Premier Podcast Brand #2 - PWO'S Greatest Wrestler Ever 50-1

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

I get why people would shake their head at it. Hell I might myself in ten years.  

I would note (without spoiling anything) that while some might consider me "anti-AJPW" I voted the four pillars plus 1 and the top gajin from the early 90s all in my top 30.  

Tough to argue you're anti-AJPW there.  I'm just of the mindset that that crew is responsible for the best wrestling ever and ranked them accordingly, even if irrationally so. 

One thing I love about these podcasts is hearing the case for wrestlers I haven't seen enough of as it gives me some references for things to eventually watch.  But you know its a good show when it makes me want to go back and watch the names I *am* familiar with and comfortably didn't rank, and that is the case here. 

#22 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4391 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:25 PM

I get why people would shake their head at it. Hell I might myself in ten years.  

I would note (without spoiling anything) that while some might consider me "anti-AJPW" I voted the four pillars plus 1 and the top gajin from the early 90s all in my top 30.  

Tough to argue you're anti-AJPW there.  I'm just of the mindset that that crew is responsible for the best wrestling ever and ranked them accordingly, even if irrationally so. 

One thing I love about these podcasts is hearing the case for wrestlers I haven't seen enough of as it gives me some references for things to eventually watch.  But you know its a good show when it makes me want to go back and watch the names I *am* familiar with and comfortably didn't rank, and that is the case here. 

Agree with this. Every time I listen to a chunk of the show, it leaves me excited to go watch some wrestling. Can't do better than that.

The AJPW thing really didn't strike me as a big deal, because Dylan said most of the same stuff I'd say (did say) about those guys. He just ranked most of them lower. And I love pretty much everyone he ranked higher, so it's really just a matter of shuffling the same 20 or so wrestlers.

#23 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1484 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:35 PM

Agree with this. Every time I listen to a chunk of the show, it leaves me excited to go watch some wrestling. Can't do better than that.

The AJPW thing really didn't strike me as a big deal, because Dylan said most of the same stuff I'd say (did say) about those guys. He just ranked most of them lower. And I love pretty much everyone he ranked higher, so it's really just a matter of shuffling the same 20 or so wrestlers.

At this level, the differences in order are razor thin margins of personal taste or valuation.

#24 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

At this level, the differences in order are razor thin margins of personal taste or valuation.

Of course.  We all just want to champion our guys :)

#25 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:43 PM

I actually think ranking all 4 outside of the top 15 does sort of come off as anti-AJPW relatively. I think it's going to be a fairly unique rating for someone ranking them to not have at least one in the top ten. 

#26 RIPPA

RIPPA
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

I actually think ranking all 4 outside of the top 15 does sort of come off as anti-AJPW relatively. I think it's going to be a fairly unique rating for someone ranking them to not have at least one in the top ten. 

I had my first one at #12 and I think you know me well enough to know I am hardly anti-All Japan

#27 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:53 PM

THE DEATH VALLEY PLAYAHZ. 

six fists in the face of wrestling

don't exactly count. 

#28 RIPPA

RIPPA
  • Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:00 PM

I believe the phrase you are looking for is "OUR LISTS HAVE NO CREDIBILITY~!"

#29 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9059 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:07 PM

Loved Zellner talking about the Sting/Arn title match from the Omni. A match only people in the building can talk about.

#30 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

The Cena rant totally delivered. Could not have been nodding in agreement more. The icing on the cake was that Dylan hitting his mute button at the end of that made it sound like the world's most deserved mic drop.

I feel like I'm running up Everest trying to keep my gimmick as the #1 Cena fan around here.

#31 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1286 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:39 PM

These have been terrific. I figure I'm getting close to the 4 Pillars talk, but I definitely popped at Dylan's ratings for them because mine are pretty similar other than Akiyama.

I had the All Japan Crew rated like this:

Baba - 39

Taue - 36

Kobashi - 35

Misawa - 20

Kawada - 18

Jumbo -16

I don't have the same hatred of Jumbo, but I'm not the fan I once was. I rated 7 Japanese wrestlers ahead of him.

I haven't read the All Japan Self-Conscious Epic thread yet, but I'm looking forward to it because it was an idea I had watching All Japan 90s tags. Rewatching stuff for this project, the big All Japan guys (except Baba) were the hardest to re-watch. Even as early as 1993 there were times where it felt like they were going completely overboard.

edit:

I had Akiyama at 50 but that is with relatively limited post 2000s viewing and I know a lot of what pushes him to that top tier level for most people is the post 2000 stuff.

#32 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9059 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 01:11 AM

I loved hearing Dylan referencing the 2006 poll and wondering who Jim Breaks was. I remember the Brits going ape on him too. My memory always told me it was Will. I was wrong it was Dylan.

#33 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2337 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

It's funny when I get to Fujiwara and Dylan references the old, tired taking point about his defensive positioning. When I got to talking about Fujiwara on the podcast with Matt I had no idea such a talking point existed, I was just thinking of things to say about him and remembered noticing how he moved around the ring. Now it turns out it was the same thing everyone else noticed. Not that I imagined that I had hit upon some brand new idea, but I just think it's interesting that his defense is so striking that even I can identify it, and I know shit about shoot style.

#34 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7725 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:54 AM

I had the same top three in the same order as Dylan!

#35 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 10:32 AM

Dylan, is the Danielson/Rave/Kyle Matthews match you mentioned online?  Looks like some highlights of Danielson vs. Matthews are there but if its available in full would rather check that out.

#36 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10163 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:05 AM

Not sure if it is, but I will look around for it. 

#37 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5071 posts

Posted 24 April 2016 - 11:06 AM

Thanks, much appreciated.

#38 JKWebb

JKWebb
  • Members
  • 826 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 06:14 AM

I had #1 from your lists ranked at #4... After hearing all your thoughts, I wish I'd had him higher. I would probably raise Bryan too. Great discussion guys... Gets me excited to seek out more stuff

#39 Matt D

Matt D

• Members
  • 10158 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:12 PM

I want to hear Dylan compare/contrast AJPW being forced to push Funk and WWE being forced to push Bryan. Both "The Other."

#40 The Man in Blak

The Man in Blak
  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:28 AM

Huge pop for "Hegelian dialectic" showing up in a wrestling podcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users