Pro Wrestling Only

[1982-07-09-Houston Wrestling] Dick Slater vs Mongolian Stomper

shoe

This was a weird match. I thought the 1st fall was rather dull. It had it's moments, but the finish set up the excitement for the rest of the match. Stomper goes over the 1st fall with the claw and it bloodys up Slater. The 2nd fall Stomper is attacking the cut. Now this is more like it. Slater though steals the fall. The 3 rd fall is tremendous and a wild double juice brawl. This was hate filled, and both guys were going after the cuts. Overall I'm not sure how I feel about this match.

I re watched this match and really missed the boat.

First fall

Stomper is using some basic heel stuff to get the crowd louder and louder. He kept grabbing his ears because the noise was hurting his ears. On top of that Carson was getting on the mic telling the crowd to keep it quiet. They were getting heat right off the bat. Eventually the physical work begins and it's Slater all over Stomper's arm. Slater's arm work is pretty violent. He even throws headbutts to the arm. Stomper is pretty great at eating all of the arm work. Eventually though Slater throws a couple of head butts to Stomper and this kind of stuns Slater. This allows Stomper to take control and his offense is very violent. Stomper is working over Slater's head. He's kicking it, smashing it into the ring post, and locks on a claw. This claw was about the most violent way to apply it. This looked like it could crush a baseball. In a really nice touch, Stomper releases the claw and smashes Slater's head into the ring post and puts the claw back on for the finish. Slater is busted open and bleeding big time.

Fall 2

Stomper is destroying the cut. Again with stomps, head smashes, knees, and the claw. Slater gets a great hope spot in only to get cut off by the Stomper. Slater though is able to sneak in a victory with a small package.

Fall 3

This is a brawl. In the ring out of the ring. Both guys are bloody as hell. This is totally out of control. The crowd is on it's feet. Carson is on the mic speaking Mongolian to the Stomper. Both guys are just beating the holy hell out of each other. Some of the other wrestlers are out and try to stop the Stomper to no avail. Man this was such a battle. 4*

I was excited to check this out when it showed up. Mongolian Stomper is a legendary figure who I really hadn't seen work in anything but TV matches and clips, here we get to see him in a long 2/3 falls title match, and it was pretty awesome stuff. 1st fall was a bit slow, with Stomper doing some stalling and covering his ears to make the crowd boo him, Slater controls with armbars and takedowns, until the Stomper escapes and starts stomping,and man did he have great looking stomps, he busts Slater open and puts on a nasty looking claw for the submission, second and third falls were pretty awesome with Slater bloody and brawling finally turning the tables and busting open the Stomper. Wild violent stuff which totally took the crowd along for a ride, really makes me want to see more of the Stomper.

• 1 year later...

Thanks to Matt D for sending me this match to watch in the Secret Santo thread.

That's a treat for me because a) I had never seen The Mongolian Stomper in action and B) I also had never seen Don Carson as a manager in action so that was quite a learning experience to me. I usually hate stalling in a match but in this occasion, I really loved it in the first stages of the first fall because Carson and Stomper did anything and everything you can do without getting too much on the crowd's nerves and taking their interest away from the match. The first fall is really slow with lots of mat work and I had to rewatch a second time before the start of the second fall because I missed where Slater got busted open the first time. Stomper gets more aggressive on the 2nd fall and works on Slater's cut right until Slater gets the momentum and picks up the win with the inside cradle. The 3rd fall was really fun as both men go all out, especially Stomper who doesn't wait for the end of the rest period to attack Slater. Slater going all out in this one and for the first time in the match, Don Carson gets involved physicall twice in the span of about a minute. Eventually, the 3rd fall ends in a DQ as some wrestler jumped on Stomper. I was confused a bit because I expected Stomper to get the 3rd fall by DQ but seems like the ref decided to DQ Stomper instead, maybe for Carson's interference.

Overall, I liked it a lot, especially since I hadn't seen a whole lot of Dick Slater's work as a babyface. Gonna interest me to watch even more of everyone involved in this one. *** 1/4 stars for this one.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1982-07-09-Houston Wrestling] Dick Slater vs Mongolian Stomper