Pro Wrestling Only

Who are the Top 10 CHOPPERS of all time?

JerryvonKramer

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need to think about this more.

Only american boy I would consider is Stan Hansen. Wahoo I haven't watched enough to properly judge but yeah he's good. Prime Joe is a good call. Steamboat and Flair aren't really any better at chopping than Roderick Strong in my book.

Lucha folks I have no idea how to judge really. I mean I have no idea how hard RUSH hits but his chops look awesome.

I actually wouldn't consider Hash because Kesagiri Chops are a different beast in my book. But two handed chest chops and chest slaps (you know what I'm talking about) still count.

One japanese guy I want to give a shout-out to before I come back with a huge list is Naomichi Marufuji. I've seen him bloody up someone's chest with those things like three times by now, you can talk shit about him as a worked all you want but he can chop, especially since he made chops the focus of his striking and dropped his weak-ass elbows in 2012-2013.

After thinking about it, I can't really come up with lucha guys other than Rush and Perro Aguayo. I have to be sleeping on someone. Lots of guys like Casas that have good looking chops but don't stand out that much.

Some Jap guys that come to mind now:

Kenta Kobashi

Go Shiozaki

Kensuke Sasaki

Shinjiro Ohtani

Genichiro Tenryu

Yuji Okabayashi

Daisuke Sekimoto

Yoshihito Sasaki

Suwama (by two handed chops I meant the SUWAMA-style chops, not the Tenzan/Killer Khan Mongolian Chops)

Toshiaki Kawada

Tomohiro Ishii

Tomoaki Honma

Tatsuhito Takaiwa

Masato Tanaka

Hiroshi Hase also had neat chops I'm editing him in

Lots of guys who have chops that look really good but don't rely on them that much so I don't know what to do with them (Omori, Kohei Sato/Shuji Ishikawa, Minoru Suzuki etc.) Pretty much anyone who worked Big Japan in recent years knows how to throw some hands.

For US Indy guys other than Roddy and I'd also mention Low Ki. And Super Dragon.

Absolutely love a great chop and even morseso when it's smartly incorporated into a match. Flair probably wins it for me, but also a big fan of Joe and Kobashi on this list. Ron agar in another great one.

Not a fan of when it's thrown after a huge setup with tons of lag time like WWE often falls prey to. Don't see how that's any different than the floppy junior spots that are criticized for being too contrived.

Not quite related, but in the same hemisphere enough that it feels relevant is the best lariat. Always defaulted to Hansen here but after going back over some prime work from both I think Jumbo actually takes the lariat crown.

Not quite related, but in the same hemisphere enough that it feels relevant is the best lariat. Always defaulted to Hansen here but after going back over some prime work from both I think Jumbo actually takes the lariat crown.

Believe it or not, I'd want to bring Lex Luger into this conversation. His just looks so damn perfect. Sexy Lexy.

I find the way Flair does chops more satisfying than a lot of other guys who do them. He really lets them sink in. I can't remember which pod it was we talked about it, but also the different ways he uses the chop in a match -- psych out, mind game, punishment, humilation, declaration of superiority, mechanism to take breath from opponent, desparation move -- he's the master to me.

Probably Kobashi #2 just cos I can watch those youtube clips all bloody day.

Believe it or not, I'd want to bring Lex Luger into this conversation. His just looks so damn perfect. Sexy Lexy.

Sexy indeed! Not quite as violent as the big guns, but he had great form and usually worked up a hell of a running start. Nice sleeper.

I find the way Flair does chops more satisfying than a lot of other guys who do them. He really lets them sink in. I can't remember which pod it was we talked about it, but also the different ways he uses the chop in a match -- psych out, mind game, punishment, humilation, declaration of superiority, mechanism to take breath from opponent, desparation move -- he's the master to me.

This was exactly what I was talking about. Perhaps not always the strongest or loudest, but always great audio on his and absolutely no one was better at *using* the chop rather than just throwing it out there for the sake of it.

This was exactly what I was talking about. Perhaps not always the strongest or loudest, but always great audio on his and absolutely no one was better at *using* the chop rather than just throwing it out there for the sake of it.

Such a brilliantly organic and smart worker.

Can throw 10 chops in one match and each one will be in a different context and carry a different meaning. Little 10-year old Low Ki never understood that, I reckon.

There's also the one he throws just before the beg off, with the hope draining out of his face. Brilliant spot to feed a babyface comeback.

I've never seen any footage of it, but Dragon Gate's King of Chop tournament -- a tournament dedicated to finding out who has the strongest chop -- sounds kind of amazing.

Also, Regal should be an honorary mention here at a minimum, if only for using his time on NXT commentary to provide one of the only satisfying kayfabe explanations for why you'd want to chop someone in the first place.