Photo

Wrestling With The Past: Greatest Wrestler Ever with Charles & Childs!

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18946 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

Don't let them fool you. These guys were fueled by copious amounts of cocaine and meth. 

#42 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:12 AM

I was wondering about Childs having "Mr. Donnie" as his #86

#43 Woof

Woof
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:18 AM

To be fair, Loss' usual vocal delivery is a bit of a methodical drawl, so it's not like we were gonna get a huge slowdown in his pace as the marathon stretched on.

That said, goodhelmet is right, the coke and meth probably helped.

#44 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43377 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 10:27 AM

Ha! 25 years in the South followed by five years in the Northeast and five years in the Midwest where I've tried to sound like the locals as much as I can has produced that strange landing point for my accent.

#45 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4391 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:04 AM

The one moment of despair for me came when our phone connection went dead halfway through me talking about Hashimoto at No. 10. I remember looking at the clock and the early rays of sunlight creeping through my basement windows and thinking "Why have we done this to ourselves?" But then I think we rallied reasonably well for the rest of the top 10.

#46 Woof

Woof
  • Members
  • 418 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 11:29 AM

Ha! 25 years in the South followed by five years in the Northeast and five years in the Midwest where I've tried to sound like the locals as much as I can has produced that strange landing point for my accent.

It's really more your delivery style than any accent. It's very calm and measured. You're sort of the zig to Superstar Sleeze's zag.

#47 Superstar Sleeze

Superstar Sleeze
  • Members
  • 2997 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:16 PM

I have a lot to say about this podcast, which I really enjoyed and I am still going through top twenty. But God, I have had Charles in Charge stuck in my head for three days and people at work hate me now.

#48 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11315 posts

Posted 13 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

I have a lot to say about this podcast, which I really enjoyed and I am still going through top twenty. But God, I have had Charles in Charge stuck in my head for three days and people at work hate me now.

This was a last minute production call, and I still can't figure out if it is for the best cos the other planned theme tune was also pretty cool.

Anyway, I reached the very end, finally, and I guess there was only one real surprise for me and that was the fact that one guy didn't make either of your top tens.

I also think that in terms of the very top of the list, just based on all the shows so far, there feel like 6-7 guys who coalesce around the top 6-7 spots whatever the order. And they are not necessarily the 6-7 guys who have had the most press.

#49 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:38 AM

My main takeaway from Part 1 is that the discussion on Foley was just about my favourite discussion on any one wrestler from any of the podcasts thus far. I thought the points you made about him were really insightful, and have even kind of helped me form my own arguments.

Also thought the same about Jericho, you really touched on some good points, particularly about why he's such a strange and elusive candidate, seemingly coming off as both a good worker and bad worker at the same time.

#50 KB8

KB8
  • Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:34 AM

I actually wanted to touch on that a couple days ago myself, but yeah, the Jericho discussion was really great and probably my favourite bit of part 1 (that WAS still part 1, right)?

Loss: "My #__ was Chris Jericho. Did you vote for him at all?"
Childs: "Nooooo."

#51 BigBadMick

BigBadMick
  • Members
  • 1381 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:43 PM

Just finished up this marathon. Epic.

#52 ...TG

...TG
  • Members
  • 731 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Just an amazing display of stamina from you guys, and a good listen besides. HOWEVER, damn you Loss for getting the Charles In Charge theme song stuck in my head for a week. 

#53 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43377 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 12:31 PM

Thanks to everyone who listened. I think the show of stamina from people who could make it through nine hours of podcasting is pretty impressive on its own.

#54 JAC

JAC
  • Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:43 AM

That took a few days to get through, but I do want to say "thanks" for the great podcast and second the notion that you two never really betrayed your fatigue. You remained not merely coherent but outright eloquent when discussing your rankings. I came feeling energized to seek out some new things I haven't seen before.

But damn you to hell for the Charles in Charge theme. ;)

#55 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:33 AM

Two things that shocked me was Charles omission of Bull Nakano and his relatively high placing of Nakamura. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Nak as I don't remember you discussing him before.

#56 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43377 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

Two things that shocked me was Charles omission of Bull Nakano and his relatively high placing of Nakamura. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on Nak as I don't remember you discussing him before.

I have a lot of regrets about my list, and one of them is not ranking Bull Nakano. I think I still would have had her below Nakamura, though. I think she was a great worker, but even in having not seen as much, I do think Nakamura reached more transcendant heights than Bull really did as a singles champion. Some really great performances from her as WWWA champ from 1990-1992, but no true classic title defenses in my opinion, although a few came close to that level.

Nakamura, other than Virus, is the guy that I ranked the highest having seen the least. I didn't get him at first because I thought his flailing just made him look sloppy. I do get him a lot more now. I loved the Ibushi and Styles match, and thought he hit a stride as a performer there that Bull never quite hit. A small sampling I know, but I felt confident enough to rank him high.

I didn't enjoy the Sakuraba match as much, but I feel like I would if I watched it again now. I think I was expecting a fake shoot, then I saw Nakamura come out with his pomp and circumstance and it distracted me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users