Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List, Part 2

Grimmas

I'm so sad that Mascarita Dorada dropped this far. Although he was 346 in 2006 on 1 ballot from Rob Naylor, so that's improvement.

I guess enough people didn't listen to the Super Show we did on him. I blame myself.

• Replies 932
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so sad that Mascarita Dorada dropped this far. Although he was 346 in 2006 on 1 ballot from Rob Naylor, so that's improvement.

I guess enough people didn't listen to the Super Show we did on him. I blame myself.

He was on my ballot but because I was blown away by how someone got such good matches out of Hornswoggle and worked backwards to see his pre-El Torito work.

He was on my ballot but because I was blown away by how someone got such good matches out of Hornswoggle and worked backwards to see his pre-El Torito work.

That started my love, what cemented him on my list was seeing him in random US indies tearing it up with great matches.

I'm pretty sure I voted for Killer Khan, can't remember. So that's two.

Oh good, I'm not the only one who doesn't remember their ballot.

Guilty. I have no idea how many of mine have popped up. Not many. I am super disappointed in myself for not ranking Kohsaka, though. Huge oversight. I should have had a ton more shootstyle guys.

BillThompson not being the high vote on Thatcher is probably the most shocking thing so far.

Otherwise Sakuraba ranking ahead of Shibata sums up their careers quite nicely.

I actually expected to be the high vote on the Dirty White Boy, but I at least had hoped he would make it onto the list itself.

Still haven't been high vote on anyone yet, but was hoping Mark Briscoe would end up higher on the list. Reckon I should've voted him higher than somewhere in the 90s, then. Also pleased to see of the Mascaritas, Dorada ended up higher. Justifiably so!

Thought I would reply to Jingus before I go:

"Hey, I don't think I know you, but I do know your name: Chris Coey once threatened to have you beat me up. (Which of course says way more about Coey than it does about either of us.) What parts of GA/TN did you work in, and under what name? Just wondering if we ever might've crossed paths."

Ha! I vaguely remember the name Chris Coey from the DVDVR days but it couldn't have been me, unless an effeminate male valet called Fancy Lad was to strike fear in your heart! I wanted to be called The Artful Dodger but NAWA promoter Playboy Phil Hefner wasn't into Dickensian references. I actually showed up to film my friends Stephen Taylor (who worked as Dr. Bighed Hansen) and Stuart Minshew (who worked at Psycho Stu), as I was in film school at the time, but was pretty much thrown into the ring, as I was taller than pretty much every other trainee. I ended up talking for Stu, as I could always run my mouth, for what amounted to a very brief "career" - if you can call it that - of maybe five matches or so. This was all in the Rome, Adairsville, Calhoun, GA area. I remember mostly rolling around in a fairgrounds-type setup that had been appropriated by bluegrass pickers just outside of Rome. A helluva way to put my film degree to use right out of school. Stu found God and quickly disappeared, while Bighed wrestled for probably 5 years (here he is vs bull buchanan -

) before becoming a car salesman. He did pop up in this Patrick Sweany music video about wrasslin I produced last year, though, that I think y'all will love -

He's the guy wrasslin the fellow under the hood, who is just LT Falk working double duty.

Sorry to get off topic. Thanks for indulging my mat memories from 10-15 years ago!

Yours,

JHHBjr

NOT THE BULLET. Deep sigh. I think this may have been my greatest oversight, although I am not sure I could have gotten him very high on my list. My favorite baby face stick worker ever, with his runs in Continental & SMW being two of the best ever. Not the best in the ring, but great for a run-in or an always-hot angle. Damn. I should've ranked him! This list makes you feel allllll the emotions!

Yours,

JHHBjr

I'm mildly surprised Ron Simmons got any votes at all.

Yeah and ended up that high. Seems like an odd choice.

I guess some people really do love APA. Simmons was pretty good in Doom. I dunno. Yeah. Odd choice.

On a top 100 promo guy, Bullet Bob would have got a high spot from me.

I loved, LOVED Gannosuke. Rewatching all of FMW a few years ago, that love just got stronger. #49. Best FMW worker ever. On a larger stage, he would have overshadowed a lot of the main promotion heavys (New Japan, I'm looking at you, then AJ after Misawa & co departed) and would have got a lot bigger body of terrific matches. Still, he was indy sleaze at its most noble. Wonderful pro-wrestler. And he was part of that IWA Bathhouse deathmatch, which is the most absurd and awesome thing ever. Glad he got a super high vote too.

For what it's worth, I'm not sure anyone has ever been as right for a role in wrestling history as SMW Commissioner Bob Armstrong. I marked out so much when he would pull off the clip-on tie when someone wanted to fight. Going to the USWA as a heel with a list of demands was great, great stuff too.

Right now there are about 180 wrestlers listed where I'd gladly sacrifice every single bit of footage they have on tape if it means I could watch more Takeshi Ono matches. By any metric the guy kicks the shit out of anyone else listed. Except maybe Lizmark. Lizmark rules. The challenge I posted in his thread still stands: name a wrestler with a better Top 10 matches.

Average vote of 70 for Rick Steiner is nuts. I mean, placing him at 99 when you really need to fill out your ballot, that's fine, but the time spent on this project could have been used to find better talent.

This is the type of response that I find infuriating. Where's the rule that says there are certain workers everyone should have and if they dont, they are lesser fans or something?

I didn't rank any non NA wrestlers because even though ive seen a fair share of non US work, it still pales to my exposure of guys like Steiner.

And I really dig his style. Hard hitting, throws, clotheslines, all of it. I'd rather watch a Steiner match than almost anything else. So yeah, he's a top 100, for me personally.

Guys need to lighten up and stop bashing other people's likes and dislikes. Get over the fact that some of us are the equivalent of "Shawshank Redemption" or "Star Wars" is the best film of all time wrestling fans.