Pro Wrestling Only

[2016-06-08-WWE-NXT Takeover: The End] Asuka vs Nia Jax

GOTNW

This was fascinating to watch. Nia Jax has no presence whatsoever and carried herself like she is much smaller than she is. She deserves more opportunities than someone of lesser size because (I assume) it's harder to find someone her size and you need as much variety as you can get. This felt very much like a Kiyoshi Tamura U-Style match against a not big name in that while it wasn't a total squash it felt close to it. At no point did you get the impression Asuka was in danger. It was interesting to see Asuka feed herself submissions and kicks and work around Nia. If Nia *got* the most fundamental things about her character I'd have advocated working a different much and would argue that one could have been much better, but as it stands I'll gladly take this since no one else is doing Kiyoshi Tamura vs Tom Burton right now. ***1/4

• 1 month later...

Nia Jax gets her second Takeover title shot after taking out Bayley then winning a number one contenders match. This match felt like you were watching Asuka wrestling a bear. She had success moving quick and setting up her attack, but once she moved in close Jax was able to use her size and strength to just maul her. While Asuka was able to get quite a few submission attempts, she was never really able to hold onto them for long. I did enjoy the finish when Asuka just starts hitting Jax in the head and Nia ends up putting too much stock into her Samoan heritage, thinking she can survive it but it ends up costing her in the end. ***3/4

• 1 year later...

NXT Women's Champion Asuka vs Nia Jax - NXT Takeover 6/8/16

Asuka makes submission wrestling great again. Her chaining into submissions were breath-taking as they were compelling. She makes submissions engrossing because they ought to be done in a flash. Her transition into the Octopus or the triangle were insane. I liked the callback to the Bayley match where she tried to use to guillotine choke to defeat the monstrous Nia. I feel like it has been recently that Nia has found her presence in the ring as a monster. There were great moments early like the headbutt and the awesome biel that sent Asuka flying. But other times, she lacked that killer instinct. That Vader-esque feel even if she has the Vader look. That was the biggest detriment to the match. She kept up with Asuka that suplex out of the choke was great as was the back breaker out of the octopus as cutoffs. Mia acquitted herself well on the mat following her into the triangle. She just was not as menacing as I would hope. After three strong submission attempts, Asuka gets a tight kneebar which always spells doom for these larger wrestlers. Nia missed a legdrop and now Asuka hits a Shining Wizard. This is what Asuka needed was a head shot. By rocking her in the head it opened her to new opportunities. Like missile dropkick and nasty backfists. In the buildup, Asuka went for an armbar and Nia just destroyed her with a powerbomb. Again here Nia hits her with a huge power bomb as a counter. The layout of this is spectacular. So many great Hope spots and cutoffs. OMG! ASUKA CROSS ARMBREAKER OUT OF THE COVER! Asuka flash counterwrestling submissions as Hope spots have been stellar. Nia is too big for the AsukaLock so Asuka just kicks her head off in a great finish stretch.

Nia Jax executed the layout well with great cutoffs and actually good selling at the end. She just has no character in between moves. Asuka was stellar in the David role using submissions well as Hope spots but it was head shots, Shining Wizard & kicks to head that won her the day. She was great at selling and firing up. This was a great example of Asuka the ring General and her unique take on David vs Goliath. ****1/4

• GSR changed the title to [2016-06-08-WWE-NXT Takeover: The End] Asuka vs Nia Jax