• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

CHILEAN GOALKEEPER BLADES DURING WORLD CUP QUALIFIER
Rojas admitted that he'd had a razor stashed in his glove throughout the game

The story: in 1989, with Chile needing to beat Brazil, in Chile, to qualify for the World Cup, and with Brazil leading 1-0 with 20 minutes to play, a female Brazilian fan threw a flare which exploded near Chilean goalkeeper Roberto Rojas. Rojas went down, clutching his head, and came up bleeding. The Chilean team stormed off and expected the game/score to be nullified.

But then people looked at photos of the incident, and noticed the firework blast didn't hit Rojas, landing a few feet behind him. "Under questioning, Rojas admitted that he'd had a razor stashed in his glove throughout the game. When the chance presented itself, he fell to the ground, used the razor to cut his own head, and pretended the flare was to blame. 

It was a conspiracy between Rojas and the team doctor, Daniel Rodriguez, to nullify the match if things went poorly for the team. As far as we can tell, the fan who threw the flare (who went on to grace the cover of Playboy) wasn't in on it at all. Even without any flare showing up, Rojas would have feigned a fall and sliced himself open. The surprise flare just happened to offer a perfect opportunity. 

So, FIFA kicked Chile out of the 1990 World Cup after all, and then banned then from the 1994 World Cup as well for good measure. As for Rojas, they banned him from the sport for life. Or at least until 2001, when he asked to come back as a trainer and they said yes, because hey, it had been 12 years."

Flair only got a fine for blading at WrestleMania 8....

• 4 months later...

The “Say it ain’t so Joe?” incident following the Black Sox scandal seems like it should count somehow. I’ve been watching the Ken Burns doc and realizing how much childhood innocence was trampled by capitalism, but enough of the spirit remains that when you see someone good on the other side of the screen that’s now the same age you are and has experienced life in a similar way then our fathers, then something else enters that on occasion does rejoice in synchronicity with what remains. 

My brother is a life-long Cubs fan as well as a wrestling fan. 30 years ago amidst the steroid scandals even kids like us who watched as much CNN as our patience would allow, knew what was going on but at that basic time it doesn’t really taint the reputation but makes them seem more oddly human. My brother is also a dye to the wool capitalist, and the year he and I played little league is right around the time of the strike and when our father left us. I actually remember watching very little wrestling until I heard that WCW had a show on Monday nights.

• 4 months later...