Reactions to the List: 50-26

• Please log in to reply
654 replies to this topic

#21 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5077 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:22 AM

I really enjoy Finlay, but this is someone who never struck me as that great of a worker. Super solid, yeah. Even more than that. But he never put it together to have special matches, whereas Regal did (despite being put more or less in the same position). I had seen some of his most vaunted WWE match, and I was not that impressed. His WCW work is excellent, but he also never found a way to get himself over. And it's not a matter of not getting a push. Finlay winning the TV title early in one PPV in 98 deflated the crowd hard. His New Japan sting in the 90's is mediocre. Way overrated on this list. Would have made my top 150 or 200 without an issue, but I don't see him as a Top 50 guy ever at all.

Basically where I am on Finlay as well.  Just never connected with me.  Always solid but just never special unless in with Regal.  He's a common favorite of many people who's tastes are often similar to mine, but for some reason I've never been able to see the light here. 

#22 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:25 AM

I found the idea that Finlay was the best in the world in 2006 ridiculous at the time, and still think it absurd now. He was just having solid little matches with nice little touches in a style different to everyone else on the card, not churning out classics every show. It was unexpected and enjoyable rather than exciting and incredible. People seemed to be in raptures that he struggled over every move and hit some nice strikes.

My opinion at the time was that he was perfect for a solid, unspectacular midcard effort that was pretty faultless for what it was...but he was either unwilling or unable to take his matches to the next level and deliver on all the build. That is admittedly in stark contrast to most top WWE guys, who know how to generate excitement and interest down the stretch but are so unable to create any build or tension in the first half of a match that all the nearfalls and counters become meaningless, so he benefits from that comparison somewhat.

That was the year of that Benoit/Regal/Finlay comp of all their matches, so I imagined he was at his peak in terms of smart fan acclaim. It seems his appeal still holds strong.

#23 donsem43

donsem43
  • Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:29 AM

Top 10 by average before the final 50 roll out:

Kiyoshi Tamura (31.11 / 55 ballots)

Jim Breaks (36.28 / 67)

Akira Hokuto (37.45 / 76)

Yuki Ishikawa (40.22 / 54)

Azumi Hyuga (43.25 / 4)

Volk Han (44.60 / 68)

Susumu Yokosuka (45.00 / 3)

Bull Nakano (46.81 / 72)

Chigusa Nagayo (46.84 / 37)

Jaguar Yokota (46.91 / 34)

This pretty much tells the tale on joshi workers. Half of that list is women with only one getting less than 30 votes. It looks like anyone who voted for them put them high on his/her list. Compare that Shoot Style/World of Sport/Lucha where it only seems like certain well-known workers, comparatively speaking, got strong support.

#24 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:32 AM

Finlay has great matches in 4 decades in several different styles. It's not all in that 2006 run. He's still about 15 spots too low.

Aja took some beatings during the discussions, with people calling her overrated and boring etc. I actually watched some of her Arsion stuff in the last week and it wasn't too hot. She also really hasn't done much in the 2000s compared to Satomura. Wonder if I haven't overrated her placing her in my 60s.

#25 anarchistxx

anarchistxx
  • Members
  • 1641 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:39 AM

I find Aja anything but boring. Had that aura and innate charisma that was engrossing. The perfect foil for most of the AJW roster at that time. Have seen very little of her work after 1995, but her peak is astonishing.

#26 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Finlay has great matches in 4 decades in several different styles.

Since you called me on Bull's great matches, what are those great matches in 4 decades in several different styles ? I'm asking simply one per decade.

#27 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

Good to see a woman scrape the top half even if it's the wrong one. Finlay needed a leprechaun to get over so I'm not torn up with leaving him off.

#28 BAMptb

BAMptb
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:46 AM

I didn't rate WoS guys, but only because I ran out of time. What I did watch I loved. I just don't care for shoot style. I just don't.

#29 JRGoldman

JRGoldman
  • Members
  • 163 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:48 AM

Can someone give me their argument for having Vader over Aja Kong on their list? I understand why Vader is going to finish higher, but I'd love to hear from someone who ranked both and decided that Vader was better. 

#30 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

Can someone give me their argument for having Vader over Aja Kong on their list? I understand why Vader is going to finish higher, but I'd love to hear from someone who ranked both and decided that Vader was better. 

Worked in WCW. I guess.

I rated both, Aja six slots above Vader.

#31 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7359 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:00 AM

If the list is heavily favorable to mainstream US wrestling I think the only takeaway from that can be that the consensus has objectively decided that to be the best kind of wrestling. If that is the case, I applaud the consensus. 

#32 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8727 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:04 AM

Objectively.  :rolleyes:

#33 Yo-Yo's Roomie

Yo-Yo's Roomie
  • Members
  • 465 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:05 AM

I can't remember who I had higher between Vader and Aja. Both in the same ballpark, around the 20s for me. Two best 'big men' ever. I guess you could say Vader performed well and adjusted to different styles and contexts (and yes, he was good in WWF too) and Aja fell away a bit as a great worker, which I don't know if you can say the same about Vader. Both awesome though and could see arguments for either being better.

#34 Badlittlekitten

Badlittlekitten
  • Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:10 AM

Primarily, presence. Vader stands out from everyone around him, you'd put money on him against anyone. Aja is 'stoic', yet she wears goofy face paint and baggy bottoms and is pushed as a monster. It doesn't add up. She's not as 'legit' or intimidating as Chigusa or Hotta and she's not extraordinary or larger than life like fellow monsters Dump and Bull.

And Vader/Sting feud blows away . . almost everything really.

#35 Jetlag

Jetlag
  • Members
  • 953 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

Finlay has great matches in 4 decades in several different styles.

Since you called me on Bull's great matches, what are those great matches in 4 decades in several different styles ? I'm asking simply one per decade.

80s

Marty Jones vs. Dave Finlay (4/4/84)

90s

vs. Regal at Uncensored

2000s

vs. Benoit in 2006

2010s

vs. Tajiri at WNC

Now that was easy!

#36 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

The top ten is not about guys who made their cases in the US, btw.

#37 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18951 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:21 AM

I'm surprised CM Punk made Top 50 and Murdoch didn't considering how much of a PWO favorite he is. 

Murdoch isn't a PWO favorite. He is more of a DVDVR favorite. 

#38 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7359 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:25 AM

Sounds like Lawler isn't in the top 10 which means this list has no credibility. 

#39 El Boricua

El Boricua
  • DVDVR 80s Project
  • 1485 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:34 AM

Sounds like Lawler isn't in the top 10 which means this list has no credibility. 

Sounds like the list will be Flair and nine guys who worked Japan.

#40 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7727 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:39 AM

not ALL about, is a better phrase.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users