Photo

Netflix creating a comedy series based on G.L.O.W.

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7420 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

http://variety.com/2...gue-1201785407/

Netflix has greenlit “G.L.O.W.,” a comedy series based on the 1980’s female wrestling league, which will be exec produced by Jenji KohanVariety has learned.

Founded in the mid-’80s, G.L.O.W. — which stands for Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling — was a popular professional wrestling troupe on a self-titled show that ran until 1990, and also toured for live shows.

I know there are some G.L.O.W. fans on the board so I figured this was worth creating a topic about. I'm interested in it even though I never cared about GLOW just because I think a comedy series about wrestling has a lot of potential. 

#2 Gutenberger

Gutenberger

The German

• Members
  • 238 posts
  • Interests:Pro Wrestling (obviously), Football (The european version),
    Reading, Video Games, TV-Series, Movies, Comicbooks. . .

Posted 31 May 2016 - 01:30 PM

I'm not familiar with G.L.O.W., and that means not at all. But I'm definitely gonna watch this. Not only becaus it's wrestling and I'm gonna watch it anyway, but also to see how the handle the subject.

I hop this is a good sign for things to come for wrestling and the general acceptance/sight on it.

#3 Scarlet-Left

Scarlet-Left
  • Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:14 PM

"So, what's the finish? You pin me, one-two-three?"

*Shenanigans ensue, twenty minutes later*

"What the hell was that? I was supposed to win that match!"

Edit: Script notes: "LOL, get it? Wrestling's fake!"

#4 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:30 PM

Kind of excited. GLOW was the first wrestling I ever saw. Love Netflix, love Orange is the new Black. 

#5 shoe

shoe
  • Moderators
  • 9099 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:22 PM

Kind of excited. GLOW was the first wrestling I ever saw. Love Netflix, love Orange is the new Black. 

That explains a lot.

#6 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:58 PM

That explains a lot.

I know, eh?

#7 Zenjo

Zenjo

Lost in Time

• Members
  • 2142 posts

Posted 04 June 2016 - 10:20 PM

I highly doubt it'll ever make the air. Pro wrestling pokes fun at itself so much as it is. And WWE has employed Hollywood Screen Writers for years so it will just be the same jokes.

#8 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:15 AM

I highly doubt it'll ever make the air. Pro wrestling pokes fun at itself so much as it is. And WWE has employed Hollywood Screen Writers for years so it will just be the same jokes.

Has Netflix ever announced a show that never made it?

#9 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 05 June 2016 - 05:33 AM

Couldn't care less about GLOW and a Netflix comed... wait ? Did you say it was produced by Jenji Kohan ? Ok, haven't seen Orange is the New Black, but I was a huge Weeds fan. So yeah, this gets my immediate interest.

#10 ButchReedMark

ButchReedMark

#TogetherStronger

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 06:47 PM

Weeds was the dog's bollocks, however Orange was unmitigated shite. So hopefully Kohan makes a glorious return to the standards of Weeds first 3 seasons.

#11 BruiserBrody

BruiserBrody
  • Members
  • 807 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 12:03 AM

Pervy pitchman and a bevy of women running afoul of one another.  

Eh, could be fun? 

#12 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 01:48 PM

Everybody!!! Alison Brie has signed on for this! 

http://www.hollywood...-netflix-923886

#13 El-P

El-P
  • Members
  • 8859 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:09 PM

No idea who she is. But I'm all for it. :)

#14 Strummer

Strummer
  • Members
  • 4105 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 02:36 PM

Alison Brie dressed as Becky the farmer's daughter, umm.... , dear.... ,ummmm.... Oh sorry blacked out there for awhile. This is obvs. great news!!!

#15 Grimmas

Grimmas

a Wrestling Feminist

• Members
  • 7882 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

No idea who she is. But I'm all for it. :)

Mad Men.

Community.

She's a hilarious and talented actress.

#16 Cox

Cox
  • Members
  • 1768 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 04:10 PM

I think Alison Brie has gone to PWG shows with Gillian Jacobs, so I could see her being a pretty good fit for this.

#17 SomethingSavage

SomethingSavage
  • Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:10 AM

Alison Brie is fantastic. She seems to have a GREAT sense of humor. And it doesn't hurt that she's hotter than a fox in wool socks either.

Thought she totally stole the show from the two headliners in Get Hard. Her role in something like The Five Year Engagement is much more understated, but she still finds a way to stand out. If it weren't for her and Chris Pratt, that thing would've died a slow & plodding death.

On the surface, Brie should be a great fit for Kohan's style. Her character from Bojack Horseman or even Sleeping With Other People feels right at home with Kohan's other lead protagonists.

#18 Sidebottom

Sidebottom
  • Members
  • 1119 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 06:53 AM

Another board is ripping this apart which is so telling of a negativity I absolutely hate about certain boards and their willingness to try and tear something down before they have even seen it (hell, before it's even been made).Bitter, bitter stuff.

I'm all for any new wrestling programme / content. If it isn't good I simply won't watch. But I go into everything with open eyes and ears looking to enjoy it. I think it makes me a far less pessimistic and bitter being.  

#19 supremebve

supremebve
  • Members
  • 318 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:37 AM

So, there are dudes(I'm assuming they are dudes, just like 90% of every other wrestling message board) are complaining about watching Alison Brie in a wrestling outfit?  Look, I don't know if this show is going to be great or horrible, but if I know that fine assed Alison Brie is going to be the star, I'm willing to at least give it a shot.  It is a Netflix show, which takes absolutely zero investment.  You literally can't watch a Netflix show unless you choose to watch it, what exactly is there to complain about.  There is absolutely no way for anyone to know whether or not this show is going to be good or bad at this point, but Alison Brie has been good in everything I've ever seen her in and that is before she got into a wrestling outfit.

#20 goc

goc

A disgrace to Joe Blanchard

• Members
  • 7420 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 08:41 AM

Another board is ripping this apart which is so telling of a negativity I absolutely hate about certain boards and their willingness to try and tear something down before they have even seen it (hell, before it's even been made).Bitter, bitter stuff.

I'm all for any new wrestling programme / content. If it isn't good I simply won't watch. But I go into everything with open eyes and ears looking to enjoy it. I think it makes me a far less pessimistic and bitter being.  

Of course they are negative, it's a freaking comedy show about wrestling. For one thing wrestling is super serious and there should never be any comedy related to it whatsoever. Also, it's not even going to have matches and the only reason that any wrestling programming should exist is to give us 5 star matches. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users