Pro Wrestling Only

NXT Takeover: Dallas

Ricky Jackson

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Sami Zayn

Watching Zayn’s entrance I couldn’t help but think: what does Scott Hall make of this? Starship Coyote wondering why the fans are now the bookers and whether good looking women still come to wrestling shows, or if it’s just pale Chris Hardwicks skanking their way down to ringside. I haven't always liked either of these guys as much as the Internet does, but this was a great effort from both. Highlight was the slugfest portion, not because it was a million forearms but for the selling and fatigue expressed from both guys. The blood out of Nakamura’s nose was a good touch. Really exciting in the final 2/3s: felt like a true live experience in that you knew who would win, but didn’t know when or how. Nakamura’s kicks alone would make this a great match. My feed was unfortunately pretty bad for the finish, but still awesome stuff and Nakamura was as charismatic as advertised, especially in his exit.

Bayley vs. Asuka [NXT Women’s Title]

They couldn’t follow the prior match, but this was better than the crowd’s reaction to it. Bayley flinching and bracing her arms together while taking Asuka’s kicks was interesting. In some ways this was worked too evenly as telling the story of Bayley taking an early beating and then getting a comeback would have been easier to execute, but I liked that they showed how Bayley’s no longer the underdog. She’s the champ who’s defended it often and has developed her own sort of killer instinct. Loved Bayley’s side suplex as her first badass move of the match. Asuka had an unenviable gig here as the crowd seemed to view her as the heel and weren’t reacting to her big offense the way they had for Nakamura or Zayn. The Holm-Tate tease was smart, but this crowd clearly didn’t buy it all the way.