#21 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

Seems like fun

MOST CONSISTENT

1. Kiyoshi Tamura - Match for Match, the best ever

2. Buddy Rose - Regardless of opponent or length of match, always did something fun and exciting to make every match compelling.

3. Rey Mysterio Jr. - His style and approach works against basically everyone and always produces good matches

HIGHEST PEAK

1. Akira Hokuto - When it came to epic storytelling and drama, she was unmatched

2. El Satanico - Mastered every aspect of pro wrestling to have amazing, different matches with whoever he faced

3. El Dandy - Versatility, nuff said

4. Mitsuharu Misawa - Height of his powers ace Misawa was a sight to behold

BEST ALL ROUND WORKER

1. Tatsumi Fujinami - Could have a good to great match with anyone in any style.

2. El Dandy - Brawl, matwork, high fly, high impact stuff he could do it all. Could also play different variations of rudo and technico.

3. Terry Funk - Range from lovable babyface to sadistic psycho and everything in between. Could do technical, brawls, hardcore etc.

#22 WingedEagle

WingedEagle
  • Members
  • 5140 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 07:51 PM

What are we calling peak Hokuto outside of 4/2/93?  I don't mean that as any kind of a dig because I'm a big Hokuto fan in many situations.  But what matches are we putting in that ballpark?  I need to rewatch the '94 tag because the last time I saw it I thought it was good.  Just good.  Way too many people praised it was being so much greater that it deserves another chance, but I'm curious what performances are held in the same regard as the Kandori match, or even the vicinity.

#23 Microstatistics

Microstatistics
  • Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

What are we calling peak Hokuto outside of 4/2/93?  I don't mean that as any kind of a dig because I'm a big Hokuto fan in many situations.  But what matches are we putting in that ballpark?  I need to rewatch the '94 tag because the last time I saw it I thought it was good.  Just good.  Way too many people praised it was being so much greater that it deserves another chance, but I'm curious what performances are held in the same regard as the Kandori match, or even the vicinity.

Basically all of her 1993 singles stuff against different opponents, the Kandori feud and Queendom, and the 8/94 elimination tag.

Queendom and 8/94 tags are among the most ambitious matches ever and she is the driving force for them successfully reaching that top tier GOAT level, IMO.

BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT

1. Stan Hansen - Great in the 90s, but his 80s All Japan and some of his AWA stuff was infuriating. One dimensional, bad selling, bad transitions and often dragged down matches to be honest.

2. Toshiaki Kawada - Incredible 1994-95 that was enough for top half finish for me but don't think he is that great outside of that period.

3. Jaguar Yokota - I ranked her well, but I don't think she is as good as her contemporaries

MOST UNDERRATED

1. Alexander Otsuka - One of the most skilled wrestlers I have ever seen. Could incorporate anything into his matches organically, and also a brilliant seller.

2. Black Terry - Someone I ranked way too low. Amazing wrestler who can brawl and work on the mat, play face or heel. Gives a great performance in every match he is placed in.

3. Naoki Sano - Had great matches in a variety of styles over a long period of time.

BIGGEST SURPRISE/DISCOVERY

1. Jerry Lawler - Someone whose work has completely changed my perception of old school US territory wrestling. His simple minimalist approach works perfectly and he can have a good match with basically anyone.

2. Nick Bockwinkel - Someone I had heard a lot about but hadn't watched much of. His AWA work is out of this world great and he showed tremendous range. His work in Japan is pretty disappointing but his overall greatness is pretty evident

3. Shigeo Miyato - Some random shoot style guy I had never heard of who blew me away with incredible performances between 1988-90 and some after that.

#24 elliott

elliott
  • Members
  • 1328 posts

Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:06 PM

I think the Queendom tag is one of the 3 best matches ever and the best match that doesn't involve Sangre Chicana. I would identify  DreamRush 11/92 - Queendom 2/94 as her peak run. But I think she was terrific before and after.

If I could only have one of her matches I pick Queendom over Dreamslam 100 times out of 100.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users