Pro Wrestling Only

[1986-01-28-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu

Microstatistics

One of the best tag matches of the decade. Just non-stop action with intensity, violence, blood, psychology and selling. Incredible amount of hate too. My favorite spot is where Jumbo is seconds away from being beaten but Tenryu is more concerned with beating the fuck out of Choshu at ringside than saving the match. **** 1/2

• 7 months later...

This feud is rapidly becoming one of my favorites. The hate and intensity is off the charts. Choshu & Yatsu seem more over (at least going by chants), and Jumbo & Tenryu are definitely heeling it up, which seems strange given that Choshu & Yatsu are the ones "invading" AJPW.

Yeah, this is great! I love when Jumbo slaps Yatsu, then basically throws him in the corner to tag Choshu. Choshu is great selling the beatdown as the FIP. I like how he continues to sell the ribs when he has Jumbo locked in the Sharpshooter. The entire match is really intense, but during the sequences where the action spills to the outside, it goes from 10 to 11.

• 1 year later...
This match is incredible and my favorite tag match of the decade. It has everything I love about professional wrestling, from great psychology and selling to the unruly nature of the match and the escalation of emotions and hostilities. Everyone plays their respective roles so well, to the point that grumpster Tenryu is more concerned about beating on an injured Choshu outside of the ring then what’s happening to his partner inside. Jumbo immediately goes after Choshu’s taped ribs and in one of the best moments of the match, he slaps Yatsu silly and throws him into his corner so he can tag Choshu back in. When Tenryu comes in, he’s double teamed at once -- actually, twice, taking an assisted piledriver. He’s able to put on the figure-four leglock but Choshu’s able to roll to his corner, where Yatsu flies in with a diving elbow drop to Tenryu while Tsuruta takes advantage and stomps at Choshu’s prone ribs. Tsuruta and Tenryu continue targeting Riki’s ribs with Jumbo tearing away some of the protective tape and putting him in the cobra twist. Chaos unfolds as backdrops are…well, dropped, brutal lariats are thrown, and a chair is used against the recovering Choshu. Tenryu continues attacking Choshu while Yatsu works away on Jumbo, busting him open on the ringpost before unloading his offensive arsenal, hitting a piledriver, a backdrop, and a backbreaker before poorly applying the sansori-gatame, which is broken up by Tenryu’s nasty lariat. Choshu is the thorn in Tenryu’s side during the finishing stretch, thwarting his pin attempts on Yatsu, and while Yatsu is able to hit a big German suplex hold for a nearfall, Tenryu at last puts him down with the powerbomb to win it.

• GSR changed the title to [1986-01-28-AJPW] Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu
  • 1 year later...

Choshu might not be the most interesting to watch from a workrate perspective, but he brings the goods in an intense and heated environment like this one. Yatsu is definately the weakest link here, but he at least scores some convincing nearfalls in the later part of the match. Jumbo is a top guy, but he's not quite reached ace levels yet. The story of this match is that he needs to rely on Tenryu to save him multiple times. Jumbo gets cut up badly here, and the crowd are rooting for him big time.

★★★★½

• 1 year later...

NWA International Tag Team Champions Jumbo Tsuruta & Genichiro Tenryu vs Riki Choshu & Yoshiaki Yatsu - AJPW 1/28/86

Frenetic Maelstrom of Kickass Pro Wrestling! I cant believe I have never seen this before. I could have sworn  had like 8 years ago and just never wrote a review but I definitely didnt watch his badassery. Excellent Interpromotional War! I loved how Jumbo & Choshu didnt bump or sell for shit earlier. Not every move needs to be sold as painful, have some pride, my dudes. I love how Choshu was trying to keep his injured ribs away from Jumbo. I love the disrespectful slap exchange between Jumbo & Yatsu. This is how an Interpromotional War should be booked with tons of pride and passion. I like how it is an overzealous Tenryu that caused the dynamic to shift and for finally someone to take heat. The one slightly unexpected aspect is that initially the invading Choshu feels like the sympathetic babyface as he is getting his ribs dissected and his Scorpion Deathlock feels like a massive babyface comeback spot. Then they flip the roles back to normal when Jumbo who had been Walking Tall all match has his head bashed into post and is bleeding. The crowd is losing their shit over all this. It is nonstop action in the best way possible as it is just four dudes trying to tear into each other. I knew this match was special coming into it so I wanted to watch it once without typing and those were the things that stuck out to me. So now I am going to rewatch and do stream of consciousness:

It has been twenty minutes since I watched this badass slice of pro wrestling and am excited to rewatch it. Choshu had been in the promotion for a year now but this is really what it has been building to. I didnt talk about Yatsu much in the preamble, but he was an excellent assassin in this match. He knows when to strike for maximal effect throughout the match. They waste no time and start out with the two heavy hitters Choshu & Jumbo. Choshu throws a toe kick to keep Jumbo away from his bandaged right side. Jumbo is caught off guard that he could not lock up. Jumbo throws one back and Choshu blocks. Jumbo tries again bit to no avail. Collar elbow tie up and Jumbo kicks the bandaged side and Choshu sells it as a close shave. Choshu single back heel trip and Choshu stomps and Jumbo right back up. Jumbo goes for his signature bodyslam but Choshu backs into Yatsu for the tag out. Just two bulls that didnt give an inch. Loved it. 

Yatsu goes for the snapmare and Jumbo fights it off. Jumbo is not giving them anything! I am here for it. Yatsu CRACKS Jumbo with a slap. Two more. Jumbo says you best be ready and he gets his receipt. It is on! Jumbo wants Choshu! Jumbo and Choshu go at it with slaps. Jumbo tags out. Tenryu chops Yatsu on the apron and Choshu drives him into the corner. Rookie mistake. I like how it is Tenryu that makes it. First double team goes to Choshu & Yatsu on Tenryu. Yatsu kneelift on tenryu and I love that is Tenryu as the first to get heat on him. Spike Piledriver on Tenryu. This is building so well. Choshu throwing haymkers at Tenryu and Tenryu gets in with a single leg pick up into a toehold then figure-4. Dont love the use of the Spike Piledriver if that is what was to follow. I think they are chanting for Choshu. Choshu rolls toward Yatsu hits an Excellent Top rope elbow on the prone Tenryu who sells it like a million bucks. Jumbo comes in and stomps Choshu on the injured side. It is getting chippier and chippier. Tenryu tags out. Jumbo does not hit his customary High Knee but opts for  two kneelifts that leaves Yatsu to powder. Yatsu dropkick gets him right back in it and the first time Jumbo bumped. Double suplex on Jumbo. They exchange shots, Jumbo body shots and High Knee and Choshu looks to be in peril. SAITO SUPLEX BY CHOSHU! He needed that, but Jumbo is up first and to quote Jesse The Body that has to be depressing as hell. It took too much out of Choshu. They slug it out with a double clothesline spot. Choshu is in a bad way and they double sledge him. Tenryu is in and is stomping away at Choshu. I love the gradualism of the Choshu heat segment. He was throwing Suplexes and Lariats to try to save himself but he was already in too deep. So good. Jumbo is proud of himself as he is stomping the ribs but the crowd is mixed. Tenryu suplex on Choshu. Jumbo kneelifted Choshu in the ribs and then tore off the bandage. Yatsu finally had enough and tries to take a wing at Jumbo but the ref holds him back. Tenryu gets involved. Jumbo abdominal stretch! He has his back to Yatsu. DOUBLE AXEHANDLE FROM THE TOP! Perfect transition! Love it!

It is all up to Yatsu! Dropkick! Saito Suplex! Tenryu goes crazy on Choshu as Jumbo is in trouble . Yatsu kneecrusher. Tenryu had peeled around the ring to attack a lying Choshu and then whipped him into the railing. Bounced a chair off him. Yatsu goes for the Spinning Toehold. Tenryu Saito Suplex on the prone Yatsu. Jumbo Death Lariatx2! Jumbo applies a Boston Crab as the JWP boys tape Choshu back up! Yatsu is in the ropes. The fight is on! Shit has exploded! Tenryu tagged in. Tenryu kneelift to Yatsu and slashing chops. As Choshu is crawling back up Tenryu attacks Choshu. Yatsu keeps Jumbo at bay and Choshu tags in. Choshu dropkick to a pop! Choshu single leg! SCORPION DEATHLOCK TO A MASSIVE POP! The girl in the fur coat losing her mind in the front row rules!

Choshu's ribs give out and he collapses and tags out to Yatsu which is an awesome way to end that hold. Jumbo walks tall and slings Yatsu into their corner. It does not look good for him. In what I believe is a first, the first time I have sene the Sling shot Suplex done by someone other than Tully Blanchard as Tenryu does it to Yatsu. Yatsu neckbreaker dorp on Jumbo. and YATSU BULLDOG ON JUMBO! He sends Jumbo out. Choshu bashed Jumbo's head into the post repeatedly drawing blood. It is a melee and Tenryu loses control and beats this shit out of Choshu using railings and chair. So begins the third act. 

Yatsu suplexes Jumbo back in and Yatsu goes crazy working the cut, piston punches to the open wound! Killer. Yatsu throws Jumbo out. They bash his head into the post again. Tenryu is in a blind rage towards Choshu. He beats him on the announce table. Yatsu piledrivers Jumbo and Jumbo had to kick out on his own because Tenryu is so obsessed with Choshu. Saito Suplex by Yatsu for two! Red hot shit. Yatsu punches the cut and Jumbo slaps but he cant follow it up. Yatsu Texas Cloverleaf is an odd choice in what has been a red hot series of kick ass wrestling. Yatsu backbreaker and then a Scorpion Deathlock ok thats more like it. Tenryu HITS AN OUT OF CONTORL LARIAT TO SAVE! Tenryu almost went careening out of the ring.  Choshu stomps the cut as the ref is trying control Tenryu and now the ref scrambles back to peel Choshu off Jumbo. Jumbo is firing up. He tags out. Tenryu Enziguiri. Choshu breaks it up. Tenryu enziguiri as Choshu and Jumbo fight on the floor. Yatsu German suplex! Huge pop! Crowd is going crazy! JWP boys are on the apron screaming that was three. Yatsu gets Hotshotted and Tenryu Enziguiri/powerbomb polishes him off to a big reaction. That was awesome! 

Loved how everything crescendoed. The early stuff was excellent, the Choshu heat segment, Yatsu as a one man gang, Jumbo getting bloody. When I think about it compared to my other tippy top matches, I dont think the finish is quite there for me, but that is a nitpick that you have to do when thinking in context of Top 100 matches. This rocked so hard! ****3/4