Pro Wrestling Only

WWE TV, May 23rd - May Something

fakeplastictrees

What a way to start off the week! Styles jobbing two nights in a row and disassociating himself from "The Club", Apollo Crews getting attacked by Sheamus and then jobbing out to Jericho of all people, Dolph Ziggler trying to convince the world that he is a shoot wrestler, and of course the Seth Rollins promo to start the show. This week hasn't started off too good.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the schadenfreude of those who weren't watching, what happened during the Rollins promo?

Rollins came out to a respectable if not overwhelming crowd reaction. It wasn't as loud or over the top as you might have expected for a guy who was gone as long as Rollins was, but then again, Rollins was not a fan favorite when he got injured. I guess some guys like The Undertaker and Chris Jericho are going to get a positive fan reaction when they return from an extended absence, regardless of their most recent alignment, based on long term fan loyalty. But maybe Rollins hasn't earned that level of respect yet.

Either way, he got a good reaction from the crowd. He played up to it for a good while, but then basically announced that he didn't care about the fans...that he had burned all of their get well cards and letters, that the fans didn't get him where he was, and that the reason he injured his leg was because of the weight of carrying the entire company on his back. He went on to make the obvious statement that since he never actually lost the World Championship, it should be his, etc. Reigns came out, and a confrontation ensued. In my opinion, Reigns got a mixed to slightly positive reaction when he came out to confront Rollins. The announcers played up the history between the two, focusing on Rollins betraying Reigns and Ambrose and breaking up The Shield.

To me, it was an obvious attempt to continue to get Roman Reigns over as the sympathetic figure. I assumed prior to last night that Rollins would return to a positive reaction and he would be viewed as the sympathetic figure and Reigns as the heel, since the fans already don't like him. I guess Vince either wants Reigns to be the face here, or is going to just let the story take it's course and the fans are going to cheer for whoever they want to. But Rollins made it very clear with his promo last night that he does not want the fans cheering him, which to me seemed to be an odd choice.

As a star returning after a long injury you automatically get a certain measure of goodwill from the fans, although your mileage may vary. Rollins flushed his last night, at least in that arena. He may have to insult the fans in each individual arena for a few weeks before the nostalgia wears off, I'm not sure. But they definitely don't want him being cheered, that much seems obvious if nothing else.

How awkward was it when Shane was talking about Stephanie and especially Triple H on the Mick Foley podcast...wow.

You aren't kidding! That was legit amazing to me. It's like Shane didn't even try to fake it. When the best thing he could come up with to say about Triple H was "well, he makes my sister happy" or that he loved his nieces? Damn. That was the worst job of trying to cover up not liking somebody that I have ever seen. That wasn't even good enough to qualify as "thinly veiled" hostility. Mick Foley was pretty much being a total sycophant last night, and even HE pretty much said he didn't believe that Shane didn't have an issue with Trips. Damn. I had no idea that it was that bad, I assumed the heat was between Shane and Vince or Shane and Steph. After seeing that interview, I came away thinking Shane's main beef seems to be with Trips.

The Rollins promo was the right call. They have way too many babyfaces, and no real heels at the top. That promo will be forgotten when the time comes to turn him.

It was straight out of the Mid Atlantic playbook, where Flair returned after the plane crash and they quickly reinforced him as a heel.

It was the right call, and Rollins executed it perfectly (and it was smart to have Reigns come out to confront him but not speak). Yet still Rollins will be cheered and Roman will be booed at the PPV.

Dave keeps saying "well they spent two years building the guy what to you expect to happen", to which it seems the logical answer is "knowing when to stop throwing good money after bad when something is obviously not working". Hell, Roman gives all signs of being a great heel so there's a pretty solid chance it would pay off great for them.

There's nothing wrong with being the next Cena, as in hated by the most vocal/hardcore fans and yet the top babyface to kids/casuals/families/women. They need someone to take the top spot from Cena and Reigns is going to be that guy. All that vocal Cena hate didn't do anything to stop him from being far and away the biggest money maker for WWE over the past decade and it's not going to stop Reigns.

Despite how many people want to say "No one likes him!" he's either the top 2 or 3 merchandise seller, gets positive reactions on house shows and while he isn't getting solidly positive reactions on TV now it's less solidly negative and trending more towards the split 50/50 Cena type reactions.

Seems pretty obvious Owens is winning the briefcase. Can't see them putting the title on him anytime soon. If he does it will probably be a deal where Reigns wins it right back. Hope I'm wrong but has been the case with the briefcase lately they will probably book themselves into a corner. Ie Sheamus last year

Anybody other than me was annoyed that Apollo Crews totally no-sold Sheamus' attack on him during his match against Chris Jericho last night? It's like it didn't happen! Why bother doing those if you're gonna completely ignore it in the end?

so at the SD tapings it looks like Rusev is being paired with

Titus. So the Cena feud looks like a no go. Have no idea what they do with Cena now. Either he'll be in the ladder match or maybe they make him AJ's partner against the Club. Miz is a way outside shot I guess

Eden has announced she is leaving WWE. Yeah this was inevitable

I'm sure it would have been fun times for her to stick around after Cody's goodbye letter was the written word equivalent of flipping the double bird on your way out of the office.

Seems pretty obvious Owens is winning the briefcase. Can't see them putting the title on him anytime soon. If he does it will probably be a deal where Reigns wins it right back. Hope I'm wrong but has been the case with the briefcase lately they will probably book themselves into a corner. Ie Sheamus last year

MITB is pretty much 'fail proof' at this point. All WWE has to do is NOT let Jericho win. That's it. The case can go to ANYONE ELSE and WWE would be okay. This is like the smallest and least amount of effort WWE has to put into something this year. Holy Fuck if Jericho wins!

Jericho's self-absorbed douchebag act is pretty fucking great. He's actively advertising and displaying himself as this pretentious, delusional, ultra-opinionated asshole.

Jericho is basically Brian Griffin brought to life and transplanted into a pro wrestling environment. I'd lose my shit if he showed up a'la Del Rio or JBL - driving a Toyota Prius to ringside, then shuffling out in his fashionable scarf & jeggings combo. Martini in one hand. Briefcase in the other.

There are far worse options out there. I could see Jericho holding the briefcase, stirring up animosity by way of teasing to cash it in at various shows. He could taunt babyface challengers & threaten to ruin their title shots via run-ins, etc.

Of course they could accomplish something similar with a guy like Owens - who would be capable of talking a strong game with the added benefit of being at every show. So there's that.

Isn't Jericho supposed to be wrapping up this run soon? Or has that changed now?