Pro Wrestling Only

Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker Lawsuit

goodhelmet

I think the "they had it coming anyway" is a dangerous attitude when it comes to the application of law, which can lead to miscarriages of justice taking place. If "stronger regulation on the paparazzi portion of the media" is necessary in the United States then that really needs the law to be changed or a Supreme court ruling that clearly defines the limits of the First Amendment.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The jury just came down with punitive damages for Gawker - $25m, including $10m from Nick Denton personally, and $100k from AJ Daulerio.

I'm certainly no legal expert, but everything I've read seems to indicate that the verdict is questionable at best. Even if it survives on appeal, the judgement will probably be reduced dramatically.

I'm not sure how the award has been structured helps Hogan much at all. Hogan didn't prove any concrete economic injuries. He did suffer emotional distress, but I'm not sure the symptoms he suffered were worth $60 million. Larger punitive damages could certainly have been justified, but as the jury were instructed that they couldn't bankrupt the defendants, they didn't have much wiggle room left to award anything higher.

Gawker just seems nasty and spiteful, and the justice system should do all it can to crack down on this grubby vulturous form of "journalism". It is genuinely toxic and this is in a post-Murdoch scandal environment too.

there's a difference between "nasty and spiteful" and the kind of stuff we associate with the tabloids. it's not the law's place to prevent anyone from digging up 20-year-old dirt on Bill Cosby, as long as there's evidence for it.

Gawker just seems nasty and spiteful, and the justice system should do all it can to crack down on this grubby vulturous form of "journalism". It is genuinely toxic and this is in a post-Murdoch scandal environment too.

there's a difference between "nasty and spiteful" and the kind of stuff we associate with the tabloids. it's not the law's place to prevent anyone from digging up 20-year-old dirt on Bill Cosby, as long as there's evidence for it.

The case is about privacy not about finding evidence for criminal activity.

Did Hulk Hogan do anything illegal?

I think the "they had it coming anyway" is a dangerous attitude when it comes to the application of law, which can lead to miscarriages of justice taking place. If "stronger regulation on the paparazzi portion of the media" is necessary in the United States then that really needs the law to be changed or a Supreme court ruling that clearly defines the limits of the First Amendment.

Again, it's debatable if this is covered by the first amendment since you're talking about a site distributing an unknowingly filmed sex tape without the guy's consent. This isn't just some tabloid digging up celebrity dirt. It's more like that deal when a bunch of celebrities got their iPhones hacked and had nudes distributed online, and even Gawker's own sites were against it. No matter how you look at it, Gawker fucked up by posting clips from the tape.

Again, it's debatable if this is covered by the first amendment since you're talking about a site distributing an unknowingly filmed sex tape without the guy's consent. This isn't just some tabloid digging up celebrity dirt. It's more like that deal when a bunch of celebrities got their iPhones hacked and had nudes distributed online, and even Gawker's own sites were against it. No matter how you look at it, Gawker fucked up by posting clips from the tape.

I agree that it's a grey area, but Judge Pamela Campbell (who is clearly an arch conservative) is the only one who agreed to the injunction to take the video down. Two other Floridian judges ruled it was protected by the First Amendment (including the appeals court). That doesn't bode well for Hogan in the end game. Interpretation of the current law seems to be in Gawker's favour, especially when the appeals court is likely to consider elements of the case that weren't ruled admissible by the jury (that Hogan's emotional distress was over another sex tape having racial slurs on it, all key witnesses either obviously perjuring themselves at some point or being deceptive, at the very least, etc).

I hope that in the bigger picture this means the beginning of the collapse of the tabloid culture that exists now. It probably won't, but seeing every new edition of the National Enquirer basically turning itself into a Trump ad is more and more disgusting to me.

Ah, that's just the people who run the Enquirer appealing to people who actually buy the Enquirer. It;s not as if anyone actually cares about the Enquirer. It's a joke paper to most Americans. It's the Apter mags saying THE FREEBIRDS MUST BE BANNED!" aimed at wrestling fans. Most people read it and laugh and a few dummies believe it.

The case is about privacy not about finding evidence for criminal activity.

Did Hulk Hogan do anything illegal?

No, but he did something that Gawker felt, rightly or wrongly, was of public interest and the problem with a ruling like this (if upheld) is that it can create a "chilling effect" on investigative journalism that would otherwise pursue more, ahem, legitimate items of public interest -- including illegal activities -- without fear of reprisal from the accused.

Bullshit. The issue isn't whether they had the right to report that Hogan had sex with his buddy's wife and said racist things. The problem was that they showed footage of the act on thier website without his permission.

I agree with you that the latter is obviously the primary reason that they brought suit; the concern (as I understand it, anyway) is that, by ruling against Gawker, they provide an opening for interpretations that can target the former.

And I should probably make it clear that I think both Gawker and Hogan are garbage.

Where things get murky is that Hogan's original lawsuit clearly was designed partly to stop Gawker and other publications from reporting on the sex tape that had racial slurs on it, especially airing audio/video of the footage. They didn't just want Gawker's video taken down, but the narrative too (which Gawker resisted and won on appeal). Hogan's lawyers misrepresented their original case to the jury when they stressed that all they always cared about was the video being published. Moreover, the sole juror willing to speak to the media seemed more concerned about Hogan's private conversations being published than the sex itself.

Where things get murky is that Hogan's original lawsuit clearly was designed partly to stop Gawker and other publications from reporting on the sex tape that had racial slurs on it, especially airing audio/video of the footage. They didn't just want Gawker's video taken down, but the narrative too (which Gawker resisted and won on appeal). Hogan's lawyers misrepresented their original case to the jury when they stressed that all they always cared about was the video being published. Moreover, the sole juror willing to speak to the media seemed more concerned about Hogan's private conversations being published than the sex itself.

This isn't murky. It doesn't matter if they wanted the whole thing down or not. It should never have been on the site in the first place. If I am hiring a lawyer, I would want them to fight to take everything down including the narrative also. It would be one thing if Hogan said these things in a public forum like Michael RIchards. He didn't. Would Hogan have sued Gawker if they "reported" he was a racist who slept with Bubba's wife but didn't show the video? Probably not.

I still don't understand how even if Hogan's original claim was to remove the footage was because of the racial slurs and not the sexual acts why that still doesn't justify his claim that Gawker published footage of himself without his consent and was in the wrong by doing so.