The self-conscious epic in AJPW vs. The self-conscious epic in 00s WWE / indies

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 Bierschwale

Bierschwale
  • Members
  • 1058 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

I don't think "contextualizing stuff with something else from 30 seconds before" is overthinking.

#82 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 647 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:29 PM

I thought Trevor Lee vs. Chip Day seemed to perfectly fit the self-conscious epic definition described on the first page. It had a really strong start, a solid middle but in the finishing stretch, they just went on and on and on with a ton of manufactured drama and a real "we are trying make this feel like one for the ages" vibe which killed the match for me. If you have to force the epic feel, then it's not epic. Which directly relates to authenticity point. 

Atleast in something like Okada vs. Omega II, regardless of whether you thought it was dramatic/epic or not, everything felt genuine and real. That's where I disagree about applying the term self-conscious epic to modern NJPW (or 90s AJPW for that matter). I get disliking the style and the matches but atleast they don't have that overt "we are trying to create an all time classic/have a 5 star match" feel unlike certain US indies or some WWE matches. Part of that is the difference in crowds I feel.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users