• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#41 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10166 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:44 PM

I feel like we should be Wrestling Observers.

#42 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4401 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 07:50 PM

2026ers, be nice to each other.

Don't let your sons grow up to start Ric Flair threads.

#43 Parties

Parties
  • Members
  • 1130 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 08:26 PM

May 2026 bring a cure for sass-mouth, and a colony on Mars where all the bars play old lucha.

#44 Death From Above

Death From Above
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:06 PM

All I ask is that they be true to themselves in their balloting.

Listen, I already feel like kind of a wrestling dinosaur at 34 that doesn't totally understand some things loved in the modern game. But with only a couple of small things near the bottom I might change, I am pretty happy that my ballot reflects what I do get and like about wrestling.

So do that, because you'll never please everyone all the time. Don't waste a second of effort trying.

#45 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10166 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

No nomination, no committee, just let people discuss and vote for who the fuck they want, really.

If I had it to do again I would still require nominations, but ditch the three match rule and replace it with something more straightforward.  More specifically I'd probably just have it where anyone can start a thread at any time on any wrestler without the need for a larger nomination thread, the only catch being that they need to write something about why they are nominating them.  I don't care if it's a single sentence or longer (I'd prefer a paragraph in an ideal world), just something saying "this is why I may vote for X."

The whole reason the nominations idea was in play was because I remember how utterly fucking stupid it was during the Smarkschoice Best WCW matches poll when an active poster voted for a match number one without mentioning it a single time throughout the process.  It was a match no one else had seen or heard of.  To me that defeated the entire point of the project, and I didn't want to have a repeat of that here.  

#46 Timbo Slice

Timbo Slice
  • Members
  • 1422 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:51 PM

Dear 2026,

If you do nominations, make sure SUWA is nominated.

Sincerely,

The Moron Who Forgot To And Would Have Definitely Voted For Him

#47 El McKell

El McKell

Actually The Worst

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 12:47 AM

How long was the nominating/viewing period? 18 months? Two years? I'm not sure it needed to be that long. I know there are a lot of people who used that time to their own benefit, but would the final list have been that much different if we'd crammed it all into nine months?

I don't think I could've participated with a 9 month viewing period to be honest. It just wouldn't have been enough time for me to get a look at enough of the nominees and I wouldn't want to hand in a ballot where half the people nominated were people I'd never watched

#48 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:20 AM

No nomination, no committee, just let people discuss and vote for who the fuck they want, really.

If I had it to do again I would still require nominations, but ditch the three match rule and replace it with something more straightforward.  More specifically I'd probably just have it where anyone can start a thread at any time on any wrestler without the need for a larger nomination thread, the only catch being that they need to write something about why they are nominating them.  I don't care if it's a single sentence or longer (I'd prefer a paragraph in an ideal world), just something saying "this is why I may vote for X."

Yes, I agree with this. Sounds pretty much the way to go. Don't just throw out a name, justify it, and there you go.

#49 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:29 AM

Let's pick 3-5 relatively young people to form a secret planning society over the next 10 years.

#50 Lee Casebolt

Lee Casebolt
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

2026ers, two things - 

1) Leave your comfort zone. Whatever you're into, go watch something else for a few months. You're a lucha guy? Shoot-style deep dive. Modern indies your thing? Find all the Golden Age you can. Use that time to fill in your blind spots.

2) Embrace your biases. Once you've done the work, you love what you love. Ric Flair leaves you cold after two years of trying to get into his shit? Don't vote for that motherfucker. The revisionist history on AJ Styles drives you nuts? It's ok to have him at the bottom of your list. You're the only one who understands the beauty of Daisuke Sekimoto? Vote early, vote often.

#51 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

My two cents:

- Keep the definition of "greatest wrestler" as open as this year.

- Keep the nomination process

- Either keep the three match thing or at least come up with something else that makes sure you can't just nominate someone by naming them. If it's that "easy" someone's just gonna list of a thousand random wrestler names, so they can sabotage that process. Maybe the "make a case" idea Dylan and El-P are advocating. Something at least.

- Keep a two year period for the project. It takes time to really generate the heat for it, and I'm pro the high voter turnout we got this time.

- Try not to disqualify someone just because you're a little bored of them at the moment of voting. Try to remember how you felt a month ago, six months ago, a year ago. Because you might feel that way again soon. So try to avoid making it only a snapshot of the date you're filling in the ballot. Use the full time, make a list early and then keep adjusting it.

- See as many different styles, eras and regions as possible.

- Trust the people who've seen a ton more than you, and follow their match reccomendations. Not so you vote the same as them, but because they have a pretty good idea about what you should see as a minimum to make a reasonably educated vote.

- Be active in the debates leading up to the actual vote.

- Stay curious throughout the whole thing. When someone talks someone up that you either don't know well or don't immediately like, be open and try to understand why others dig that wrestler. The whole proces is not necessarily about you winning over others to your point of view, but broadening your own horisons. If the project makes you appreciate someone you didn't earlier or makes you discover a new style or territory, then you've won.

#52 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:33 PM

I was going to try to post something in this thread, but the last two posts pretty much summed up anything I would want to say.

#53 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7359 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:35 PM

Don't be active in the discussion the entire time and then decide not to vote for silly reasons.

#54 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 407 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:15 AM

Start a thread inviting opinions on who the better wrestler is - Ric Flair or Bret Hart. Talk about formula and having the same match every night.

#55 Cross Face Chicken Wing

Cross Face Chicken Wing
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 06:57 AM

Be sure to bring up Kamala in the discussions at completely random times.

#56 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 07:07 AM

Start a thread inviting opinions on who the better wrestler is - Ric Flair or Bret Hart. Talk about formula and having the same match every night.

Now this is something I can get behind. 

#57 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Be sure to bring up Kamala in the discussions at completely random times.

Ha! Right on! Need to make a good talk better? Need to derail a stupid debate? Bored? There's always cause to randomly talk about the Ugandan giant!

#58 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:17 AM

Don't make the vote (or the board in general) about politics, ethics or religion. This brother- and sisterhood has one common, uniting interest and passion. The joy of wrestling. Focus on that :-)

#59 Danish Dynamite

Danish Dynamite
  • Members
  • 402 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:25 AM

By 2026 there's gonna be a lot of voters who grew up on post 2000(even post 2010) wwe and feel a great nostalgia for that stuff. Don't be influenced by that nostalgia! Ignore it! ... Go back and watch the stuff we, the majority og the 2016 voters, feel nostalgia for, because we are way more objective and our childhood had better wrestling than yours. Plus we're older and know what's good for you.

#60 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 10:17 AM

By 2026 there's gonna be a lot of voters who grew up on post 2000(even post 2010) wwe and feel a great nostalgia for that stuff. Don't be influenced by that nostalgia! Ignore it! ... Go back and watch the stuff we, the majority og the 2016 voters, feel nostalgia for, because we are way more objective and our childhood had better wrestling than yours. Plus we're older and know what's good for you.

This is one of those things I'm curious to what wrestlers, or types of wrestlers, we see having opinions either improved or lessen. Like what sort of acts that didn't do well on the list are we likely to see people talk about? 

I don't know, food for thought? Maybe not even that. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users