how to do one particular highspot he definitely knew when and where to do it so that it really counted". Even though all that is technically accurate, it not only trivializes the pain and havoc that person caused, it also kinda trivializes wrestling terminology and comparisons, making them look awfully trite and pointless in the face of real-world evil. And obviously Shkreli is hardly even a carrion worm on Osama's decomposing ass when it comes to being a truly despicable argument for legalizing ninety-seventh-trimester abortions, but I think the conversation just probably stays more fun if we try to keep it on lighter subjects like Donkey Kong.

Re-watched King of Kong for the first time in years earlier on because of this thread.

Billy Mitchell really does tick off every aspect of being a great heel in that film.

- Delusional levels of arrogance

- Harrassment and bullying

- Aiming for complete humiliation of his opponent

- Dirty tactics

- Insane hypocrisy

- Outright cheating

- Blatant cowardice

- Scheming

- Supported by corrupt authority figures

- Sore loser but made sure he got his heat back just through general douchery

The two most outrageously heel moves that stood out to me were

1. When he saunters past Wiebe who says "Hey Billy" even in the middle of going for the world record and then Mitchell says to his wife something like "There are certain people I don't want to spend too much time around".

2. Right near the end when his mate is bigging up Wiebe, and then they turned to a seething Mitchell and he just says "I'm not familiar enough with the situation". LOL

All-time great heel.

The actual Martin Shkreli isn't fun, in the sense that he's just that terrible of a person. The celebrity-obsessed living caricature, though? That's a fantastic heel gimmick.

All of this King of Kong talk forces me to bring up Troy Duffy as a phenomenal heel protagonist in a documentary (Overnight).

Political figures are too easy and also un-PWO generally, but Robert Moses was simply on another level. His true greatest crime isn't running the Brooklyn Dodgers out of town, it's creating a cottage industry of endless nostalgia and whining (whining tinged by classism and racism at that) over the Dodgers having been run out of town for 60 years now!