• DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:08 AM

#42 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:02 AM

For F1, Michael Schumacher was readily compared to Darth Vader.

NASCAR is full of heels. One of its biggest problems is that there are too many heels and not really any strong babyfaces, (Dale Jr. just doesn't win enough.) 

#43 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:16 AM

I personally always loved Schumi, but yeah, from 1994-2006 he was definitely top heel. Especially his actions at Adelaide in 1994.

#44 NotJayTabb

NotJayTabb
  • Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 10:30 AM

In football, Neil Warnock has always struck me as a great heel manager, but the kind you love to hate like a Heenan's character. His comments when asked if he'd manage Sheffield Wednesday, rivals of his beloved Sheffield United, were absolute gold:

"As long as the whole of my salary was paid within 28 days, I would buy so many tosspots - although, come to think of it, their current squad would do - and fuck 'em up so badly. Then I'd retire to Cornwall and spend the rest of my life laughing my fucking head off."

#45 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:59 PM

Prost was the heel vs Senna I'd say. The cold calculating man against the passionate and emotional risktaker

Prost was a more universal driver and I think that he and Senna were more yin/yang than face/heel. I mean, one of the biggest criticisms of Prost's was that he didn't like racing in the rain, which is like disliking someone for not wanting to work violent gimmick matches  Mansell & Piquet were obvious heels, though. Mansell was a Shawn Michaels-level overseller.

I don't buy there being a heel in Pironi-Villeneuve, either, because Gilles had too much conviction to be the heel and no way that it's actually Didier, who would have been an icon amongst icons for the tifosi had he not gotten hurt.

Hamilton's a heel, but he's wonderful. Vettel's a heel, and a horsefaced little shit. Kubica is the babyface that the F1 grid has needed.

#46 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:13 PM

If you lived over here in the UK you'd probably be of the narrative that Mansell was a lionhearted superface. That's always how he was pushed over here. I was more of a Martin Brundle/Johnny Herbert/Derek Warwick kinda guy though.

#47 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:48 AM

I like those three a lot more myself. Herbert's first win for Benetton & his win for Stewart are two of the best moments of the decade.

#48 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:43 PM

I always say Earl Strickland is the best sports heel, but no-one seems to know who he is.

I cannot stand him. I watch the Mosconi Cup every year on TV and he's such an absolute prick.

#49 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 12:47 PM

Speaking of Formula-1, I have legit refused to follow it for years due to a Ferrari team heeling incident years ago. F-1 fans will remember it because it was notorious.

It was the Austrian Grand Prix where their second choice driver won the poll, led the entire race wire to wire, was about to secure his first career win, and was ordered on the last lap by team management to pull over so his teammate in the first choice car could pass him and win to help lock up a championship that was already locked up. Crowd fucking hated it, booed through the whole post-match ceremony, it was some disgusting Million Dollar Corporation stuff.

I haven't followed F-1 seriously since and I never will again so long as Ferrari field a team. Watched maybe 3 complete races in the many years since that occurred. Ferrari is literal racing cancer.

#50 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

When Rubinho let Schumi through? To be honest, I thought that was absolutely fucking hilarious. It wasn't going to be Barrichello's first career win though. His first victory was at Hockenheim in 2000. The A-1 Ring incident happened 2 years later. The title wasn't locked up that season yet either as it was only a few races into the 16 race season. Team orders are team orders, and Schumi's the number one driver. I've no issue with team orders in F1.

I fucking love Schumi. He's a badass.

#51 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 05:28 PM

You are a bad person and you should feel bad.

#52 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:03 PM

The orchestration of it was what was the real shitshow, though. And it led to the US GP that year having Schumacher reverse the favor for Rubens. The Young Bucks couldn't even pull a move that business-exposing.

Bernie Ecclestone is a heel amongst heels, of course. I'm not going to pretend that I know what Max Mosley's deal really is, he's a tragic figure of upper-class twittery, but Ecclestone, man. I can't think of too many ethnic Jews who've found a way to compliment Adolf Hitler & Saddam Hussein in one interview.

Tangential and then tangentially tangential: Real Life Heel Avery Brundage bringing up the Rhodesia ban from the '72 Olympics in his eulogy to the victims of the Black September massacare. He has all kinds of fascist garbage to use, but it doesn't get much tougher to stomach than that.

Which brings us to the great One Day in September and the truly obscene Ulrich Wegener just yucking it up during his interview segments about the failure of the final rescue attempt at the air base. No self-awareness at all.

#53 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 07:22 PM

Mosley's father was Britain's most notable ever fascist Oswald Mosley, Max was always going to end up being a bit "odd" - odd being a bit of an understatement there. But yeah, Ecclestone's a pocket sized mega bastard.

#54 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 01:44 AM

How about Kanye West for this?

#55 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:02 AM

Kanye's stone cold Steve Austin. Dude's hilarious.

#56 PhilTLL

PhilTLL
  • Members
  • 573 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:07 AM

Speaking of baseball, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose and Roger Clemens have to rank up there.

Barry Bonds chose to cheat repeatedly and abundantly because he resented players who he felt were less talented getting greater recognition than him. It doesn't get much more heelish than that.

#57 supremebve

supremebve
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 08:20 AM

Speaking of baseball, Reggie Jackson, Pete Rose and Roger Clemens have to rank up there.

Barry Bonds chose to cheat repeatedly and abundantly because he resented players who he felt were less talented getting greater recognition than him. It doesn't get much more heelish than that.

Barry Bonds is not a heel because he took steroids.  He is a heel, because he was 100% aware that he was the best baseball player on the planet, and treated everyone around him like they were lesser.  Imagine Ric Flair, who didn't sell for anyone.  He just beat their ass and strutted around as they laid on the ground beaten and bloodied.  Mark McGuire did steroids and no one hates him, they just don't like the fact that he did steroids.  People hated Bonds before the steroids, during the steroids, and after the steroids.  We just like to use steroids as the reason to keep him out of the hall of fame, when he's the single best baseball player any of us have ever seen.  (don't tell anybody, Bonds and A-Rod are the two best baseball player of the last 50 years.)

#58 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:39 AM

Did you see his instructions to the fashion models?

cK3fndp.jpg

One of the things that is funny about Kanye is that he doesn't seem to have a single person around him to say "Hey, y'know that's a terrible idea", "Isn't that a bit weird?"; so he's like a living embodiment of someone who can just implement any idea he wants no matter how mental.

I think that total lack of self-awareness or perspective would make him a wonderful wrestling character, whether babyface or heel.

#59 supremebve

supremebve
  • Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Did you see his instructions to the fashion models?

cK3fndp.jpg

One of the things that is funny about Kanye is that he doesn't seem to have a single person around him to say "Hey, y'know that's a terrible idea", "Isn't that a bit weird?"; so he's like a living embodiment of someone who can just implement any idea he wants no matter how mental.

I think that total lack of self-awareness or perspective would make him a wonderful wrestling character, whether babyface or heel.

Kanye's biggest strength as an artist is his self awareness.  Kanye's biggest weakness as a person is his total lack of self awareness.  I don't understand it, but he's seemingly two different people based whether or not he's near a microphone.

#60 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:19 AM

Yeah now you mention it, you are right.

I've never been able to square the producer / rapper we hear on record to the IRL persona.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users