Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV April 11th to 17th

fakeplastictrees

While Maryse in theory works well, her delivery of the scripted lines is just terrible. The concept is good and the elements involved is money, but the delivery is falling a too flat for my liking. I was never a Maryse fan in the first place, but this second run is becoming more and more 'meh'. Hopefully its just 'rust' and she finds her way, because again...its money...but something isn't clicking at the moment.

Doc And Gallows are officially in WWE, Cesaro is still looking like a complete beast in the ring, and The Wyatts have continue their face (?) turn by siding with babyface (?) Roman Reigns? I'm confused, but that's SHADES OF GREY REALITY ERA stuff for ya! It's Vince Russo's ideology all grown up and slightly matured.

Overall a very good Raw to start the week.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Raw was a great show tonight. We got storylines furthering, four good matches and a few stinker segments but overall awesome. Styles/Zayn was the MOTN but the Womens match, Owens/Cesaro, and the main event were a lot of fun. Plus we got the debut of Anderson and Gallows demolishing the Usos. Huge thumbs up.

Very enjoyable Raw. For two weeks now crowds have been completely invested in Enzo, interested to see if they remain interested in the matches. Bray Wyatt is a great hot tag, you don't really notice how good an athlete he can be when he's working heel. Nice to see the authority figure interact with all levels of the roster and not just the main program.

How was Styles vs Zayn?

Solid, but more because it'd be tough for them to not be passable. Definitely didn't live up to expectations though as they didn't look to be on the same page much of the night. Someone always a half step slow or too fast.

Some really interesting, and surprisingly subtle, booking tonight. May/likely mean nothing, given they're going to Europe for the comedy hours that usually produces, but for one night it was pretty refreshing and not in a "they're changing everything!" kind of way.

After AJ, Nakamura, and now Anderson/Gallows I can only imagine how baffled Vince must be that fans pop for guys that have never been on WWE TV. Except Gallows of course.

I'd think he'd be even more baffled by Gallows' pop. The guy was a meaningless opening card act the last time he was on WWE TV.

The three matches from this week's show that I watched today featured a lot more playing to the crowd in the building. It made all the matches seem much better. It makes me wonder if Vince saw guys doing it at Takeover, saw that it got over and came across well and loosened the edict.

Charlotte is very over as champion. It's going to be a big deal when she drops the title and finally gets her comeuppance. Dave said Natalya has been doing jiu-jitsu training with Josh Barnett lately, and I thought she looked great in that match.

Zayn-Styles was solid but not as good as it should have been because of some crossed signals. I'm sure it would be much better happening again. Cesaro-Owens was terrific. Owens did some great work on Cesaro's shoulder and again, I really liked how everyone was playing to the crowd in their matches.

Everyone groaned when Miz ended up with the IC title, but I think he might end up being more protected than the usual IC champ since Maryse is on Total Divas now and people on that show seem to get more protection than anyone else.

Speaking of secondary titles, not that I wanted Kalisto to be hurt, but that whole deal was weird. It looked like the Dudleys and Sin Cara were redoing the match on the fly, complete with having to repeat the 3D, but apparently the injury was all an angle. Like now all of a sudden they don't wan the US champion to look like a jobber?

The funny thing is that the show was patterned just like any other Raw on paper (authority figure comes out and makes a bunch of matches), but having it be a babyface giving the crowd something they want rather than the heel punishing them made it so much fresher.

For what it's worth the McMahons (incuding Shane) and Hunter are not advertised for any future tv tapings going forward .

Also in a wtf moment Anderson and Gallows worked Main Event tonight. Yes they made their official debut on the c- show (uhh I guess it was a dark segment)

So guys...can we kind of talk about Charlotte and Natalya lowkey having a damn RINGS match in the middle of Raw??

That was some boss ass shit. Nattie going all faux MMA and Charlotte using her size and the leg picking and taking guard and mounted strikes into a flash armbar to the well placed palm strikes and building up to the duelling submissions to finish...man. That is some good shit.

The point in a match where Charlotte goes for multiple pinfalls in desperation and then cries out "Dad!!" in despair is the best part of her act.

Also, for how long has Miz been doing shit like doing multiple takes of his promo mid-promo? That's the kind of shit he should have been doing for years.

Considering how much of her character depends on her lineage and being a third-generation wrestler, Nattie was really bad a few years back. She seemed really off (I remember the famous AJ match, where she dropped the Sharpshooter too early and stood like an idiot expecting the ref to raise her hand), and was getting overtaken by the likes of Alicia Fox or Layla. But you can sense the new emphasis on the division has fired her up and she's getting right back to being good again. The Roadblock match was one of the best matches on the show, and the Raw match was really good too. If what Loss said is true, and she's adding more strings to her bow, then good on her.

For what it's worth the McMahons (incuding Shane) and Hunter are not advertised for any future tv tapings going forward .

Also in a wtf moment Anderson and Gallows worked Main Event tonight. Yes they made their official debut on the c- show (uhh I guess it was a dark segment)

I would assume they worked Main Event since it was a skeleton crew doing the tapings (everyone else left for the Europe tour).

The three matches from this week's show that I watched today featured a lot more playing to the crowd in the building. It made all the matches seem much better. It makes me wonder if Vince saw guys doing it at Takeover, saw that it got over and came across well and loosened the edict.

Charlotte is very over as champion. It's going to be a big deal when she drops the title and finally gets her comeuppance. Dave said Natalya has been doing jiu-jitsu training with Josh Barnett lately, and I thought she looked great in that match.

Zayn-Styles was solid but not as good as it should have been because of some crossed signals. I'm sure it would be much better happening again. Cesaro-Owens was terrific. Owens did some great work on Cesaro's shoulder and again, I really liked how everyone was playing to the crowd in their matches.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing re: crowd interaction and thought it contributed to a hotter crowd than usual, especially during the Women's match where Charlotte was a great heel. Can't have many complaints about that Raw and even the Dr Phil stuff was used in a way that furthered Charlotte as the arrogant, cheating champion which is pretty unusual for WWE's current use of celebrities.

I will complain about JBL though, who has managed to strip the heel commentator role of any and all subtlety, wit or charm and has slid completely into obnoxious unlistenability. When you combine it with Saxton's inability to say anything interesting, it becomes readily apparent how good a job Michael Cole does carrying the pair of them.