a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 06:51 AM

Reactions to the Honorable Mention List:

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

We are in the top 100. Let's have some fun.

#2 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

An Al Pacino-level "Hoo-Wah" and proverbial pair of flimsy pink plastic shades from the Hitman himself to Grimmas for making this all happen.

Ikeda cracking 100 is a huge and unexpected achievement. I kind of love that he ended up being the #100 guy, in that for so much of his career he's been truly amazing, but still an acquired taste who's often viewed as being a peripheral NOAH guy or the duke of a tiny kingdom. Props to the DVDVR editors and WKO crew for really being his champions over the years.

If Ishikawa makes it past #95 I'll be quite surprised, but still a great showing for both of them.

#3 BAMptb

BAMptb
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:04 AM

81 left for the top 100. Lost 4 from my Top 50 though.

#4 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:29 AM

This has been so exciting to count down that when I saw the Top 100 thread posted just now I had a little *gasp* moment. I mean I almost didn't want to click on the thread because it's like...I don't want to spoil it, I want to savour the moment, and I'm also kind of scared to clink on it in case I see one of my guys fall down.

And then #100 turned out to be someone I don't care about and I exhaled.

But still, exciting times.

#5 Eegah

Eegah
  • Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:43 AM

Its the final countdown! Exciting stuff, its going to be like a Christmas celebration elongated.

#6 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10164 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:45 AM

On the one hand, Virus was high on my list, massively high, and it was almost entirely a week-to-week footage over the span of the last five years thing. At one point towards the end I desperately asked people to try to make a case against him in his thread and no one said anything.

On the other hand, I basically, all by myself, got him (and therefore another luchador) into the top one-hundred, so screw you all.

#7 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:48 AM

List seems to be mainly shoot-stylists and midgets so far.

#8 Yo-Yo's Roomie

Yo-Yo's Roomie
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:49 AM

Confession time: I didn't care for Ikeda at all. Just seemed like a guy kicking people as hard as he could, which doesn't do much for me. I'm sure I'm missing the nuance to his work, and I'm sure someone will tell me about it. Of all the Battlarts I watched (which I'm not gonna pretend was a huge amount, if I had to guess I'd ballpark 30 matches), he was the guy that pissed me off the most (I prefer Ishikawa, though didn't vote for him either- Otsuka was my guy, probably because he works a more accessible style for a newcomer) with the way that he would always lean on stiffness as a way to escalate the match. 

#9 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:53 AM

So glad Virus made it. He easily made my list. What a freaking talent, it's a shame he doesn't get more singles matches.

#10 andrew79

andrew79
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

Quick suggestion: Maybe link to the relevant nominee thread for everyone in the top 100 to make it easy for people to find out more about them.

#11 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:56 AM

Ikeda is not a shootstylist.

#12 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 07:59 AM

Quick suggestion: Maybe link to the relevant nominee thread for everyone in the top 100 to make it easy for people to find out more about them.

good idea

#13 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:01 AM

Ikeda is not a shootstylist.

I thought BattleArts was all shoot style. Sorry if mistaken.

#14 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5077 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:04 AM

Not at all a bad idea.  Was just going to add that I appreciate more comments and some match recs on Virus, as he's someone I'm just not familiar with.  Presumably that won't be the case for a lot of what's to come but its a great resource.

#15 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

Even though there are many more talented workers below him in the list, Kerry still doesn't look "wrong" at 98.

#16 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10164 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:09 AM

KVE, not better than Christian OR Virus!

#17 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:13 AM

The 90s have been good to me thus far, I don't give a shit about any of these guys.

Probably just jinxed it though.

#18 cubbymark

cubbymark
  • Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

I had Virus and Kerry on my ballot, although I had Virus in the mid 40s and Kerry towards my bottom quarter. Amazing achievement for Virus to have made the top 100, even at the very low end.

In time, he'll get to add to his case if he gets to feud with Dragon Lee II in the future. Dragon Lee II will be someone to keep your eye on for this list in ten years time.

#19 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1886 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:19 AM

Ikeda making 45 ballots is amazing. Really glad he made the final list. I wonder where Ishikawa will place since pretty much everyone rates him higher than Ikeda and gaps in their ranking are often huge.

#20 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:22 AM

So if he isn't a shootstyle guy, what style is he? I might check him out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users