Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestling Culture: Greatest Wrestler Ever Reaction show

Ive been reading back. The moment, in my view, where people went from jokingly upset to actually frustrated, was when Negro Casas hit. (Though there were moments when the biggest shootstyle worker, female, or WoS guy hit too).

It definitely bubbled over there, but I think frustrations were already simmering before that, even before the reveal of the final tally started. There had been so much dismissive and prescriptive judgment thrown around about people's criteria near the end of the process; once we made it to the reveal -- and the room for discussion about what the list could be began to disintegrate -- I think it was difficult to not draw conclusions.

I see it as an equality thing. Who am I to say that lucha and joshi, despite not really being that into them, are somehow lesser forms of pro wrestling and that the wrestlers who excel at them are somehow inferior to the people who do well at the styles I like? Even worse I could not include them at all and act like they don't exist. This is just my own criteria, not something I would apply to others. But for me I would have to treat all wrestling as "wrestling" and try to judge somebody like Santo or Breaks or Aja Kong on the same level I was judging their peers within their style. Otherwise I would be putting a very heavy bias towards the wrestling I watched into my list.

But all styles aren't created equal. The fact that joshi and shoot style are basically dead, and lucha has no currency outside of Mexico, indicates that they are inferior styles, at least on a certain level.

I see it as an equality thing. Who am I to say that lucha and joshi, despite not really being that into them, are somehow lesser forms of pro wrestling and that the wrestlers who excel at them are somehow inferior to the people who do well at the styles I like? Even worse I could not include them at all and act like they don't exist. This is just my own criteria, not something I would apply to others. But for me I would have to treat all wrestling as "wrestling" and try to judge somebody like Santo or Breaks or Aja Kong on the same level I was judging their peers within their style. Otherwise I would be putting a very heavy bias towards the wrestling I watched into my list.

But all styles aren't created equal. The fact that joshi and shoot style are basically dead, and lucha has no currency outside of Mexico, indicates that they are inferior styles, at least on a certain level.

I had a similar reaction to most members when the list came out. Some stuff I could understand and other stuff I was pissed/confused about. All wrestling is not equal from a popularity/money standpoint but, its comparable to some degree and that's maybe the issue.

The results were skewed because the criteria for review & the minimum material to be viewed needed to be standardized. Also the sampling pool was skewed as I gathered from the results. And really that pool was skewed only because a lack of resources and certainly not the efforts of those running it. GWE was university dissertation in wrestling level stuff. Probably beyond that to be honest...I'm sorry to see that it burned a good chunk of the PWO pillars out :(

If its any consolation in 2018, the post GWE discussion will be as or more useful for new fans as the actual lead in or results.