Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 50-26

Grimmas

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone give me their argument for having Vader over Aja Kong on their list? I understand why Vader is going to finish higher, but I'd love to hear from someone who ranked both and decided that Vader was better.

Worked in WCW. I guess.

I rated both, Aja six slots above Vader.

If the list is heavily favorable to mainstream US wrestling I think the only takeaway from that can be that the consensus has objectively decided that to be the best kind of wrestling. If that is the case, I applaud the consensus.

I can't remember who I had higher between Vader and Aja. Both in the same ballpark, around the 20s for me. Two best 'big men' ever. I guess you could say Vader performed well and adjusted to different styles and contexts (and yes, he was good in WWF too) and Aja fell away a bit as a great worker, which I don't know if you can say the same about Vader. Both awesome though and could see arguments for either being better.

Primarily, presence. Vader stands out from everyone around him, you'd put money on him against anyone. Aja is 'stoic', yet she wears goofy face paint and baggy bottoms and is pushed as a monster. It doesn't add up. She's not as 'legit' or intimidating as Chigusa or Hotta and she's not extraordinary or larger than life like fellow monsters Dump and Bull.

And Vader/Sting feud blows away . . almost everything really.

Finlay has great matches in 4 decades in several different styles.

Since you called me on Bull's great matches, what are those great matches in 4 decades in several different styles ? I'm asking simply one per decade.

80s

Marty Jones vs. Dave Finlay (4/4/84)

90s

vs. Regal at Uncensored

2000s

vs. Benoit in 2006

2010s

vs. Tajiri at WNC

Now that was easy!

I can't remember who I had higher between Vader and Aja. Both in the same ballpark, around the 20s for me. Two best 'big men' ever. I guess you could say Vader performed well and adjusted to different styles and contexts (and yes, he was good in WWF too) and Aja fell away a bit as a great worker, which I don't know if you can say the same about Vader. Both awesome though and could see arguments for either being better.

Primarily, presence. Vader stands out from everyone around him, you'd put money on him against anyone. Aja is 'stoic', yet she wears goofy face paint and baggy bottoms and is pushed as a monster. It doesn't add up. She's not as 'legit' or intimidating as Chigusa or Hotta and she's not extraordinary or larger than life like fellow monsters Dump and Bull.

And Vader/Sting feud blows away . . almost everything really.

Both of these are correct to put it in my own words

Vader had way more versatility and athleticism an unfortunate point that I think was made strongly through out the process was "We live in the world the way it is not the way it should be" in that people only got the chances they got as such Vader had more chances with more opponents does that mean that Vader was definitely better than Aja? No but, it does mean that we saw Vader get to show more than Aja because as a Joshi she had a much more limited pool of people to work even later one when she branched out more she didn't have anywhere near the impressive held world titles on 3 continents run Vader did.

In-ring Vader had much more varied offense and sold in a way that was more pleasing to my taste I say to my taste because I know some could and would argue that Aja's style of selling was better for a monster character which I don't care to disprove. Over all Vader just felt more game and up to the challenge of working with people more than Aja once again this is a preference to my taste at this point though with Vader clearly finishing higher than Aja I would have to assume that this is an opinion that is shared.

Vader changed what is expect from a big man wrestler in a way that could never been undone he is now the standard that big men workers are held to I just don't get that same feeling from Aja

We need to get over the idea that the results matter much. It's a "journey = destination" deal. The real countdown is you watching YouTube way later at night than you should be, because you need to know when Bull Nakano became great. That's the good part.

As others have said, the rankings may or may not give us a sense of how the footage boom has helped/hurt some guys, but as has likewise been noted, it's not clear how voters have really used that boom. Are you watching new stuff and eclectic old stuff, or just watching more of your old favorites?

The best takeaways come from the list as a snapshot of one's own viewing at this moment in time. Why you did or did not vote for someone, what you have or haven't seen. What could benefit or suffer from a rewatch (which is something I think a lot of us, myself included, don't do often enough). Hell, there have been matches and performances from 2016 alone that I've already done massive one-eighties on.

If your own list looks baffling and borderline embarrassing to you five or ten years from now, you're probably doing it right. You're broadening your range. Which doesn't mean Flair-Steamboat '89 in Chicago isn't amazing. It is. I should know: I just rewatched it.

80s

Marty Jones vs. Dave Finlay (4/4/84)

90s

vs. Regal at Uncensored

2000s

vs. Benoit in 2006

2010s

vs. Tajiri at WNC

Now that was easy!

I've seen the last three. I'd consider none as great matches. Good to excellent. Not great.

Ok, sorry for the Brock ranking. I voting him #37, I have no idea why, and when I saw that match at Mania, I just felt like an idiot for doing so. Brock has no business in my top 100. I like him a lot, but he just doesn't have the resume thus far.

I love that the guy complaining about conservative lists hasn't had a new thought about wrestling since 1998.

Again, you're the one who are stuck in 2000, as showed by the way you're consistently trolling me for no reason. You think I give a flying fuck about you in *2016* ?