Pro Wrestling Only

Reactions to the GWE Tag Team List - Top 25

funkdoc

Hello, figured this thread should go up now that we've gotten down to the 25!

not many big surprises thus far, but Demolition shocked me. even given all the love they've gotten on this board, i thought there was no way they break the 25.

all of my predicted top 10 teams are still alive thus far...but so are the Hart Foundation/Bulldogs/Road Warriors. if more people cared as much about the tag ballot as the singles one, i imagine those would be the HHH/Sting/Rock of this list.

Here's the list I submitted (including comments I wrote before the results were posted)...

1. Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada… THE greatest tag team ever.

2. Giant Baba & Jumbo Tsuruta… Probably the best team of the 1970s.

3. Dan Kroffat & Doug Furnas… Probably the best gaijin tag team of All Japan.

4. Kenta Kobashi & Mtsuharu Misawa… Arguably the best babyface tag team of the 1990s.

5. Fantastics… Very underrated tag team. I hope they will end up high on the end list, because they are one of the best tag teams ever.

6. Ted DiBiase & Steve Williams… DiBiase & Williams were probably the best tag team in Mid-South wrestling. They had lots of exciting matches against a wide variety of opponents. Their style was very physical and intense. They were great as a heel team and as a babyface team.

7. Dory Jr. & Terry Funk… Their classics from Japan are still some of my favourite matches to watch nowadays.

8. Akira Taue & Jumbo Tsuruta… Definitely one of the top 10 All Japan teams ever.

9. Rockers… I wouldn’t be surprised if the Rockers end up on almost everyone’s list. They did great things in the AWA and they were arguably the best WWF tag team ever. Both Marty Jannetty and Shawn Michaels were great workers during their time as a tag team.

10. The Midnight Express (Dennis Condrey & Bobby Eaton)… Arguably the greatest heel tag team ever.

11. Footloose… Fuyuki was at his peak while being part of Footloose. Kawada was showing the world he was about to become one of the best.

12. The Midnight Express (Bobby Eaton & Stan Lane)… Almost as great as the Condrey & Eaton version of the Midnight Express.

13. Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard… They were a top tag team in JCP and WWF.

14. Genichiro Tenryu & Jumbo Tsuruta… One of the best Japanese tag teams of the mid-1980s.

15. Double Inoue… One of the best joshi puroresu teams that teamed for a decent amount of time.

16. Etsuko Mita & Mima Shimoda… Their brawling style matches were memorable and are still worth watching after all those years.

17. Jumping Bomb Angels… This joshi puroresu tag team was surprisingly over and successful in the WWF.

18. Hart Foundation… One of my favourite tag teams when I started watching. I still think their performances were of high quality. Even though they won’t rank as highly as most of the top All Japan teams, they still deserve to be on the list.

19. Sheepherders… Great brawlers. People who only know about their Bushwhackers run are usually surprised to learn about their bloody brawls from before they entered the WWF.

20. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Express… Even though Ricky Morton did most of the work, this team has been one of the most memorable tag teams of all time.

21. Crush Gals… They were extremely over and they worked several memorable matches during the 1980s.

22. Manami Toyota & Toshiyo Yamada… Even though they were technically not a really great tag team, they ended up having exciting matches that were memorable. Several of their matches are still considered classics.

23. Kenta Kobashi & Tsuyoshi Kikuchi… They participated in some classics, but they didn’t team for all that long.

24. Hayabusa & Jinsei Shinzaki… I am a mark for them. Perhaps somewhat of a guilty pleasure, but I think they were an intriguing tag team combination that always seemed to overachieve. They often had better showings as a tag team than what was expected from them.

25. British Bulldogs… They used to be one of my favourite tag teams. They are obviously a legendary tag team. But, their stock has dropped a lot over the years. It will be interesting to see how people rank them in 2016. I admit that I’m giving them the #25 spot mostly because of nostalgia.

That list turned out pretty solid.

What a showing for the Midnights as a franchise (and Eaton as a tag wrestler)! 2/3 of the top spots ain't bad

I used to be a little low on the Rock-n-Rolls. I liked them when I was young but got really tired of them. Recently I have sort of been in awe of them again as I rewatched some stuff and saw them for the first time in places like Mid-South. If I had voted I probably would have had them around 5, but they would be #1 or #2 if I were voting today.

I am both surprised that the Briscoes turned up where they did, and a little disappointed they weren't higher.

I am honestly surprised The Holy Demon Arm weren't higher. I pegged them as #3 at WORST.

I know the run was relatively short, but Hansen and Gordy were great. Gordy was my favorite Hansen and I would have had them pretty high, possibly too high.

Overall I liked the list. RNR as #1 was my choice as well. Glad to see them get that spot.

Would of liked to see the match recommendations posted for every team. I sent at least 2 for every team I voted for. I wanted to see some others I didn't know about possibly, especially for the teams I didn't vote for.

Great job to the ones who took the time to post all of tag team lists. It was fun to look at everyday.

Ohhh yeah, I wanted to thank those who worked to get this up to. I have been looking forward to seeing it. It is a shame there seems to be a bit of a lull in the board after the singles list because I thought the tag list was really compelling with some potential talking points. Nice work all around.