Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-03-06-Sendai Girls] Meiko Satomura vs Syuri

donsem43

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N85-typ-rY

This is one of Syuri's last matches as a 'regular', as she's scaling back her wrestling career to focus on MMA. The start is exactly what you would expect from this two, kick exchanges mixed with submission-based matwork. Satomura eventually gets control but Syuri always keeps trying to comeback at her. When Syuri does get back on top, she goes on a great run that leads to some convincing nearfalls. Could have used a bit more variety from Satomura at the finish as she gets a bit too DVD-happy as she's prone to do at times. Other than that, this is a great match. One of the best women's matches so far this year. ****1/4

• 2 months later...

Great match. There are certain things I was willing to accept in the Satomura/Kong match due to their backstory (like the insane bomb throwing) but generally this match is much closer to how I'd like things to be done and I wish it didn't feel as distinctive as it did (and if there are are more matches like this you bet I'm willing to jump on them). A big selling point of how someone should wrestle and act is doing so in their character and like they want to win. Modern puro often ignores the latter part in favour of a bad take on grade school machismo. You don't want wasted movement in your match. Satomura applies the Mutoh Keylock, Shuri counters it into a side mount, Satomura grabs her into a front necklock from the bottom, gets up and slams her. That's a sequence that looks really cool, but more importantly is flows great, and it's the type of thing a lot of people don't even think about. You get one fluid and logical sequence instead of several illogical and disjointed ones. Whether it be on the ground or on their feet they're always trying to counter their opponent's moves and get back into control. Don't sleep on this one. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2016-03-06-Sendai Girls] Meiko Satomura vs Syuri