Pro Wrestling Only

Parejas Increibles Greatest Wrestler Ever Special - Part 5

I did not write this blurb. Nor can I fully account for post-3am delirium. But it was a load off my mind.

Lots of good and interesting points made by Matt here. And lots of me yelling at the clouds that are the prevalent opinions on modern WWE candidates. I think this is the longest one we've done yet as well.

Something has just struck me, and again we don't have the time to spare to talk about extra stuff like this on the show so I'll just mention it here.

I think every single GWE podcast I've got through so far, they have all had at least one placement in common. At least once they've had the same guy at the same number.

I did go back and write down Matt's listings and compared our lists, and the biggest takeaway, not that it's a shocker or anything, but it's just how far apart we are. There are over 50 guys that Matt ranked that I didn't, and of those I think MAYBE five of them were even on my radar. And same thing for a lot of my guys to him I'm sure. Even the guys that we do agree on, I mean, we basically agree in every way about someone like Christian, and there was still a 20 place gap in our rankings! I think the closest we've come to each other is like having Tully 4 places apart.

As we get into our final 22 or so guys, I'm going to put it out there that I don't think Matt and I will have a single guy ranked in sync. In fact I'd be kind of astonished if we did.

Wow, I hear the Ed Norton thing too! I really enjoyed the thoughts on Undertaker and how multiple finishers came into play as he got older. I also agree that Punk should get more credit in how he changed the way guys from the indie scene could be booked. Loved the comparison to Foley - great listen!

Ive really enjoyed this rundowns. You are both very passionate about your rankings which I can always appreciate. Side note, Matt sounds exactly like Chuck Klosterman which is great on many levels.

Yeah, I caught that at times. Made me like him more.

I want to echo the praise of the Taker defense. I have been sort of slowly but surely working my way through these lists in podcast form over the week and that is (so far) the most impressive defense of a single candidate I have heard - at least insofar as it made me reevaluate the way I have thought about someone that I am very familiar with and could make a holistic evaluation of right now. That was top tier stuff, and that comes from a guy who thinks pretty highly of taker already.

I would add (more accent your point) that I think he is sort of a WWE rock, an anchor of sorts that has grounded a lot performers and pulled their best "WWE wrestling"matches out of them. I think he reigned in HBK better than anyone and did so with different versions of HBK. He did the same for Brock. Brock has always brought something unique and special to the ring (for better or worse) and Taker always meshed that with what I expect out of a wrestling match better than just about anyone (sans maybe Punk in that one match, but Taker did it three times). He might not get the "best" matches out of Brock in terms of star rating (though their first HIAC match is probably my favorite Brock match), but he gets I think the best wrestling matches out of him. Taker - maybe better than anyone - seems to understand what the WWE is vs what wrestling is or can be more broadly and has sort of embodied that for quite some time now.