Southern Indie Thread

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic

#21 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10486 posts

Posted 14 June 2016 - 05:50 AM

CWF and PWX really are great stuff and offer different vibes which is amazing considering their close proximity to each other. 

#22 Laney

Laney
  • Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 19 June 2016 - 03:26 PM

CWF shows are a 2 hour drive from where I live, and it is well worth the trip every time I've gone.  I highly recommend going to a show if you are within driving distance.  I love the atmosphere with the crowd.  It is mostly regulars that sit in the same seat every show, boo the heels, cheer the faces, and always call the wrestler's by their first name when they cheer.  

The Absolute Justice show last night was fantastic.  Andrew Everett vs Trevor Lee is worth checking out once it hits Worldwide in about 3 weeks.

#23 AstroBoy

AstroBoy
  • Members
  • 422 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:12 PM

Scenic City Invitational was completely awesome.  As a two-day event it might be my show of the year.  At least five matches were at the very good to great level with a couple others slightly behind.  And outside of one misfire, there was nothing less than solid the whole weekend.  Everybody should check it out when it's available.  And apparently the Jimmy Rave vs. John Skyler first round match is going up for free tomorrow as a teaser.

#24 Troy

Troy
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 August 2016 - 08:38 PM

SCI was fucking awesome

#25 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7437 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Finally jumped on the CWF Mid-Atlantic bandwagon after someone got me to watch the Trevor Lee vs. Rob McBride match that I thought was really good. Watched the first part of Battlecade this morning and really enjoyed that as well. Looking forward to part 2 going up on Wednesday night.

Very good commentary, a good lively crowd (non-smarky/chant happy) and some of the best production values I've seen in indie wrestling quite possible THE best. Like I have no idea how or why CWF Mid-Atlantic has better production values for it's youtube show than ROH did for a long time after it first started on Sinclair Broadcasting (although it looks like they've finally gotten a lot better in the regard now)

#26 Troy

Troy
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

I was happy with it.

Wildside's having a One Night Only show in March or April.

#27 Sean Liska

Sean Liska
  • Members
  • 1210 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 05:39 PM

How have I not watched CWF until now? That's some great stuff, I didn't know wrestling like that still existed. Whoever is behind it has a great mind for the business.

#28 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 07:05 AM

Thinking of trying to get to my first CWF show on the 21st.  I am not 100% sure I will be able to make it, but I hope so.

#29 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:54 PM

Finally jumped on the CWF Mid-Atlantic bandwagon after someone got me to watch the Trevor Lee vs. Rob McBride match that I thought was really good. Watched the first part of Battlecade this morning and really enjoyed that as well. Looking forward to part 2 going up on Wednesday night.

Very good commentary, a good lively crowd (non-smarky/chant happy) and some of the best production values I've seen in indie wrestling quite possible THE best. Like I have no idea how or why CWF Mid-Atlantic has better production values for it's youtube show than ROH did for a long time after it first started on Sinclair Broadcasting (although it looks like they've finally gotten a lot better in the regard now)

Checking it out now.

Dirty Daddy is really bad.

#30 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 12:56 PM

Do CWF shows sell out? It isn't the end of the world for me to get my ticket in advance, but I am probably going to wait till the day of to see if the weather is good enough to come off the mountain without much hassle. Would I be ok to get my ticket at the door or should I just get one in advance to be safe.

#31 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7437 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:01 PM

Checking it out now.

Dirty Daddy is really bad.

It's a bit of a mixed bag because it's a promotion that's attached to a wrestling school so you're going to get some guys who are still unpolished and learning. I thought that first match was the worst of the 4 that were on that show but not awful or anything, just an average match with a few execution/selling issues. I have not watched a lot of CWF yet but it seems like something you're not going to be throwing ****+ at for a whole lot of matches but is more about the presentation of characters & stories with good production and the occasional really high end main event/title match.

#32 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9122 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

It's essentially a territory. It has an old school vibe to it. Like Goc said story telling with payoffs . The underneath workers all are apt at building a story with sound psychology . It's my favorite promotion going today. The booking and announcing are what it's best at. They're making happen on a shoestring budget. Lee is the Ace who elevates all the workers he wrestles. Though everyone has a distinct personality.

#33 rzombie1988

rzombie1988
  • Banned
  • 953 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

I reviewed CWF Mid-Atlantic #86 here:

http://prowresblog.b...-86-142017.html

Overall thoughts: The show was fun overall. The matches were a bit too quick but on the other hand didn't have enough time to be bad or get stale. Maybe that's the key? The crowd was pretty hot all show and the main event was a solid match. You don't really need to see anything but the main here but in all it was a fun hour of pro wrestling with a hot crowd, people who mostly look like pro wrestlers and solid commentary.

Some shots from the show:

i.gif

1-10-2017%2B2-21-50%2BPM.png

#34 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9122 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:28 PM

Do CWF shows sell out? It isn't the end of the world for me to get my ticket in advance, but I am probably going to wait till the day of to see if the weather is good enough to come off the mountain without much hassle. Would I be ok to get my ticket at the door or should I just get one in advance to be safe.

It's a small building so take that as u will.

#35 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10486 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 02:39 PM

I would say with the Hardy factor, this one will be close to selling out in advance. 

#36 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

I would say with the Hardy factor, this one will be close to selling out in advance. 

Are the Hardys on the 21st card? I know they are there on the 29th.

#37 soup23

soup23
  • Moderators
  • 10486 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:27 PM

Are the Hardys on the 21st card? I know they are there on the 29th.

You are right, I would think you are probably ok waiting until day of then but it is tough  to say since they just had their biggest house and you can't really get a gauge of the retention rate from that. 

#38 CapitalTTruth

CapitalTTruth
  • Members
  • 886 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:30 PM

Ehhh.... I'll probably just buy a ticket. Worst case I donate $10 to an indy promotion.

#39 Dylan Waco

Dylan Waco
  • Moderators
  • 10189 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 05:52 PM

I love Dirty Daddy and thought the first match was basically perfect for what it was. Maybe I'm just co-opted.

#40 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9122 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 06:13 PM

I loved the 1st match, again I've been watching the show for the last 6 months so I was invested . Cain Justice is to me a possibly future Andy Dalton, Cory Hollis type heel. He has good heel instincts .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)