Pro Wrestling Only

Midwest Indies

ThomasFromIowa

What a pleasant surprise!

Visit here for the first time in a few weeks and see a theard not only about my area of the world, but mentioning me and places I announce at (Midnight Guthrie).

I'm 99% sure I know who you are, Thomas - you're good people!

You're right - lots of great shows across Midwest in June and July. Real neat cards this summer.

I'll be at Wrestlepalooza Friday night in Des Moines, just as a fan. Really excellent crop of wrestlers lined up - hope some of the sight lines are improved. Talking to Cannon, I believe overall visibility will be better, which should really help any mat wrestling and pins/submissions. Some names I even haven't seen live, so that's exciting.

I unfortunately won't be announcing at IPW in Des Moines Saturday night. I was elected as a delegate to the State Democratic Convention, which is happening at the same time across the street at Hy-Vee Hall. The FCA Ladder Royal is lots of fun, a hell of a spectacle live. Here's last year's - only a hard cam shot, which does not compare at all for this vs. live experience. It is a gimmick match perfectly built for a smaller Indy show in a wide open venue. https://youtu.be/M2bkplKU5ZQ

I will be at the Hall-of-Fame festivities in July - should be the best wrestling weekend of the year! - and announcing all 12 one-hour shows over 4 days of the Madison County Fair in Winterset. IPW has quite a few fair shows all over the state this summer. Some middle-western Nebraska shows, too.

All the nonsense in Omaha is just never-ending and endlessly silly.

So, I didn't want to write this post, but I feel I kind of have to as a warning. AAW has excellent shows. They bring in big name indy talent, and have great matches. Their new venue is pretty great and spacious.

One of their major issues, however, is their hardcore fan base. I'm not saying all of them, but there is a small but very vocal crowd that attends AAW shows and gets obnoxiously drunk and screams the entire night trying to get themselves over. I was in their section at the last show, and everyone in that section was hating them. They got into a number of verbal confrontations with fans. During the main event, they started yelling homophobic slurs at the wrestlers. I got up and left the section, but my friends who I went with (one of whom is bi-sexual) stayed and confronted them about their language.

We've contacted AAW about their behavior and haven't heard a response yet. Until I hear something from an AAW representative (We've contacted them on Facebook and Twitter), I won't be attending another one of their shows. I'm just posting this as a warning.

I've been to countless wrestling shows over 30 years, including many indies in the Chicago area over the last 10. I can say I've never heard language like this used at any other wrestling show in the last decade, or tolerated.

What section was that in if you don't mind me asking? I was there and didn't hear anything like that where I was at. I did leave with my wife before the last match, not sure if it was during that time. That really sucks that you had to endure that during a show. Indy shows in general do seem to attract some assholes though. Being in a bar I guess doesn't help.

Edit - I just reread your post and saw that it was during that Main Event. That's why I didn't hear it. I did think their security kind of sucked. Hopefully they will reply to you.

We were in row 2 in the seats that were in the 40s. If you go off directly the ramp and stage, we were off to the left. I don't have access to my tickets right now to get the exact section.

Thank you for your comments. I appreciate them. I really don't want to turn this into a bashing of AAW thread, but these dudes are out of hand. Of the 4-5 AAW shows I've been to (I lose track), I've been seated by them twice. I've seen them: Yell profanities at little kids, Tell a Hispanic family cheering luchadores "To go back home," and then yell homophobic slurs.

Again, I've been at indy shows in and around Chicago for 10 years, and some of those were in venues that served alcohol. Actually, the only place that didn't serve alcohol was Chicago Ridge that ROH runs. I've never heard language like that used at a indy show.

Okay. We we're more in the middle. That type of language is just ridiculous especially with an all ages show. Fortunately I didn't hear anything like that. Hopefully they put a stop to it as they do have a nice product. Maybe with you making them aware of it they will keep an eye out for it. Wrestling wise I would say it's one of the better Indys with good production.

• 1 month later...

The Thesz/Tragos Hall of Fame inductions took place this weekend at Waterloo, IA. As part of the weekend's festivities, IPW ran their annual HOF show. A feature match was Ricochet vs. Sami Callihan. Here's the footage, with the board's own CodySave and Hollinger on commentary:

Another great weekend of wrestling in Iowa!

The hall of fame show was really fun. I was unable to attend the rest of the hall of fame activities due to work, but the show was dang good. Another match to look for when (if) Midnight throws more on YouTube is the Legend Killers vs Zero Gravity match. It was just a really solid tag match between two of the better teams in the midwest. Also, Bob Backlund's interview with Midnight Guthrie was truly something special for the live audience.

I'm intrigued by this weekend's Metro Pro card in Kansas City. The Vic Capri vs Ace Steel match is something I really want to see. Also, they have a hoss fight with Kevin Lee Davidson vs Redwing which will be awesome too. This card is as good as anything I've seen Metro Pro put out so I'll be eager to hear how it goes.

For other shows that have got me hyped, Dreamwave is running Bucky Collins vs Little Guido which is like a full on dream match for me. These two are good enough to have me transitioning from the edge of my seat to howling with laughter so I'm just ready to see it next weekend. Dreamwave is also running Prince Ali vs AR Fox. Ali's last number of outings at Dreamwave have all been matches that have been dramatic and sucked me in. Usually during Fox's matches I'm just entertained, but not quite involved with the match like I am when Ali wrestles. I'm interested to see if Ali can bridge the gap with Fox and bring me home as pleased as I've been after his matches with Cage, Rose, and the ladder match. Also, I'm excited for the SCW anniversary show. Not as excited, but still excited. The Connor Braxton vs Shane Hollister match should do really well as both are the most over heel/face in walcott and really good in those roles. I'm also pumped for the return of Funky Munky Wrestling (head to twitter and check out the poster for Return of the Judi as it is something special), which is my favorite promotion. Its not their upcoming show that has my eye, but the Bucky Collins vs Matt Cage ladder match in September. If you haven't seen them, check out the Bucky vs Cage matches on Funky Munky's Youtube. They are as good of matches as you'll find on the indie level in the midwest. These guys just don't disappoint and now they will be following up those matches with a ladder match. I'm beyond pumped.

• 4 weeks later...

Any word on how good current IWA Mid-South and AIW out of Cleveland are?

I'm kind of considering going to either the TPI or the Double Dare tag tournament for AIW - both taking place the same weekend in early November. Any good recommendations on recent stuff that would catch me up to speed with these promotions?

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on how good current IWA Mid-South and AIW out of Cleveland are?

I'm kind of considering going to either the TPI or the Double Dare tag tournament for AIW - both taking place the same weekend in early November. Any good recommendations on recent stuff that would catch me up to speed with these promotions?

AIW has won me over this year. Part of it is their podcast, which is a great marketing tool (and a great listen), but they've put out some great stuff this year. They brought in Flamita and he was outstanding, and Absolution, their biggest show of the year, was very entertaining. Both the lucha six-man and Lyndon vs. ZSJ are worth seeing. I've heard their show from last week is the best one they've had this year and that Irie vs. Eddie Kingston is worth going out of your way to see.

Simply the Best 10 (IWA-MS) had two great matches and they have a show coming out soon with the first ever Kongo Kong vs. Michael Elgin match and Irie vs. Matt Tremont. They are a fun promotion filled with lots of young, hard working guys. I'd watch more IWA-MS if they lowered the prices of some of their shows. I just can't spend 12 bucks on a show where half of them are students, no matter how hard they work.