Pro Wrestling Only

Flair vs Funk: Who is the greatest?

Grimmas

I could see having Funk higher if we had a good accounting of his NWA title run. But based on what we have, I voted Flair higher and easily. Terry's highs in the late '70s and '80s were remarkable and demonstrated remarkable range. But a lot of those years are thin on volume. And I'm just not a big enough fan of old man Terry for his '90s work to negate Flair's mass of peak quality.

Funk was way more versatile and managed to keep changing to keep himself relevant in lots of different places in lots of different eras.

I don't see any way Flair could have gone to ECW and had the same kind of run that Funk managed to have there. Flair didn't even do that great of a job at adapting to WWF in his first run and that didn't require nearly as much of a change.

I'm kind of surprised Flair only missed three ballots and that three ballots didn't have Terry Funk. I mean we've seen folks share their issues with Flair but I don't remember anyone ever doing that with Funk aside from the context of him being the GOAT.

I was going to predict a Broadway where Grimmas reveals the result at 12:00 Midnight tomorrow while we all get overly anxious as anticipation and drama mounts over the course of the day.... but if one of them won easily, I think it probably has to be Flair.

I think Flair is better at being "The Nature Boy" than any other wrestler is at portraying a singular character, but Funk is so much more versatile that I have to give him the edge.

Flair will be number one. That is fine. I had both in the top 10. Funk was my number 2.

The same top two as my ballot (in fact I had the top four the same) and I predict it Flair over Funk the reason to me and this is in some ways arbitrary but, when you are comparing two men that really are equals in greatness it comes down to arbitrary differences, Funk lives wrestling while Flair couldn't live without wrestling.

I believe Funk is better, but I also think Flair will win. The winner won easily as Steven revealed early on. I just can't see Terry winning easily.

Yeah. Before Bryan's placement was revealed, I had a little ray of hope that he could have ended up #1 by virtue of being the only guy (at one point) who was on all ballots. If it's down to Flair and Funk with those numbers, I would be stunned if Flair didn't end up at the top.

Funk was my number one, though.

Thanks to those who can state their pick without insulting the other guy. While I do think GWE would have benefitted from more direct comparisons, doing so also does unfortunately lead to people thinking this is all a zero sum game.

It's a valid point that the idea of Funk as a viable headliner in late 90s WCW is preposterous, sure, but I don't see the point in making things like that the focal point. Both guys are awesome, flaws be damned.