Pro Wrestling Only

All that remains of the 2006 threads

Loss

"He was a great heel and annoying as fuck but being the king of Portland is like being the top dog in CZW today. It doesn't mean much in my eyes." -- goodhelmet on Buddy Rose

:)

I was wrong and unlike people who dig in their heels, I can admit when I am wrong. This was also at a time when the guys I hated as a kid.... Tully, Buddy Rose, etc. were guys I still hated as an adult because I had such negative memories of them.

None of the links work, but now the newer posters at least know we didn't pretend there was a 2006 poll, and you can see what was being discussed at the time if nothing else.

http://goo.gl/ieAfG8

I'm glad the links don't work. I absolutely don't want to see some probably idiotic stuff I said back then ! Plus I was probably a much bigger asshole than I am now.

No, you are a bigger asshole now.

What are the good Hogan in WWF matches exactly?

Not to pimp them as off the charts, but I think these raise above the "solid" level to being good:

04/12/80 Hulk Hogan vs Bob Backlund (Spectrum)

01/27/86 Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage (MSG)

02/17/86 Hulk Hogan vs Randy Savage (MSG)

08/28/86 Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (CNE Stadium)

10/18/86 Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (Philly)

12/14/86 Hulk Hogan vs Paul Orndorff (Hartford - SNME)

06/14/87 Hulk Hogan vs Harley Race (MSG)

03/18/89 Hulk Hogan vs Big Bossman (MSG)

04/25/89 Hulk Hogan vs Big Bossman (Des Moines - SNME)

03/17/02 Hulk Hogan vs The Rock (Skydome)

They're not collectively the greatest things since sliced bread, but they're enjoyable, entertaining, good matches if one doesn't hate Hogan. One could say that his opponent is at times putting on a show, or the better of the two workers. Might be the case in most of them. But Hogan isn't a bump on a log being carried in all of them. The closest is the Backlund match, but I'd have to say that Hogan is decent for a big guy a few years into his career.

Watched Bash at the Beach 1994 last night. Certainly has to be up there with Hogan's best. In terms of atmosphere, it's up there with the Goldberg, Warrior, and Rock matches, all of which took place in huge domes. In terms of layout, selling, and storytelling, it's up there with anything from the Hulkamania era.

Watched Bash at the Beach 1994 last night. Certainly has to be up there with Hogan's best. In terms of atmosphere, it's up there with the Goldberg, Warrior, and Rock matches, all of which took place in huge domes. In terms of layout, selling, and storytelling, it's up there with anything from the Hulkamania era.

Definitely a really good match. Pretty favorable reviews in the MDA as well, but for some reason not one that's often brought up on Hogan's greatest hits list.

Hogan vs Kamala from Dec 86 and Jan 87 MSG are both very good. Also a Dec 86 (I believe) match between the two in Boston.

Hogan vs Savage in WWF was always fun. Just saw one from Oct 85 in Toronto last month that is awesome

Hogan vs Terry Funk from SNME Jan 86 I linked today in another thread is a blast

Basically you can't go wrong with most of Hogan's big matches from about 82-91 IMO

Definitely a really good match. Pretty favorable reviews in the MDA as well, but for some reason not one that's often brought up on Hogan's greatest hits list.

I think the reason is if you're trying to sell someone on Hogan, you'd probably not point them to his time as the top babyface in a company where he had such transparently astroturf support from fans. No matter how good the matches are, the act of Hulk Hogan never felt more insincere than it did in 1993 WWF and 1994-1995 WCW.

• 1 month later...

I think the reason is if you're trying to sell someone on Hogan, you'd probably not point them to his time as the top babyface in a company where he had such transparently astroturf support from fans. No matter how good the matches are, the act of Hulk Hogan never felt more insincere than it did in 1993 WWF and 1994-1995 WCW.

I know this is a big bump, but it's worth mentioning imo I'd agree with your point for Hogan especially regarding 1995. But 1994? You could say the same thing about Ricky Steamboat vs. Ric Flair in 1989, especially given how much fans wanted Flair to be the face and steamboat got booed and the program didn't draw, but nobody rags on Steamboats run during that period, mostly, probably because the matches were fantastic. Yet nobody says don't sell me on Steamboat based on his WCW work.

The Clash match aside, Flair and Hogan had some nice matches in 1994 (not Flair-Steamboat level for sure), and WCW's business took an upturn, although not a massive one during that period..