• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Luchaundead

Luchaundead

Max Landis approved chant-police

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

The same top two as my ballot (in fact I had the top four the same) and I predict it Flair over Funk the reason to me and this is in some ways arbitrary but, when you are comparing two men that really are equals in greatness it comes down to arbitrary differences, Funk lives wrestling while Flair couldn't live without wrestling.

#22 The Man in Blak

The Man in Blak
  • Members
  • 348 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:04 PM

I believe Funk is better, but I also think Flair will win.  The winner won easily as Steven revealed early on.  I just can't see Terry winning easily.

Yeah. Before Bryan's placement was revealed, I had a little ray of hope that he could have ended up #1 by virtue of being the only guy (at one point) who was on all ballots. If it's down to Flair and Funk with those numbers, I would be stunned if Flair didn't end up at the top.

Funk was my number one, though.

#23 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:13 PM

Thanks to those who can state their pick without insulting the other guy. While I do think GWE would have benefitted from more direct comparisons, doing so also does unfortunately lead to people thinking this is all a zero sum game.

It's a valid point that the idea of Funk as a viable headliner in late 90s WCW is preposterous, sure, but I don't see the point in making things like that the focal point. Both guys are awesome, flaws be damned.

#24 Childs

Childs
  • Moderators
  • 4437 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

I'm interested to hear from all those saying Funk was better: How important was Terry's '90s work to you in framing his case?

#25 goodhelmet

goodhelmet
  • Admins
  • 18952 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:27 PM

I don't think either is the GOAT. With that said, I had Flair in the Top Ten. I had Funk in the Top 25. 

#26 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:32 PM

The Terry Funk case has always made a lot of sense to me, and I think it's a strong one. If you watch a show that has him on it, you're guaranteed to have gotten something worth watching. It doesn't matter the time or the place. He doesn't waste your time. Ever. And it's hard to dispute that.

#27 Cross Face Chicken Wing

Cross Face Chicken Wing
  • Members
  • 1197 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

Small sample size, but the people who have responded to this thread so far have voted Funk over Flair by a 3:1 margin, yet all are predicting a win for Flair.

Interesting.

#28 Matt D

Matt D

4:40

• Members
  • 10258 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:36 PM

I may have had a slight recency bias for Terry because of all of the "Our Friend In Japan" matches that popped up during the course of the bias. For 90s work, it's dumb but i really kind of love the NWF we have with him. 

#29 victory

victory
  • Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:40 PM

I think Funk. He was more versatile to me than Flair and better at those different roles.

It was a tough decision when trying to decide over these two. It was basically Funks early 80 AJPW years that gave him the nod. He kind of had a Rocky type of vibe during that period. I love Flair and had him at 2, I just never really liked him as a face. His character was made to be a heel not the other way around. Where Funk could be anything and you believed it.

#30 Loss

Loss
  • Admins
  • 43472 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:48 PM

I tweeted this just now but should also say it in the thread.

I apologize for laying on the Positivity Police thing a little too thick. I'm doing it about 1/10th as much as I want to, believe me. I just want this whole thing to feel like a celebration of wrestling and a project of love. But I've made that point and will stop helicoptering.

#31 concrete1992

concrete1992

Sammy D

• Members
  • 796 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:53 PM

I apologize for laying on the Positivity Police thing a little too thick. I'm doing it about 1/10th as much as I want to, believe me. I just want this whole thing to feel like a celebration of wrestling and a project of love. But I've made that point and will stop helicoptering.

It would be better if we weren't celebrating WRESTLING which is objectively bad. 

#32 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7421 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:01 PM

It would be better if we weren't celebrating WRESTLING which is objectively bad. 

Truly. How could anyone enjoy something that celebrates violence as the only solution to problems? 

#33 jpchicago23

jpchicago23
  • Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:15 PM

I consider this project a total victory for the fact the Funk has a solid shot at number one and is at worst number 2 to Flair. Flair will be the guy that people would most likely default to whereas Funk most likely earned his top 10 votes from people. Had I done this list in 06 just off thought alone Flair would've killed Funk. After being on this board for 5 years and being exposed to a lot more wrestling, I have to see them as neck and neck. I rated Funk higher but can see Flair winning

#34 Karl

Karl
  • Members
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:23 PM

I would go with Flair as #1 - but over 40 years of wrestling, taking into account how many workers there have been, to be considered in the top 100, let alone #1 or #2 is pretty special. 

Funk will always have a very special place with me, but Flair had it all. But if Funk comes out on top, I wont be able to argue, because the man is so damn good and such a legend...Im just glad we got to see both. 

#35 ElHijodeGorgeousGeorge

ElHijodeGorgeousGeorge
  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:58 PM

I'm beating a dead horse but I feel like Funk was so much more entertaining than Flair and that's actually a compliment to Flair. To me there's no one in the history of wrestling as memorable as Terry Funk regardless of what era you've seen of him. I love Flair for his peak, because it is safe to say Flair's peak is the greatest in the history of wrestling but there's just so much garbage from old Flair that it taints my view on him quite a bit. Whereas in the Funk case, even his most recent stuff makes me smile and sometimes even mark the fuck out. To me it is simple: name me someone that evolved as well as Funk did through the years? To me that is his biggest positive.

#36 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:02 PM

I had Funk #1 and Flair #2 on my ballot as it seems a lot of us did.  I'm happy either way.

#37 TravJ1979

TravJ1979
  • Members
  • 1309 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:11 PM

Unless my math is off, I think there are 54 #1 votes still up for grabs between Flair and Funk.  Lowest case scenario for each would be 27 #1 votes.  That is still 16 more than Misawa and Hansen received.

#38 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10173 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:19 PM

I'm at work, and will write more later.  But I think the watchability/failure to disappoint/always entertaining aspect of Funk's career that Loss spoke to is a huge positive for him.  However I don't think it's his biggest positive.

I would argue that Funk's single biggest positive is that if you held a gun to my head and said "who is the greatest babyface of all time?" I would say Terry Funk.  And if you held a gun to my head and said "who is the greatest heel of all time?" I would say Terry Funk. The only other two wrestlers who I think you could conceivably say that about are Flair and Lawler, but there are reasons that I would rate Funk above them both in each respective category.  

I also think the uniqueness of Funk as a babyface in All Japan (which came about largely as a result of his effectiveness selling), and the fact that he is probably as responsible for the existence of what is now indie wrestling as any single person in history are positives that rival the significance of what Loss mentioned.  

#39 BlueGuy

BlueGuy
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:31 PM

As much as I love Terry Funk and am thrilled to see him get a top 5 ranking, he doesn't come close to matching Flair in my eyes. When I think of my favorite Funk matches, the first two that come to mind are Bash 1989 and Clash New York Knockout versus Flair. Both of them are all-time classics and neither of them are my favorite Flair match. Needless to say, on that fact alone (and more), I'd have to pick Flair.

#40 Jmare007

Jmare007
  • Members
  • 1198 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:33 PM

The Terry Funk case has always made a lot of sense to me, and I think it's a strong one. If you watch a show that has him on it, you're guaranteed to have gotten something worth watching. It doesn't matter the time or the place. He doesn't waste your time. Ever. And it's hard to dispute that.

Absolutely this. That's why I had Funk at 2, even to this day if I find footage of him I end up being entertained.

I had Flair at 3 so it's not like I think there's a big difference between them but in 2016 I just value Funk's versatility a little bit more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users