All that remains of the 2006 threads

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43386 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:51 PM

None of the links work, but now the newer posters at least know we didn't pretend there was a 2006 poll, and you can see what was being discussed at the time if nothing else.

http://goo.gl/ieAfG8

#2 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43386 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:57 PM

The idea wasn't exactly well-received at New Millenium Blues, which eventually spun off into Pro Wrestling Only:

http://goo.gl/Zf2ZjG

#3 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43386 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 09:59 PM

Me working out my ballot picks here back in 2006, with others chiming in:

http://goo.gl/evKa8L

#4 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43386 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:05 PM

"He was a great heel and annoying as fuck but being the king of Portland is like being the top dog in CZW today. It doesn't mean much in my eyes." -- goodhelmet on Buddy Rose

#5 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43386 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:21 PM

Continuing to read that thread and it looks like a lot of us shared our final ballots in it. I was a lot more adventurous then it would seem, trying to put people like El Texano in my top 100.

#6 Beast

Beast
  • Members
  • 1172 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:48 PM

Sean Morley discussion thread? Oh my.

And Shawshank Rudotion was certainly a feisty one.

#7 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:59 PM

"He was a great heel and annoying as fuck but being the king of Portland is like being the top dog in CZW today. It doesn't mean much in my eyes." -- goodhelmet on Buddy Rose

Hahahaha! Eat those words Will!

#8 Exposer

Exposer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 2198 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:03 PM

"Nobuhiko Takada He's the other guy in my Japanese top five taking the place of Misawa in yours." - Dylan Waco 2006

How things have changed.

#9 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

None of the links work, but now the newer posters at least know we didn't pretend there was a 2006 poll, and you can see what was being discussed at the time if nothing else.

http://goo.gl/ieAfG8

I'm glad the links don't work. I absolutely don't want to see some probably idiotic stuff I said back then ! Plus I was probably a much bigger asshole than I am now.

#10 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:18 PM

"Nobuhiko Takada He's the other guy in my Japanese top five taking the place of Misawa in yours." - Dylan Waco 2006

Your tastes were so much better then, Dylan. ;)

#11 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:12 AM

Holy shit, times have changed. Takada and Harley Race...wow.

#12 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:34 AM

"the myth that Hogan was good in Japan" was probably a quote from me. And yeah, I still stand strong about it. The idea that Hogan was somewhat much better in Japan came from the fact he used to show a little bit more and that he didn't Hulk up, but after a while you realize he was just doing the same crappy looking routine that looked cool the first time you see it because it's unexpected. Hogan in the 80's didn't strike me as much better, the Inoki matches are painfull. Yeah, Stan Hansen beats him up to one of his best matches over there, but then again, Stan is a #1 contender for best ever. I hope Hogan drops today.

#13 DR Ackermann

DR Ackermann
  • Members
  • 790 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:39 AM

I actually think Hogan was way better in the United States than he was in Japan. He just wasn't good at Strong Style and did the same shitty sequences like you said.

#14 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 02:57 AM

I agree on Hogan in Japan. I think it was easy to convince oneself of it because WWF was cartoony and Japan was the land of real wrestling and Hogan "used more moves" there, but his matches there aren't anything special compared to either the good Japanese matches or the good Hogan in WWF matches.

#15 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:04 AM

FWIW, the most fun I had watching Hogan work (hell, the only time I really had fun, although I do like some of his WWF work) was during his Hollywood Hogan era, when he had his working shoes on and was really good playing heel, even making one-hip Piper look good and looking better than Ric Flair was at the same time.

#16 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:05 AM

What are the good Hogan in WWF matches exactly?

#17 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 04:16 AM

Slaughter... Ok, that's all I can think of.

#18 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 05:21 AM

What are the good Hogan in WWF matches exactly?

Andre, Savage, Warrior, Slaughter, Race, Bossman, Schultz, Valentine, Orndorff off the top of my head. Assuming we're just talking about that 80s period.

I think he had a lot of good matches during the Hulkamania run. One of the reasons why he's on my list.

#19 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 06:46 AM

Backlund vs. heel Hogan from the Spectrum in '80 is excellent. Hogan-Funk from SNME isn't great, but it's kind of amazing to watch those two together at the beginning of '86.

#20 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 17 April 2016 - 07:31 AM

"I think Bill Dundee may be too high because no one has been able to point me to any non-Jerry Lawler matches that could be argued as classics." goodhelmet

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users