Reactions to the List: 100-51

• Please log in to reply
1232 replies to this topic

#21 NotJayTabb

NotJayTabb
  • Members
  • 567 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:24 AM

Kerry is my first to fall in the top 100, though he was only the 3rd highest Von Erich on my list

#22 GOTNW

GOTNW

save all japan pro wrestling

• Members
  • 1888 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

So if he isn't a shootstyle guy, what style is he? I might check him out.

Battlarts and Futen are very much hybrid shoot style promotions. Shoot style is their base but they incorporate pro style moves in more realistic ways. Ikeda specifically is known for being probably the stiffest worker ever.

#23 cheapshot

cheapshot

The chap they call Allan.

• Members
  • 1037 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

PWO GWE Project - The Matches 

YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube....XVg_EnCzjHVPUOt

#24 GOTNW

GOTNW

• Members
  • 1888 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

My 2026 case for Ikeda:

CSTfhzdUcAA2HbD.jpg

CRrn4dVU8AAN8Kf.jpg

God-I forgot one of Jetlag's accounts was still alive. Everyone watch this now and feel shitty for not ranking El Dandy in your top 15 like I did:

#25 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:31 AM

I had Virus at #44, so not far off from his 49.7 average. Best mini of all time (if he can still be called one), and being so good on tape for 20 years doesn't hurt either.

To the people who don't get why Ikeda and Virus are on here: they made 30% of the ballots and both averaged at #50 among those voters. That's a pretty strong endorsement, albeit a different type than someone like Waltman making nearly 50% of the ballots with an avg. rank of #71. I expect you'll see a similar look for someone like Angle or Dynamite Kid, where the people who love them really love them.

#26 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:35 AM

Battlarts and Futen are very much hybrid shoot style promotions. Shoot style is their base but they incorporate pro style moves in more realistic ways. Ikeda specifically is known for being probably the stiffest worker ever.

Battlearts reoccurred a lot on the lists of Childs, Chad and Charles, and clearly with him ranking #100 a lot of people are high on him, so I might watch some of this stuff when I start watching wrestling again.

Your description and what I've heard sounds vaguely promising, and I'm wondering if it's more accessible than the dryer-than-paint-1990-UWF type stuff I tried to watch whenever it was or than Volk Han etc.

#27 andrew79

andrew79
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

I didn't rank Virus.

I had Kerry at 97.

And Ikeda at 54. I probably should have put him in the top fifty, but it's nice to see he's crept into the top 100.

Hopefully it'll be a while before we see Ishikawa.

#28 GOTNW

GOTNW

• Members
  • 1888 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:42 AM

I still mantain the 1989 Masakatsu Funaki-Tatsuo Nakano match is your best bet for shoot style. Yes, it's in UWF, no it doesn't matter. All time great brawl with all time great heat, a classic underdog story and submissions as epic nearfalls instead of being the body of the match.

#29 Manatee

Manatee
  • Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:43 AM

I decided to watch one of the recommended matches for each guy as they are revealed. Started with Ikeda vs Ishikawa from Futen which was good and stiff but my God what was up with the editing? Was this shot by the Japanese Kevin Dunn? There was not a single shot that lasted more than 2 seconds.

#30 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Yes!!! Thank you!!!

#31 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:46 AM

Battlearts reoccurred a lot on the lists of Childs, Chad and Charles, and clearly with him ranking #100 a lot of people are high on him, so I might watch some of this stuff when I start watching wrestling again.

Your description and what I've heard sounds vaguely promising, and I'm wondering if it's more accessible than the dryer-than-paint-1990-UWF type stuff I tried to watch whenever it was or than Volk Han etc.

As someone who came at shootstyle from a very similar place to you, I think, the one thing I'd recommend is looking for a guy like Alexander Otsuka or even Carl Greco. Those guys tend to incorporate more hybrid stuff - more pro-style, more suplexes, Otsuka even has some lucha influence - to go along with the stiff shots and more shooty stuff. You'd recognise it a bit more I think.

Something like Ikeda vs Ishikawa I doubt would be your cup of tea because the ones I've seen mostly involve them beating the shit out of each other.

#32 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

I do like a bit of brutality mind. Think I will review matches on Alan's playlist later, even the Virus ones.

#33 GOTNW

GOTNW

• Members
  • 1888 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Yeah Otsuka would be Parv's best bet as far as Battlarts goes probably. Might be the GOAT suplex thrower. Here is a another pic of Ikeda's dog to make the quasi shoot style voters feel good for having superior taste:

CJWtlelUEAEygob.jpg

#34 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:50 AM

Ikeda: Didn't rank him. Am gonna check out the recommende matches if possible. But from what I've already seen I still wouldn't go top 100.

Virus: Really haven't seen enough. Didn't rank. Will definetely check out!

Kerry Von Erich: My #56. My highest to fall until...

The Destroyer: My #43, my first top 50 casualty. Expected that to be someone else :-)

Looking forward to seeing Virus and maybe Ikeda more. Glad that both Kerry and Destroyer made it. I had my doubts earlier, but they did well.

#35 andrew79

andrew79
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:51 AM

I had The Destroyer at 81.

Such a fun, smart and skilled grappler. A real shame we don't have more footage.

#36 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

I do like a bit of brutality mind. Think I will review matches on Alan's playlist later, even the Virus ones.

You do and I think if you do get into those kinds of matches it would be for the brutality of them.

But I also think that what they do in between punches is the kind of shootstyle matwork and jockeying that you've found boring in the past. I could be wrong though.

Also Destroyer is my first man down, but I'm happy about him making the 100 in any form. If anyone hasn't yet seen that Baba match, do so immediately.

#37 JerryvonKramer

JerryvonKramer
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 11316 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

The Destroyer was my 29th.

I don't have great love for him like some people do, but do dig his character work.

#38 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:53 AM

Parv reviewing Virus matches is a good thing. I'm not sure what he will make of him, but what a great worker.

#39 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5077 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:54 AM

A true GWE MVP.

#40 Tim Cooke

Tim Cooke
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1529 posts

Posted 18 April 2016 - 08:56 AM

BattlArts was a hybrid promotion.  Otsuka and Ikeda worked a match in April 1999 that had all the usual submissions and striking associated with shoot style, but also included dives and some crowd brawling.  That happened a fair amount. Ishikawa and Ikeda matches were heavily strike oriented, with their stiffness being the selling point in the late 90's over the mat work.  You go through the Phil Schneider comp match descriptions from that era and Battlarts stiffness > BattlArts mat work.   It's definitely not shoot style in the vein of the UWF style promotions that started in 1984 and ended in late 2004.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users