Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlers Doing Nerd Stuff

funkdoc

so this weekend we have one of the biggest tournaments for fighting games (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, that kind of thing), Final Round in Atlanta. IIRC both Xavier Woods and Kenny Omega are there to compete in Street Fighter 5, and both have made public appearances in the past for that scene as well. The main live stream for the tournament is at http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky, in case anyone was curious.

so hey, let's have a thread to bring up other random stuff along these lines! i think i've posted about Samoa Joe's personal Twitch stream here in the past, though that went on hiatus once he went to NXT obv. Cody Rhodes's Zelda fandom, CM Punk & the Green Ranger having beef at a Comic-Con, anything like that is fair game here. have fun~

Its not nerdy but I enjoy Austin's podcast for his discussion of craft beers and, on a recent episode, the Netflix show Making A Murderer.

Like, as the "Bionic Redneck," you'd expect him to spend the opening of his podcast talking about football or NASCAR or hot chicks or something, but instead, he's more likely to share his thoughts on what IPA he's drinking and why Leonardi Dicaprio is a "bad ass" actor. Austin's awesomeness seemingly has no bounds - he really seems like a guy who you could bring to a big family wedding and, even if he wasn't a world famous personality, he would still be the guy everyone talked about like "Oh, did you meet that Steve guy? He was great."

A ton of wrestlers are into the mobile game Clash of Clans as it turns out. There's a private group that most of the wrestlers and their family members use, and apparently Rusev, Cody Rhodes, Goldust, Xavier Woods, Finlay, Cesaro (who apparently is known to group text everyone GameFAQs-length strategy guides on the game) are all big-time players in the group.

Sasha Banks is super into anime and a huge fan of Sailor Moon. AJ Lee, Bayley, and Xavier Woods are pretty into anime as well. Xavier Woods is a pretty notorious nerdy professional wrestler, he even co-runs that YouTube gaming channel that features a bunch of wrestlers with him.

I remember way back Dolph Ziggler used to talk a lot about being a huge fan of that 60s/70s sketch series Laugh-In. Rob Van Dam is super into comics and has a pretty decent-sized collection of valuable stuff, I remember him saying he was super into Ghost Rider especially.

Raven wrote an issue of the Spider-Man spinoff comic "Tangled Web" (the story in question was the story of Crusher Hogan BEFORE he faced off against Peter Parker).

I read that, and it was awesome. The story had Hogan as a washed-up old hasbeen who sat around the gym all day, bragging to the young boys about how he trained Spider-man and designed his web-shooters and basically gave him the entire gimmick.

Rey Mysterio made a special point to dress up as a different superhero or scifi character every year at Wrestlemania, so it's safe to assume he's pretty geeky.

AJ Lee-Punk has an extra layer of official nerdiness which is hard to beat: she attended NYU's film school.

Although, it's tough to beat the King in this category. Others may have their Youtube channels and whatnot, but Jerry Lawler actually booked a drunken Adam West to play Batman in a comedy sketch on live Memphis wrestling television:

How can we forget Kofi Kingston's comic book inspired tights (pre-new day). Not sure if it's exactly "nerdy" but Chris Jericho is obviously a huge metal fan, and not just of the mainstream stuff too (he took the name "jericho" from the Helloween album Walls of Jericho). And related to that, Mick Foley's huge fandom of alt-country.