Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the List: 50-26

Grimmas

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When Too Cold Scorpio and Scott Steiner are called the greatest ever and Brian Pillman gets a top 3 vote, Brock Lesnar can claim to be Flair, Misawa and Thesz rolled up in one as far as I'm concerned.

Fair point. Although I ranked Pillman over Brock.

CM Punk.....one of the few wrestlers who piqued my interest enough to actually watch Raw now and then. That in itself makes him worthy of the top 50.

Ditto. Loved the character. So I had him at #36, since I really loved some matches I've seen. Whereas he's too high or too low is something I'll only know once I'll have to revisit his career as a whole. One of the 00's guy that had *it*.

That Brock #2 vote needs to be addressed. That's high to put it lightly.

What do you recommend we do about it?

Force them to watch shoot style and joshi Clockwork Orange style until they realize the error of their ways.

We do need to get some re-education camps going here.

I recently had a conversation with a friend about Christopher Daniels and when his feud with Punk was brought up as a pro Daniels point I had one thing to say

"I refuse to give anyone any credit for having a good promo, feud, angle, or match with Punk because really it's like who has ever had a bad one with him? Elijah Burke?"

I'd take Brock over Kerry, Zayn, Angle and Jericho without a second's hesitation.

This and add Harley Race to the list for me. The only Harley stuff I've seen that I really liked were the Baba matches.

I recently had a conversation with a friend about Christopher Daniels and when his feud with Punk was brought up as a pro Daniels point I had one thing to say

"I refuse to give anyone any credit for having a good promo, feud, angle, or match with Punk because really it's like who has ever had a bad one with him? Elijah Burke?"

Big Show

I honestly didn't even consider that I'd be the high vote for Punk but yea I should've known. So for me it's definitely an attachment and connection thing over a skill and ability thing. I'm originally from Chicago so that was the drawing point although it's not reason for liking him so much. Punk was the guy that got me into indy wrestling and also was the reason I kept watching current wrestling. I got so invested in his character that I see past the mechanical flaws in the ring. He was one of the best heels in America over the last decade and his straight edge persona although real life, made me believe that he thought he was better than the guy he was feuding with. The Raven feud from 03 is so good because he's berating him for being a drug addict and alcoholic and it makes you believe he genuinely hates him for Ravens life choices. His feud with Joe in 04 is a great athletic feud and told a great story from match match, sprinkling in things from each match before to keep them interesting. The first Summer of Punk was such a great troll job in the end and things like signing his WWE contract on the title are little landmark moments that I'll never forget. Hes got the feud with Hero from Iwa midsouth that is a very fun stretch of matches to watch with Punk coming off as the bully to a very likeable Hero. Once Punk came into the WWE I had all but given up hope on not only the product but the fact that they would do anything with him. He was solid at best in ECW and definitely wasn't used to his potential. He could've been the main event heel for that brand and instead was used as a guy with a muay Thai ripoff gimmick. Once he started getting a little more mic time is when I turned the corner on thinking he could make the baby face thing work in wwe. He got massive cheers at Survivor Series over guys like Triple H which I'm sure didn't do him any favors politically but he over came that. He exploded in 2008/09 with three heel turn. His feud with Jeff Hardy was a call back to the Raven feud which let me know Punk was going to be ok. He has the match at Summer slam as well as the loser leaves town cage match that were two of his first standout matches in the wwe. He also has the great run in the Straight Edge Society feuding with Rey and eventually getting his head shaved. Wearing the mask is great old school shtick as he was so embarrassed for getting his comeuppance that he had to cover up his head. He had a pretty stale run as leader of the Nexus but shook up the wrestling world with the pipe bomb promo. One of those moments that you remember where you were and just had you at the edge of your seat. Very hard to accomplish to me in this current scene. The initial match and moment against Cena in Chicago is something that felt like it didn't belong in this era, it felt like a change was coming and the business would be somewhat revolutionized but yea that didn't get the proper follow up which probably started the build of his frustrations. He has one of the best Raw matches of all time against Cena and to add to that I think he was Cenas best opponent of all time and it's a travesty that we didn't get a Mania main event between the two. His feud and match against Lesnar at Summerslam was brutal and one of my favorite matches of the past ten years. Unfortunately, for now at least his career is over and I can only imagine the additions he could've made to it. All and all I respect the hell out of the guy for standing up to the "machine" and following what he believes in. He's a guy that I find very hard to be objective on and could've ranked him higher, I know a lot of people are down on him but the attachment I've grown to have makes it hard for me to be anything but subjective. If he was from Cleveland who knows if I wouldve given two shits so early in his career.

Holy shit ! Harley Race doing George Brassens ! Awesome !

brassens11.jpg

I actually forgot to vote for Harley. Never got the backlash, especially the "Harley Race is the Kurt Angle of the 70's", which seems really exagerated. Yeah, Harley was a go-go-go worker. So what ? So was Flair. His matches with Baba are terrific. Damn ! I just forgot. There's another one coming actually.

I don't remember the matches but I remember the feud was pretty bad with stuff about Punk's sister and whatnot.

Their matches are underrated the feud had some trash but it also had some bright spots Punk pretending to be drunk to trick Jericho in the ring stands out as really well done Bugs Bunny type stuff I must be fair though as I think that in all 7 Mania Punk was in he always had at least the second best match including the match with Jericho being the match of the night to me. Their street fight at the next PPV was even better you think dad-bod tinder profile Jericho is bad now remember he was in a street fight wearing designer jeans with rhinestones on the ass-flaps

I have to say that all women competitors being exalted by #49 is pretty disappointing. I am not trying to make this into a social justice list but that does seem striking to me.

You are right, it is striking, and probably not quite right.

I personally didn't help by not voting for any women. I decided early in the process that I couldn't because I'm just not familiar enough with the style. I have tried watching Joshi several times, and although I've been impressed by the work, I've always found watching women beating each other in that manner a bit unsettling. For that reason I've just never stuck with it.

I wonder how many people feel the same way as me, that they recognised that some women 'should' be on their list just didn't feel they had enough knowledge of the genre to rate them fairly.