Part 3

Reactions to the List: 

100-51

#2 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:00 AM

Oh come on. Robinson down but not Lesnar? And I even voted for Lesnar, but this is too much.

#3 bestintheworld3589

bestintheworld3589
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:05 AM

I'm surprised CM Punk made Top 50 and Murdoch didn't considering how much of a PWO favorite he is. 

#4 Jimmy Redman

Jimmy Redman
  • Members
  • 2338 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:10 AM

Robinson is one of the guys where I actually agree on the "if only we had more footage" line. He's a genuine shame of lost footage at this point.

Still think Finlay needs to go, way moreso than Punk or Brock.

#5 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:13 AM

I meant to have Robinson on my list. I misplaced his name at some point near the end when I was finalizing my list with some changes. I regret it even more now as he would of made it a little higher with my vote. I did same damn thing with Dustin.

#6 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 1033 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:10 AM

Still think Finlay needs to go, way moreso than Punk or Brock.

Hell no. I'd like to see Punk or Brock having an epic match with Zack Ryder.

#7 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:21 AM

Oops. Sorry, Billy. Thankfully, Andre would have fallen where he did regardless.

#8 MoS

MoS
  • Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Kong was my no. 15. This is sad.

#9 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1543 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:26 AM

Wow, this list was definitely not kind to joshi.

#10 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1543 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:29 AM

Oh come on. Robinson down but not Lesnar? And I even voted for Lesnar, but this is too much.

You Lesnar voters need to take a moment of reflection over what you have wrought.

#11 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8865 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:45 AM

Wow, this list was definitely not kind to joshi.

This list was not kind to anything but mainstream. It's ironic that with all the footage explosion, the Top 100 is more centered than ever on mainstream US guys. I think Post Benoit Workrate guilt and criticism relativism (with the awful "he played his role well" arguments which led to stuff like "Kamala was very good" and other absurd way of thinking of that ilk) played a part in this, since Japan was always seen as "workrate territory", as was lucha in a way. The only japanese guys who will gain from this are the ones who have been pimped hardcore over the last few years, by that I mean the two Fujis (who did deserve better than their spot of 2006), same thing for one or two territory guys (Lawler & Rose). Like I predicted early, a very conservative list. Ric Flair should win.

So yeah, Aja Kong is #49 and the last woman to make the list. Kinda embarrassing for such a great wrestler.

#12 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:49 AM

I don't understand this conservative list complaint. What, do you want a Dragon Gate guy in the top 10? Weren't people voting for the GWE, not to make the most unpredictable list possible?

#13 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10284 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:55 AM

I have to say that all women competitors being exalted by #49 is pretty disappointing. I am not trying to make this into a social justice list but that does seem striking to me. 

#14 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10265 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:57 AM

I don't see it as a social justice thing considering the shoot guys (save for what, Fujiwara?) and the WoS guys (save for maybe Finlay and Regal but that's not where their case is made) are pretty much gone too. It's a genre thing, not a sexism thing.

#15 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8865 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

Yes. It's all about mainstream US wrestling taking over this time around. Let's not kid ourselves, if a guy like Tajiri did really well, it's because of his US career. If Regal and Finlay (who's WWE career is ridiculously overrated from what I've seen) are so high, same thing.

I guess I'm guilty of this as much as anyone since I never dig into lucha and WoS, but I did rate a bunch of women and shoot-style guys, including at very high spots.

Anyway, really curious to see how the top 50 will be put together, especially some specific guys.

#16 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10284 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:01 AM

What genre does Kong have compared to most of joshi though? Her matches don't seem much more high impact compared to male counterparts. Ditto on Hokuto. 

#17 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

I don't understand this conservative list complaint. What, do you want a Dragon Gate guy in the top 10? Weren't people voting for the GWE, not to make the most unpredictable list possible?

You can agree or disagree with his point, but its pretty clear that it was not a call for unpredictability.

#18 InYourCase

InYourCase
  • Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

I do, lol 

Are we forgetting Brock had an elite two years and then the Eddie match? It's not just his return stuff. Do I think he should've been rated this highly? No. But I think the outrage of him staying on at this point is a little ridiculous. 

#19 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7900 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:05 AM

You can agree or disagree with his point, but its pretty clear that it was not a call for unpredictability.

Actually it wasn't clear, because I don't know what a "conservative" list means. Asking for clarification.

#20 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8865 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:13 AM

I really enjoy Finlay, but this is someone who never struck me as that great of a worker. Super solid, yeah. Even more than that. But he never put it together to have special matches, whereas Regal did (despite being put more or less in the same position). I had seen some of his most vaunted WWE match, and I was not that impressed. His WCW work is excellent, but he also never found a way to get himself over. And it's not a matter of not getting a push. Finlay winning the TV title early in one PPV in 98 deflated the crowd hard. His New Japan sting in the 90's is mediocre. Way overrated on this list. Would have made my top 150 or 200 without an issue, but I don't see him as a Top 50 guy ever at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users